The Student Room Group

Sixth form or sixth form collge?

Any advise would be really nice thanks
Reply 1
Original post by LauraJ12
Any advise would be really nice thanks

Hey, I go to a sixth form college and it's honestly the best decision I've ever made. I have the freedomof college in the sense that I can leave whenever I don't have a lesson - yet I have the structure of a sixth form in terms of rules & they also make sure you do all your work. If your the type to prefer more structure then maybe sixth form will be best for you & if you are more independent then college will be best. And if you're in between...maybe sixth form college will be best.

hopefully that helped in some way, feel free to PM me at any time
Reply 2
I think I'm going to apply for both because applications have to be in by the end of November, I'm off to open day this and next week but still no idea
I think I'm going to apply for both because applications have to be in by the end of November, I'm off to open day this and next week but still no idea

Most sixth forms are attached to a school and sixth form colleges are good as you are not mixed with younger teens.
Reply 4
Sixth form I am looking at is building a separate sixth form block

Go to the open days for both and see which you like best.
Reply 6
I am doing but they are both very similar
Sixth form.

Colleges may be more independent, but it generally means that they aren't so fussed about you, especially when it comes to applying to university.

Loads of my friends were attracted by the option of a new environment at the various 6th form colleges in the area, they went and don't really like it that much. I stayed on at sixth form and it was the best decision, it's a lot different from school and because you're returning to a roughly similar environment it means you can focus on getting the work done rather than settling in.
Reply 8
Sixth form college has been class for me so far. Really loving it. I went to a grammar school before and I can't see much of a difference in teaching. Depends if you want to stay with your friends (assuming they're going to your sixth form).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I go to a sixth form college and I don't regret my decision at all, there is a lot more freedom and the teachers do still care about you even though you're only there for 2 years (at least they do at my college). In fact I'd even go so far as to say I've had better support from my college than I did from my old school. However, if you have trouble motivating yourself maybe a sixth form would be best.
I went to a sixth form college and I loved it. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest