The Student Room Group

Been Scammed At College

I did a level 3 Health & Social Care and I completed all the work and passed every unit and only got a certificate of unit and not my final grade. After two years they finally contact me and say that I've only got 150 credits and not 180 as required. I don't understand the credits because I assumed if we pass all the units we would pass the whole course. They never explained any of this. And now I have a feeling there was one unit we weren't taught. Also one of the units I did is missing on my unit of certification that my tutor said I passed.

I don't understand how this is possible? I passed every unit and the tutor even let me finish early. Now the tutor has left the college said there is nothing they can do. I spent a lot of money on this course. I can't believe the college has lied to me and flat out scammed me in this manner.

I was forced to pay a lot whilst other students got away with not passing. I don't understand how the college has gotten away with this scam. Other students had the same problem. We put so much hard work in and only the ones that went to university got their certificates.

I'll never be able to get my money back or the qualification I worked so hard to get.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by chloboshoka
I did a level 3 Health & Social Care and I completed all the work and passed every unit and only got a certificate of unit and not my final grade. After two years they finally contact me and say that I've only got 150 credits and not 180 as required. I don't understand the credits because I assumed if we pass all the units we would pass the whole course. They never explained any of this. And now I have a feeling there was one unit we weren't taught. Also one of the units I did is missing on my unit of certification that my tutor said I passed.

I don't understand how this is possible? I passed every unit and the tutor even let me finish early. Now the tutor has left the college said there is nothing they can do. I spent a lot of money on this course. I can't believe the college has lied to me and flat out scammed me in this manner.

I was forced to pay a lot whilst other students got away with not passing. I don't understand how the college has gotten away with this scam. Other students had the same problem. We put so much hard work in and only the ones that went to university got their certificates.

I'll never be able to get my money back or the qualification I worked so hard to get.

I'm not completely sure how you go about dealing with this, but it's not fair whatsoever. I would probably get in touch with the examination board and tell them what's happened?
Reply 2
I've done further enquiries about more details. They said I failed Unit 1, 4 and 5 which where refered and I had to do more work on. But these units that I gad failed the first time, I went and upgraded them. I have completed and they are in my folder. I've submitted Unit 4 14 times because they kept saying they never got it when they did. These three units are in my college folder completed if they checked it over they would see that they passed but knowing college since it's old work they've most likely destroyed the work. I actually sat with my tutor and looked and these units and she said that I passed them.

I tried contacting the examination board and no response when I emailed. But I can't remember my BTEC number so I can't do anything. The fact is that I have been lied to, the tutor said I passed everything but apprently I haven't. They probally even looked at my upgraded work and just left it. Why did they never contact me? Why did they make me go home early? How can a college be so badly run. Just because I never went to University, dosen't mean my education should be neglected.
(edited 9 years ago)
I've done further enquiries about more details. They said I failed Unit 1, 4 and 5 which where refereed and I had to do more work on. But these units that I gad failed the first time, I went and upgraded them. I have completed and they are in my folder. I've submitted Unit 4 14 times because they kept saying they never got it when they did. These three units are in my college folder completed if they checked it over they would see that they passed but knowing college since it's old work they've most likely destroyed the work. I actually sat with my tutor and looked and these units and she said that I passed them.

I tried contacting the examination board and no response when I emailed. But I can't remember my BTEC number so I can't do anything.

If I was in this situation, I would go to the college and ask to speak to someone with a bit more authority! Take all your work, and show them that it's been done and say what you've just told me. Demand your BTEC number from them. I know when I was at college, the work was kept on file for a few years.
Reply 4
Original post by Hereicome
If I was in this situation, I would go to the college and ask to speak to someone with a bit more authority! Take all your work, and show them that it's been done and say what you've just told me. Demand your BTEC number from them. I know when I was at college, the work was kept on file for a few years.

According to the college's refernces I refered 3 units, but the units they've said I refered are the ones on my certificate that said I've passed.
According to the college's refernces I refered 3 units, but the units they've said I refered are the ones on my certificate that said I've passed.

Then surely all you need to do is show them the certificate that says you have passed them? I think you just need to speak to someone with more authority.
Reply 6
I'm about to email the new course leader. He said if I had proof that I've done those units then he will be able to give me a certificate. :smile: I went to visit but he wasn't there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending