The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Best accommodation at Southampaton?

Hey guys,

What is the best accommodation at Southampton?
Say you are studying at Highfield Campus and want a ensuite room. How much would it roughly cost and what would be the ideal accommodation area (I know it varies from year-to-year but halls that are in high demand and where you can meet variety of people)?
BA History (1st Year) student here, currently living in Glen Eyre. If you're studying on Highfield, the Glen Eyre Complex is by far the closest Halls of Residence geographically, being only a 10-minute walk away. The site is fairly large (so lots of people to meet), and regular Uni-Link (U2B/U2C) bus links keep us connected to everything else in Southampton.

Since I'm in an Enhanced Room (no ensuite bathroom) I'm not sure about the price of Ensuite Rooms, but I'm sure either the Accommodation website or Residences Team will have the latest information on prices and availability.

It might also be worth looking at the Wessex Lane Complex also. It is slightly further from Highfield, but is a similar size to Glen Eyre and is slightly closer to Portswood (Clubs, Pubs and Shops).

Any more questions, let me know!
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Original post by thatdedmanfellow
BA History (1st Year) student here, currently living in Glen Eyre. If you're studying on Highfield, the Glen Eyre Complex is by far the closest Halls of Residence geographically, being only a 10-minute walk away. The site is fairly large (so lots of people to meet), and regular Uni-Link (U2B/U2C) bus links keep us connected to everything else in Southampton.

Since I'm in an Enhanced Room (no ensuite bathroom) I'm not sure about the price of Ensuite Rooms, but I'm sure either the Accommodation website or Residences Team will have the latest information on prices and availability.

It might also be worth looking at the Wessex Lane Complex also. It is slightly further from Highfield, but is a similar size to Glen Eyre and is slightly closer to Portswood (Clubs, Pubs and Shops).

Any more questions, let me know!

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Can you also comment about what the ethnic and gender ratios are roughly like in Southampaton? Do you think its generally a good mix or?? Please be honest as I'd like an insight into what kind of demographic the uni has, something which I am not able to find on the Soton website.

Thanks
Reply 3
Hi, could someone answer the question what the difference between the rooms standard and enhanced and then the difference between the ensuit and the premium ensuit.
Original post by penandpaper2014

Can you also comment about what the ethnic and gender ratios are roughly like in Southampaton? Do you think its generally a good mix or?? Please be honest as I'd like an insight into what kind of demographic the uni has, something which I am not able to find on the Soton website.

Thanks

In terms of ethnicity Southampton is the most diverse coastal town/city in the UK: http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/census/2011-census-analysis/coastal-communities/rpt-coastal-communities.html#tab-Ethnicity

gender ratios are about 55:45 F:M if I remember rightly. Which is about average for UK universities.
Original post by Harry.c.h
Hi, could someone answer the question what the difference between the rooms standard and enhanced and then the difference between the ensuit and the premium ensuit.

Information on the type of rooms available can be found here. I have only seen the Enhanced Rooms (AKA the ones in my block), and therefore can't comment on the others!
Reply 6

Thanks

I guess it's also worth noting that by default, you are put into mixed gender halls. You can request to be with one gender but I find this to be very rare. I'm in a mixed one and it's great! You're also with people from other degrees, we don't segregate people doing the same degree.
Reply 7
Hey guys,

What is the best accommodation at Southampton?
Say you are studying at Highfield Campus and want a ensuite room. How much would it roughly cost and what would be the ideal accommodation area (I know it varies from year-to-year but halls that are in high demand and where you can meet variety of people)?

Hi,

I'm a first year student at Wessex Lane (Montefiore). From my experience it doesn't really matter which halls you are at. Every student believes that their halls is the best and during Freshers there is normally chants in the clubs to see who has the greatest backing. However if you study at the Highfield Campus, wessex Lane and Glen Eyre are both very good. Glen Eyre is less than 10 minute walk from campus whereas Wessex Lane is about 20 minutes but big double decker buses run every 7/8 minutes to campus during the day. Mayflower is one of the new additions and is in the city centre, great for nights out in the centre however most student nights happen at Sobar or Jesters which is a bit further for Mayflower students. Traffic can also be an issue in the mornings and evenings on the bus.

Features of each of the big 3 accommodations:
Wessex Lane: Regular buses, Dense population creates a good community and atmosphere, Still walking distance from campus, fairly cheap especially for shared bathroom
Glen Eyre: Massive area with lots of grass, less densely packed making it quieter, lots of other students, walking distance to campus

Mayflower: close to the city centre and big supermarkets, regular buses to campus, not walking distance, expensive, very good if you have lectures at the Oceanography Centre as its about half way in between.

All the prices are on the website here: http://www.southampton.ac.uk/accommodation/halls/OurHalls.html

My advice is not to worry too much about where you end up as you'll love it regardless.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending