The Student Room Group

Sick kids should still attend school

Scroll to see replies

Original post by barnetlad
I wonder if there is a connection between those who as children were off sick for minor ailments instead of struggling in, as it were, and those who have high sickness rates for small ailments as adults. The Welsh guidance may be encouraging children to not be lazy and be a lesson for life.

Ye-e-es, but there's a difference between 'it's just a cold, off to school' and 'eh, you're only bleeding out your eyeballs- off to school!'

Also that their stance on foot and mouth goes against the NHS's stance. :confused:
(edited 9 years ago)
Fortunately, most parents (and children) will probably have the common sense to ignore this!
this is ludicrous - this is like saying sick policemen or sick doctors should still go to work; you can't force someone to function properly in a particular moment and if anything you'll make them worse or both themselves and those around them; either they can or can't perform the tasks they're given by the state or their employers and there's nothing you can do. if the problem is skiving, then that will be the responsibility of the child (or parent, depending on their will to enforce attendance to kids who really aren't ill) in terms of their educational success. if it's, then, a problem of wasting tax payer's money, I'd rather see all schools privatised than the government coming to a household and dragging a child out of bed when they are probably ill and forcing them to go to school - it seems hellish as a concept
Original post by Genocidal
I think it has been the way of the world for so long. It's nothing new. The culture of taking sick days is quite a new thing. My opinion is if you can still do the job without killing someone, you shouldn't be staying at home. People tend to take liberties with sick days.

Original post by barnetlad
I wonder if there is a connection between those who as children were off sick for minor ailments instead of struggling in, as it were, and those who have high sickness rates for small ailments as adults. The Welsh guidance may be encouraging children to not be lazy and be a lesson for life.

Having worked in retail and call centres, I would rather people took a day off for sickness than spread a bug around the entire workforce. It's so frustrting when managers try to persuade people to come in at all costs, and then a few days later even more people need time off because they have the same thing, and deal with it worse for whatever reason!

I remember vividly one time I went in feeling a bit sick and having a stomach upset, because I had a class test. I felt awful by breaktime but didn't want to miss the test, went home immediately afterwards, and needed an entire week off - I was passing blood in my stools!!! I should have just stayed home first thing, but I didn't want to be seen as slacking off, or miss anything important.
Ridiculous. Kids should not be going into school with head lice or tonsilitis or if they feel ill in general.

Then again, my mum would let me stay off if I just said "mummy I don't feel well :puppyeyes:" :colondollar:
Original post by Andy98
For me it's literally:
Am I in a coffin?
No:
Go to school
Yes:
What the hell am I doing in a coffin??
Bust my way out
Go to school

If I'm that ill they'll tell me to get lost

Posted from TSR Mobile

but if you have Ebola please do not go to school (it would be beneficial to everyone:smile:)
Reply 26
Original post by toonervoustotalk
but if you have Ebola please do not go to school (it would be beneficial to everyone:smile:)

I won't get Ebola:rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by paradoxicalme
We had an outbreak of tonsillitis in our year (year 13) and it spread to quite a lot of people because the sick ones couldn't afford to take time off school because they'd have to do so much catching up. It's a really sad state of affairs, but once you get into sixth form it seems like you're punished for getting ill. Sometimes people don't even accept homework being late because of illness. People need time to recover.

I know I sound stupid.. BUT does tonsillitis spread?
Original post by Andy98
I won't get Ebola:rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ok thats what everyone says before they get Ebola
Reply 29
Original post by toonervoustotalk
ok thats what everyone says before they get Ebola

It's what everyone says regardless of whether they end up getting Ebola
I used to hate those kids who'd be too afraid to take a day off school even with the flu or something and then they'd spread it to everyone else.
Reply 31
Glandular Fever and tonsillitis,,, seriously! I don't know anything about foot and mouth, I think I can understand the rest (headlice literally take 1 hour to get rid of and have really obvious symptoms) but I've seen what glandular fever can do to adults, it's unpleasant and my brother always used to get tonsillitis and he used to hardly be able to talk or swallow.
I would go to lectures when I was unwell and should probably have stayed in bed, even when I had flu in second year and a chest infection in third year and I took one day off in four years due to food poisoning... but I think this is a bit extreme. Especially seeing as some of the things on that list are contagious. My dad took an entire year off university due to glandular fever: it's no laughing matter. It's one thing for me as an adult to make the decision to drag myself out of bed to do work and quite another to expect a parent to force their child to do the same.
(edited 9 years ago)
This doesn't have anything to do with toncilitus, but I had Rubella and I was off for three weeks. There is a one week incubation period before you start to display symptoms.

At the time, both my French and English teachers were pregnant and rubella can cause mutations in unborn children. :eek:

I could have ended up in a coffin if I hadn't have had the MMR vaccine. My temperature was well over 100 degrees Celsius ! seriously it could have killed me.

My Deputy Head was just like, "It's fine, just don't infect me with it!" She said that I needed to stay off school and my form tutor said the same thing.

If you had something like what I had, why the hell should you have to go to school.
That is a s*** idea if you ask me.:007:
"Slapped cheek"? lol
I generally (unless I'm really, really ill) go into school, feel rubbish, spread whatever I've got to everyone else, they feel rubbish, I get better, they still feel rubbish, and I feel guilty.
Reply 36
I found a policy published by the UK Government, you would be quite suprised at the results. You can look at it here
Would just like to point out that this isn't across the entirety of Wales but only local authorities in South Wales.

Although i do think it is too easy to gain absence at school, the extent at which that booklet goes is far beyond acceptable however i wouldn't be blaming the local authorities but Estyn (Welsh Education Watchdog) which personally i feel that over the recent years there has been too much pressure on schools because of Estyn.

It is clear that this is an issue though, when the focus seems to be on the attendance rather than the education, which quite frankly is not going to be much when you can't concentrate due to illness.
Original post by Maid Marian
Ridiculous. Kids should not be going into school with head lice or tonsilitis or if they feel ill in general.

Then again, my mum would let me stay off if I just said "mummy I don't feel well :puppyeyes:" :colondollar:

Me too :tongue:

I loved a good sickie. Stay in watching tv reading Official Nintendo Magazine and playing video games :moon:
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Me too :tongue:

I loved a good sickie. Stay in watching tv reading Official Nintendo Magazine and playing video games :moon:

I used to stick my head on the radiator to give myself a temperature ... and moan excessively whilst pulling a ridiculous face and clutching my tummy, for "tummy ache". Once I even tried sticking my fingers down my throat to make myself sick ... but that only ended in me gagging horribly and shuddering :erm:
I loved getting to stay in pyjamas and watch daytime telly :moon:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending