The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Bristol Maths and CompSci Visit Day

I have an "invitation" to attend a "visit day" at Bristol for the above course.

Does this mean that I am likely to get an offer, or is it really a stealth interview?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by UpInTheMorning
I have an "invitation" to attend a "visit day" at Bristol for the above course.

Does this mean that I am likely to get an offer, or is it really a stealth interview?

I had 4 of those visit days and one of them was at Bristol. I had offers from all of the universities who invited me. The interview was an informal group one and the person who was "interviewing" us didn't take any notes. The purpose of the visit days are to help you decide if that university is the right place for you. At Southampton the interviewer even told me to not worry about it, as I'd get an offer anyway, so I'm assuming that yes, you will get an offer. Congratulations!

Edit: that doesn't mean to go there without being prepared! If they really like you, chances are they will make you a lower offer than usual - at least that's what I've been told.
(edited 9 years ago)
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by octionut
I had 4 of those visit days and one of them was at Bristol. I had offers from all of the universities who invited me. The interview was an informal group one and the person who was "interviewing" us didn't take any notes. The purpose of the visit days are to help you decide if that university is the right place for you. At Southampton the interviewer even told me to not worry about it, as I'd get an offer anyway, so I'm assuming that yes, you will get an offer. Congratulations!

Edit: that doesn't mean to go there without being prepared! If they really like you, chances are they will make you a lower offer than usual - at least that's what I've been told.

Cheers.
Original post by UpInTheMorning
Cheers.

I have one too! What date are you going?
Wednesday 29th October.

You?
Reply 5
I'm going on the 29th. :^)
Reply 6
Anyone going on the 12th November one? I'm applying for straight Comp Sci :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Kinda worried about the group discussion...I don't even have answers to the "how did you get into computer science" sort of questions, it just kinda happened...
Reply 8
Original post by BenF2409
Kinda worried about the group discussion...I don't even have answers to the "how did you get into computer science" sort of questions, it just kinda happened...

I'm hoping it's much more informal than is implied haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by CD223
I'm hoping it's much more informal than is implied haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was okay in the end. We were split into groups of 5 or so and assigned to a lecturer person. Our group was asked "What areas are you interested in?" "Any programming experience?" "Any projects/work experience?" and that was it. I did have a bit of difficulty as I wasn't doing Computing A-Level while everyone else was but it wasn't that bad.
Reply 10
It was okay in the end. We were split into groups of 5 or so and assigned to a lecturer person. Our group was asked "What areas are you interested in?" "Any programming experience?" "Any projects/work experience?" and that was it. I did have a bit of difficulty as I wasn't doing Computing A-Level while everyone else was but it wasn't that bad.

Thank you very much for the insight! Any helpful tips/things to look out for? I'm going on my own so I don't know how much info I'll miss out on if there's anything for guests. Am I likely to be disadvantaged?
Original post by CD223
Thank you very much for the insight! Any helpful tips/things to look out for? I'm going on my own so I don't know how much info I'll miss out on if there's anything for guests. Am I likely to be disadvantaged?

There is a Q&A for the guests, however I didn't actually hear anything from that in the end except for how many people are accepted onto the course. You shouldn't be disadvantaged at all.
Reply 12
There is a Q&A for the guests, however I didn't actually hear anything from that in the end except for how many people are accepted onto the course. You shouldn't be disadvantaged at all.

How many people are accepted to the course?
Original post by kylesg
How many people are accepted to the course?

Can't remember exactly for each course, but for straight computer science it's around 80 for 2015 (there were over 700 applicants in 2013). Maths and Compsci is 16 places, with over 100 applicants in 2013
Reply 14
Can't remember exactly for each course, but for straight computer science it's around 80 for 2015 (there were over 700 applicants in 2013). Maths and Compsci is 16 places, with over 100 applicants in 2013

Yeah what I don't get is why this website says they give offers to 79% of applicants: http://university.which.co.uk/university-of-bristol-b78/computer-science-4-years-9000-g403
Original post by kylesg
Yeah what I don't get is why this website says they give offers to 79% of applicants: http://university.which.co.uk/university-of-bristol-b78/computer-science-4-years-9000-g403

Weird. Could perhaps bear in mind that not every applicant is invited to a visit day and some get rejected before even reaching that stage, although that still wouldn't lower the numbers enough for that percentage to make sense.

EDIT: Wait, don't bear that in mind. Just realised why I was wrong.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16

Thanks! Good luck!
I'm going in the 2nd of December!
Anyone else?
Original post by CD223
Anyone going on the 12th November one? I'm applying for straight Comp Sci :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am! :smile:

Weird. Could perhaps bear in mind that not every applicant is invited to a visit day and some get rejected before even reaching that stage, although that still wouldn't lower the numbers enough for that percentage to make sense.

EDIT: Wait, don't bear that in mind. Just realised why I was wrong.

Matriculation rate isn't the same as offer rate; They might indeed give that many offers (Though I doubt it?) and they just get turned down as the students go to other unis; I'd bet most A*AA+ courses have most applicants applying to Cam/Oxf/ICL/UCL/etc which they would prefer more and thus a lot of people turning down the offers if that makes sense.
So who went? Felt like I kind of messed up the group interview

Quick Reply