The Student Room Group

Aerospace Engineering 2015 Applicants

I'm currently studying physics, maths, chemistry and AS further maths. Predicted AA*AA respectively.

Have applied to Sheffield, Leeds, Bristol, Bath and Hertfordshire (insurance).

What about all you others out there?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

I'm studying A-Level Maths, Further maths and physics. Predicted A*A*A. I'm applying to Bath,Bristol,Southampton, Manchester and I'm not sure of the last one. Did you get any work experience?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I haven't managed to find any work experience around where I live(north east), have you? The only thing other than the grades that I have is an aero based EPQ.

Posted from TSR Mobile
not really. My EPQ is based on aero as well. I did some 6 weeks work placement but that has nothing to do with aerospace, just general engineering

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't worry about work experience for aerospace specifically since it is very hard to find. I didn't do any Aerospace or any engineering work experience (or any engineering at school for that matter) and i got in fine. Concentrate on getting the transferable skills that are needed and of course, those all important grades.

FYI, be prepared for some long days and i would also recommend avoiding going for catered accommodation when you do apply for accommodation. I was placed in catered and it is a right pain having to get back from Uni after a 5pm lecture (so finish at 6pm), and get back in time (Uni is 30min walk away) before the main catered diner closes at 7pm.
Reply 5
Thanks for the heads up. Which university did/do you go to?
Original post by peterglass
Thanks for the heads up. Which university did/do you go to?

I am currently at the University of Sheffield (First Year) and i'm enjoying it very much so far. Sheffield currently has a new Engineering building being built and that will be ready for next year which i can't wait to be in. Sheffield was my insurance choice (Bristol Firm), which is why i ended up in catered accommodation, but it hasn't been too bad to be fair and there are plenty of places to eat during the day using the catered card we get given, it is only night it can get a bit of a rush after a late lecture.
wow. I am also applying aerospace but not as smart as u guys ^^ Predicted : ABB and doing product design, physics, maths.
Applying to swansea, liverpool, brunel, manchester, queen mary
Reply 8
I recently got my offer from Sheffield for Aerospace Engineering with a Year in North America. Do you know anyone in the uni who does/has done the same course? Also, what is the course like there? I'd appreciate a lot if you could reply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Is it still a good idea to do Aerospace eng. following the massive job cuts at Rolls Royce?
Original post by ubisoft
Is it still a good idea to do Aerospace eng. following the massive job cuts at Rolls Royce?

I'd say yes. I applied to Aerospace this year. An Aerospace degree doesn't necessarily mean you have to work for a aerospace company like Airbus or NASA. It's also a mechanical engineering degree so you can get a job in other engineering disciplines after.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
I'm applying for Aerospace at Southampton and Loughborough (and some Mechanical engineering/ Electromechanical engineering courses as I'm sponsored by the RAF so only have 5 uni's to chose from, where only 2 do aero). Prediced A*AB in Electronics, Physics and Maths in that order.

Would want to leave the RAF after a number of years and work for NASA or Formula 1 though.
Guys, in general, work experience won't matter too much, I'm in first year at Sheffield and by far the majority do not have work experience in engineering, let alone aerospace specifically.

Original post by peterglass
I recently got my offer from Sheffield for Aerospace Engineering with a Year in North America. Do you know anyone in the uni who does/has done the same course? Also, what is the course like there? I'd appreciate a lot if you could reply.

Posted from TSR Mobile

From what I understand, the year in North America course isn't a simple as just signing up for it at the start, there are actually only something like 2 places and the people who get those places are decided at the end of second year. Whether this is the same at other uni's, I'm not sure.

Original post by bigboateng
I'd say yes. I applied to Aerospace this year. An Aerospace degree doesn't necessarily mean you have to work for a aerospace company like Airbus or NASA. It's also a mechanical engineering degree so you can get a job in other engineering disciplines after.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's also a materials science degree depending on the uni you go to, and since it's an engineering degree you can always convert to other disciplines in your masters if you only do the BEng.

Original post by Beanos
I'm applying for Aerospace at Southampton and Loughborough (and some Mechanical engineering/ Electromechanical engineering courses as I'm sponsored by the RAF so only have 5 uni's to chose from, where only 2 do aero). Prediced A*AB in Electronics, Physics and Maths in that order.

Would want to leave the RAF after a number of years and work for NASA or Formula 1 though.

Be careful with aiming for NASA as it's pretty much only open to US citizens with maybe a small handful being from abroad, and this is the case with most of the US aerospace industry due to federal restrictions.
Reply 13
I am applying to Bath(first choice) > surrey > southampton > sheffield > man U(insurance) and all choices are with one year in industry.
I got predicted A*AA in maths, furtherM and physic respectively. In which i didn't have any work experience as well, but I had studied the course PPL and had passed my theory test. Have you guys got any offers from the unis mentioned above?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
I'm predicted A*AC and I really wanna apply to Sheffield but I'm not sure whether I'm gonna get a straight rejection considering my predicted grades :/
Reply 15
Original post by nooriii
It depends on what your C is predicted in tbh, I applied with ABB with a prediction of A in maths, and I still got an offer from them. I think that as long as you get a high grade in maths or physics, they might consider you.

It's A in math C in physics
Reply 16
What are the best unis for Aerospace? I'm predicted A*A*A
Original post by sarac497
I'm predicted A*AC and I really wanna apply to Sheffield but I'm not sure whether I'm gonna get a straight rejection considering my predicted grades :/

Sheffield are quite lenient with grades so they'll probably give you an offer, if not they'd probably let you in through clearing or adjustment if you got those grades.If the C's in Physics it might be a bit more complicated, although they go through pretty much all of the relevant A level content in the first 3-4 weeks so they might see that as enough preparation.
Original post by ubisoft
What are the best unis for Aerospace? I'm predicted A*A*A

In general, Cambridge, Bath, Imperial, Southampton, Bristol, Sheffield, Loughborough, Surrey. If you want a career in the space industry, Surrey and Southampton are probably your best bets
Reply 19
Original post by Helloworld_95
In general, Cambridge, Bath, Imperial, Southampton, Bristol, Sheffield, Loughborough, Surrey. If you want a career in the space industry, Surrey and Southampton are probably your best bets

I visited Bath and Bristol but didn't like the city at all :s-smilie:

Is Manchester any good? and how would you say the job prospects are considering what happened at RR? wouldn't the market be saturated?

Quick Reply

Latest