The Student Room Group

FDM Group

I'm wondering if anyone knows much about FDM Group, the IT outsourcing company. I've been offered a job there last week, but have been delaying it with them to accept it for a number of reasons.

Basically at FDM you have 12-16 weeks of unpaid training followed by 2 years placements with one of their prestigious clients (HSBC, Virgin Media, UBS, Deutsche Bank, TFL...)

But you are not guaranteed any placement and you are bound to a 2 year contract, which would cost you £20k if you want to leave earlier. Also, you'd have to wait 90 days of not finding a placement before you can leave the company without having to pay the amount.

The risks are potentially wasting up to 7 months should I not find a placement with one of their clients. And my current full-time job (which isn't great but still something) would also be gone.

Should I take this risk?
Reply 1
Haven't searched the forum have you...?
Original post by llpokerll
I'm wondering if anyone knows much about FDM Group, the IT outsourcing company. I've been offered a job there last week, but have been delaying it with them to accept it for a number of reasons.

Basically at FDM you have 12-16 weeks of unpaid training followed by 2 years placements with one of their prestigious clients (HSBC, Virgin Media, UBS, Deutsche Bank, TFL...)

But you are not guaranteed any placement and you are bound to a 2 year contract, which would cost you £20k if you want to leave earlier. Also, you'd have to wait 90 days of not finding a placement before you can leave the company without having to pay the amount.

The risks are potentially wasting up to 7 months should I not find a placement with one of their clients. And my current full-time job (which isn't great but still something) would also be gone.

Should I take this risk?

Hi just out of curiousity, did you accept or reject the offer ? and why ?

I also have an assesment centre for the technical pathway, and their a few concerns related to their training which is also making me reconsidering my options if i get accepted.

Thanks
Reply 3
at FDM you have 12-16 weeks of unpaid training

Not that I have an especially strong view on unpaid training/work, but are you sure it's unpaid? How do they avoid their obligation to pay you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending