The Student Room Group

General election debates announced-Nigel Farage invited not Greens

Poll

Would you like Nigel Farage debate both David Cameron & Ed Miliband one on one?

The format of the general election debates has been announced and there will be 3 debates. They will have a 2-3-4 format. 2- Cameron vs Miliband 3-LibLabCon 4-LibLabCon and Nigel Farage

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ukip/11158291/Nigel-Farage-invited-to-join-political-leaders-TV-debate.html
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ukip/11158291/Nigel-Farage-invited-to-join-political-leaders-TV-debate.html

What is your view- is UKIP being in 1 out of 3 adequate, too much or not enough? Should the Greens have been included (and I think they should). Also would you like to see have seen Nigel Farage debate David Cameron and Ed Miliband one on one?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

The BBC wants to host a debate between the Conservative, Labour and Liberal Democrat leaders which would be presented by David Dimbleby.

I can't imagine a more powerful advert for UKIP than this.
Original post by thesabbath
I can't imagine a more powerful advert for UKIP than this.

Farage is certainly not going to miss any opportunity to ham up his role as the anti-politics outsider if the main media hand it to him on a plate.

I am pretty disgusted that the Greens are being excluded, since right now they have exactly what UKIP has, namely one MP. Come to that, why isn't Respect allowed a look-in as well?
I think the format should be more like:

- Labour vs Conservative
- Labour, UKIP & Conservative
- Labour, UKIP, Conservative, Greens and Liberal Democrats

I think it's unfair the Greens are left out when they are nearly polling better than the Liberal Democrats.

UKIP are polling way ahead of the Liberal Democrats and should be considered the new third party.

Respect are very similar to the Greens and don't have enough support nationwide to warrant a debate but maybe they could have a mini debate with one of the parties or something lower key.

Was there a logic behind how they reached the current decision?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Only really interested in the LibLabCon and CamMil debates, they are currently the governing parties.

Ukip getting 1 in 3 seems fair enough.

Greens should probably get one.

I don't want that vile Galloway anywhere near my TV, he's yet another blotch on Bradford.
Reply 5
Original post by will2348
I think the format should be more like:

- Labour vs Conservative
- Labour, UKIP & Conservative
- Labour, UKIP, Conservative, Greens and Liberal Democrats

I think it's unfair the Greens are left out when they are nearly polling better than the Liberal Democrats.

UKIP are polling way ahead of the Liberal Democrats and should be considered the new third party.

Respect are very similar to the Greens and don't have enough support nationwide to warrant a debate but maybe they could have a mini debate with one of the parties or something lower key.

Was there a logic behind how they reached the current decision?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The logic is simple, our electoral system being FPTP rather than proportional will ensure that the Lib Dems hold more seats than Ukip.

They also still have more than 4 times the number of Councillors.
Reply 6
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Farage is certainly not going to miss any opportunity to ham up his role as the anti-politics outsider if the main media hand it to him on a plate.

I am pretty disgusted that the Greens are being excluded, since right now they have exactly what UKIP has, namely one MP. Come to that, why isn't Respect allowed a look-in as well?

UKIP did win the EU election and are likely to have a second MP.

How many seats are the Green Party and Respect contesting? UKIP are fielding candidates in all 650 constituencies which is pretty important given the 'leaders' nature of the debate.

If we're going down that route why not include Sinn Fein?
Reply 9
Original post by Rakas21
I don't want that vile Galloway anywhere near my TV, he's yet another blotch on Bradford.

Yet he was sadly the most convincing and commited unionist campaigner at the referendum...
Original post by Rakas21
The logic is simple, our electoral system being FPTP rather than proportional will ensure that the Lib Dems hold more seats than Ukip.

They also still have more than 4 times the number of Councillors.

The Lib Dem vote is indeed very efficient, but then a poll at the weekend had UKIP on 25% nationwide which if sustained would lead to over 100 seats. So you cannot talk about sureties just yet.
Just because a number of parties both have a single MP means nothing. If we had an independent MP, would they need to come to the debate as well? Of course not. In the case of the Respect Party, they have no national appeal. The Green Party have no real appeal outside of Brighton. UKIP, on the other hand, may have only one MP, but they also have national popularity. They have pushed the large parties in practically every election in recent times. UKIP are far more relevant the Green Party.
Alternative format:

Given that Farage has already defeated Clegg in two debates, Clegg shouldn't really appear at all.

Miliband and Cameron should debate each other then Farage can go up against the winner.
Reply 13
The Lib Dem vote is indeed very efficient, but then a poll at the weekend had UKIP on 25% nationwide which if sustained would lead to over 100 seats. So you cannot talk about sureties just yet.

Which is odd as no poll has had them on more than 19% before...
Original post by Quady
Which is odd as no poll has had them on more than 19% before...

Not quite. Survation has had them at 22% and 23% in June, and there was an Opinium/Observer poll in August at 21%. I agree that they are likely outliers but the trend is clear.
Reply 15
Not quite. Survation has had them at 22% and 23% in June, and there was an Opinium/Observer poll in August at 21%. I agree that they are likely outliers but the trend is clear.

Ah true, I hadn't spotted the 21% and not scrolled back enough to June

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election

The 100 seat story was based on them being on 37% in 1 south of England seat which if replicated would have produced 128 mp's on universal swing. The actual numbers suggested 5 MP's and a Labour minority (well done for not getting the EU referendum :tongue:).

If you want to believe that Ukip will replace the Tories in the south then go ahead.. as for me, i'll wait for the ICM since that did very well at the general and european elections.
Original post by Rakas21
The 100 seat story was based on them being on 37% in 1 south of England seat which if replicated would have produced 128 mp's on universal swing. The actual numbers suggested 5 MP's and a Labour minority (well done for not getting the EU referendum :tongue:).

If you want to believe that Ukip will replace the Tories in the south then go ahead.. as for me, i'll wait for the ICM since that did very well at the general and european elections.

Is this an implicit admission that UKIP are the only opposition to Labour in the north? Vote Tory get Labour.
Ridiculous that the Lib Dems are excluded from one of the debates.

I wonder when the Greens, SNP etc can expect their invite?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is this an implicit admission that UKIP are the only opposition to Labour in the north? Vote Tory get Labour.

Ukip has that opportunity in the north east and Wales but the Tories would have to be monumentally stupid to allow you to become the main opposition in Yorkshire or the North West.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending