The Student Room Group

Computer Science applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TVIO
Cambridge/UCL. Imperial offer was horrendous but really wanted to insure it, loved it when I went. How's your one?

Nice! Imp/Bath for me, didn't like UCL at all.
Reply 921
Original post by Brubeckian
Nice! Imp/Bath for me, didn't like UCL at all.

Was tempted to insure Bath but loved London too much
Reply 922
Has anyone firmed Warwick?
Original post by TheCapn
Has anyone firmed Warwick?

Me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 924
Oh, nice!!
Original post by TheCapn
Oh, nice!!

Have you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 926
Original post by lollipopsftw

Yes Indeed :smile:
CompSci with Artifical Intelligence (Although I may switch to just CompSci)
Doing a BTEC Ext Diploma in IT and predicted (D*D*D*)
A2 Grade C in Maths
Firm choice is Loughborough with DDD
Insurance is Heriot Watt with DDM
Hey guys I got a question for you all, if you were a 1st year student and you had to choice to either transfer to Queen Mary to study Computer Science 2nd year or Kings College London to study Computer Science 1st year, what would you choose and why? Thanks
Original post by KoolKid123786007
Hey guys I got a question for you all, if you were a 1st year student and you had to choice to either transfer to Queen Mary to study Computer Science 2nd year or Kings College London to study Computer Science 1st year, what would you choose and why? Thanks

KCL because it's more "prestigious" which means the course is likely to be more rigorous/worthwhile.

Edit: Just noticed the first year/second year difference. Is the difference in "prestige"/course quality worth an extra year of studies/debt to you? If so, KCL. If not, QMUL.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by UpInTheMorning
KCL because it's more "prestigious" which means the course is likely to be more rigorous/worthwhile.

Edit: Just noticed the first year/second year difference. Is the difference in "prestige"/course quality worth an extra year of studies/debt to you? If so, KCL. If not, QMUL.

Okay thanks for the advice :biggrin: that was exactly what I was looking for, anyone else got any other opinions?
Firmed Loughborough, and insured Leicester Uni. Excited about it, though gotta say, the offer was a bit steep - predicted of AABBBB (Irish LC), offer was AAAABB. Fingers crossed for the best though, got to keep my head down and work hard now!!

Good luck to others in their exams too !!
Original post by KoolKid123786007
Okay thanks for the advice :biggrin: that was exactly what I was looking for, anyone else got any other opinions?

I don't think KCL's prestige is worth waiting a year, go to QMUL - it's a good university.
Original post by Brubeckian
I don't think KCL's prestige is worth waiting a year, go to QMUL - it's a good university.

Hey, I have heard that feedback on work is poorly managed, you don't receive much help and attention from lecturers and the computer science "area" is isolated from the rest of the uni at QM, one of the Computer Science students at QM told me this on one of the other forums. So, the university might be good as it is a Russell University but for Computer Science it may not be as good in comparison to Kings.
Is IT part of computer science/Computing. I swear there's a huge difference between IT and computing

Posted from TSR Mobiley
Original post by lllllllllll
Is IT part of computer science/Computing. I swear there's a huge difference between IT and computing

Posted from TSR Mobiley

BSc ICT is more like a balence of Computing and Business but you do still do some Computer science modules like programming, networks etc but then you also have to do a lot of business modules and stuff like information systems and databases etc. I did a BTEC level 3 in IT at college and it covered a lot of theory and programming and was basically the same as Computing A levels and some of the modules were the same as some modules on my Computer Science degeee

BSc Computer Science is more theoretical and covers programming, maths and then computing based theory and BSc Computing is basically Computer Science with out the heavy maths content and in my opinion Computing courses don't go into enough depth from what I've seen however the Computing course at Imperial is a BEng and looks very much maths based
Original post by lllllllllll

Posted from TSR Mobiley

It's a massive gulf.

Computer Science (Computing at Imperial) is to do with the theory of computation and complexity. It is a branch of Mathematics that is highly quantitative in its purest form.

There are, obviously, programming/practical elements but they are there to apply the theories rather than train you in programming.

These degrees are usually taught at more respected universities and, because of the knowledge of the fundamentals, employers seem to target these graduates.

IT is mostly concerned with the intersection of business and computing. Databases, Information Systems, Project management are more the topics you'll find in a typical IT course. I'm quite weary of these because they tend to be taught at universities that aren't as respected and the unemployment rate for these courses are fairly high.

That said, if its something that you are convinced you enjoy and have the means of securing work experience it can be an OK choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Princepieman
It's a massive gulf.

Computer Science (Computing at Imperial) is to do with the theory of computation and complexity. It is a branch of Mathematics that is highly quantitative in its purest form.

There are, obviously, programming/practical elements but they are there to apply the theories rather than train you in programming.

These degrees are usually taught at more respected universities and, because of the knowledge of the fundamentals, employers seem to target these graduates.

IT is mostly concerned with the intersection of business and computing. Databases, Information Systems, Project management are more the topics you'll find in a typical IT course. I'm quite early of these because they tend to be taught at universities that aren't as respected and the unemployment rate for these courses are fairly high.

That said, if its something that you are convinced you enjoy and have the means of securing work experience it can be an OK choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure you're right in saying that IT degrees are offered at less respected universities because Southampton and UCL offer it and offer CS modules like CS Fundamentals and Programming.

However I do agree with you Computer Science is a better choice, however most of the people who study Computer Science usually end up in software engineering so having slightly more programming than maths is good, I currently do 2 Maths modules, 3 programming and 2 computing based theory modules and that seems a good balance
Original post by Princepieman
It's a massive gulf.

IT is mostly concerned with the intersection of business and computing. Databases, Information Systems, Project management are more the topics you'll find in a typical IT course. I'm quite weary of these because they tend to be taught at universities that aren't as respected and the unemployment rate for these courses are fairly high.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're completely right that ICT and Computer Science are fundamentally very difference topics. Unfortunately, some universities (generally those further down the league tables) like to blur these lines, offering modules on "computer science" courses which are more akin to ICT than anything else.

The same goes for AQA and their so-called "Computing" AS-level, of which the Unit 2 exam contains questions on such topics as "classification of software" (the operating system, word processors, spreadsheets, etc), "uses of hardware" (a memory card can be used in a digital camera!), "basic web design" (we're talking really basic here), and "why is downloading music for free bad?". I'm very glad that I accidentally fell in love with Chemistry this year so that I don't have to put up with this rubbish for another year.
Original post by marioman
You're completely right that ICT and Computer Science are fundamentally very difference topics. Unfortunately, some universities (generally those further down the league tables) like to blur these lines, offering modules on "computer science" courses which are more akin to ICT than anything else.

The same goes for AQA and their so-called "Computing" AS-level, of which the Unit 2 exam contains questions on such topics as "classification of software" (the operating system, word processors, spreadsheets, etc), "uses of hardware" (a memory card can be used in a digital camera!), "basic web design" (we're talking really basic here), and "why is downloading music for free bad?". I'm very glad that I accidentally fell in love with Chemistry this year so that I don't have to put up with this rubbish for another year.

Hahahaha, it's pretty much the same up here in Scotland! Albeit, we have to use a couple more equations/binary representation but it's still very much basic.

That's a good thing for me because it's basically an easy A. I've been averaging like 95-98% without revising at all.

Good luck with Chem by the way, it looks fairly interesting. I only took Maths+Phys.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending