The Student Room Group

A-LEVEL RESIT RULES - Will I be able to resit?

Hey guys,

Short question; Will I be able to resit?

Here's a bit of background. In 2013 I finished my A-Levels, due to medical issues my final exams were all Us and I ended up losing all my offers! (Including one for Cambridge, no less :frown: )

Throughout 2014 I was still struggling with mental illness but I'd already planned to retake my final exams. I still wasn't really ready and whilst I ended up with a few good grades, a selection of exams fell short of what I expect I can actually do.

Now, as 2015 is just around the corner, I'm wondering if its still possible to retake (for a second time) a few of these exams; will the grades still count and be aggregated into the overall A-Level? Or will they not count etc. I know rules have changed recently and I have no idea if I can resit.

Really hope someone here can help, thanks.
Original post by Enamel7
Hey guys,

Short question; Will I be able to resit?

Here's a bit of background. In 2013 I finished my A-Levels, due to medical issues my final exams were all Us and I ended up losing all my offers! (Including one for Cambridge, no less :frown: )

Throughout 2014 I was still struggling with mental illness but I'd already planned to retake my final exams. I still wasn't really ready and whilst I ended up with a few good grades, a selection of exams fell short of what I expect I can actually do.

Now, as 2015 is just around the corner, I'm wondering if its still possible to retake (for a second time) a few of these exams; will the grades still count and be aggregated into the overall A-Level? Or will they not count etc. I know rules have changed recently and I have no idea if I can resit.

Really hope someone here can help, thanks.

The only rule change is that there are no longer any January exams.
You can resit any of your units and the results will be used to calculate new overall grades.
Under current rules there are no restrictions on which units you can retake or how often.
There are plans to introduce new A levels starting in 2015. If these go ahead, the last resit opportunity in some subjects will be summer 2016.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Thanks so much for the info. Can I just confirm that's completely correct; even though I sat my AS levels in May/June 2012, and my A2s first in 2013 then again 2014: I can still sit A2s in 2015 and they'll be combined into the grade using the standard "highest mark counts" system?

Just seems too good to be true is all! Thanks again.
Original post by Enamel7
Thanks so much for the info. Can I just confirm that's completely correct; even though I sat my AS levels in May/June 2012, and my A2s first in 2013 then again 2014: I can still sit A2s in 2015 and they'll be combined into the grade using the standard "highest mark counts" system?

Just seems too good to be true is all! Thanks again.

Compost

Hopefully another user who understands the exam system can confirm I'm telling the truth :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
I *think* that providing it's within two years of your first attempt you'll be fine, but hopefully someone else who's more certain on it will come along and let you know!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Yeah I seem to vaguely remember something about a two year rule, which is what bothered me in the first place; not sure if it exists and how it works. If I sat my AS's in 2012, does that still prevent me from sitting A2s three years later for instance? Or am I safe since it will be only two years since my A2s in summer 2015 - will I be prevented from certifications the whole qualification since or just the modules that we're sat more than three years ago etc.

Cant seem to find anything on exam board / ofqual sites but they're hardly the most accessible sites in the world...
Reply 6
Original post by gdunne42
Hopefully another user who understands the exam system can confirm I'm telling the truth :smile:

I agree with GDunne42.

The only limit on re-sitting is the life of the specification. You can re-sit whatever you want in Summer 2015, cash-in again and your best attempt at each unit is the one that will count for the overall grade(s).
Reply 7
Original post by Enamel7
Yeah I seem to vaguely remember something about a two year rule.

Don't worry, there is no 2 year rule. The rules, should you wish to check, are here: http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/entries/gce-entry-information-incltransfer-of-credit/gce-entry-aggregation-and-certification-20142015

Quick Reply

Latest