The Student Room Group

Life Goals at 18?

I'm currently on a gap year hoping to apply for Economics. My grades are AAB with A2 FM predicted A. I wanted to do Medicine in the past but I've decided that Med isn't right for me.

Recently, my parents told me they're very worried about me as I don't even have a set goal in what I want to achieve in my life. While I told them that Economics is a good degree and can get me into some good internships and a future job, they just ridicule it as it's not "medicine or engineering".

Even a "family friend" told me that my parent's failed in guiding me to a good career like engineering or medicine. This sparked a massive row with myself against my parents which ended up in lots of shouting and expletives thrown at each other.

My mother then went on about how i'd end up in a "boring office job" since I don't have any goals.

Who's in the wrong here? I don't see it as a problem to not have a clarification in where I want to be in the future as I haven't experienced university yet. I truly feel that going to university will give me more independence and with the many opportunities in internships and university societies not to mention like minded people, I'm sure to find a career that I'll find satisfying and good.
Do what you want to do. It's better to be focused on what you enjoy doing than be forced into submission. I'd even say that being a dropout from uni makes you less employable than not going to uni in the first place.
I used to have a plan. :sad: Maths degree, Primary PGCE, NQT year, then move to Yorkshire asap and get a pretty cottage, get a dog and a couple of rabbits ... :moon:

Now I just wish I were dead. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending