The Student Room Group

Accounting & Finance 2015 Applicants and Offers

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by Kitty1996
I'm applying for Accounting and Finance. I got offers from Kent (ABB) and Reading (AAB).
I'm also applying for LSE (AAA), Surrey (AAA) and City (AAA).

I'd love to go to LSE, but I don't think I'll get it. It's very competitive!!

Hey congrats on your offers! Just wondering if you've heard from LSE?
Reply 201
Has anyone been to any applicant/taster days?
In particular Greenwich & Surrey.. what did you do (activities etc) and is it worth going?
Reply 202
Original post by mfsk
Has anyone been to any applicant/taster days?
In particular Greenwich & Surrey.. what did you do (activities etc) and is it worth going?

From my personal experience, I'd say they are worth going to. I didn't go to the applicant days of those specific uni's but I'm glad I went to my firm choice taster day because it gave me a better idea of what to expect. Generally, applicant days will involve a presentation, meeting students and lecturers and a tour of the university so it gives you a nice feel for the place you will potentially be spending the next 3 years of your life in.
Reply 203
Thanks! What university are you at? Also did you go alone or take someone with you?
Reply 204
Original post by fbrep2012
From my personal experience, I'd say they are worth going to. I didn't go to the applicant days of those specific uni's but I'm glad I went to my firm choice taster day because it gave me a better idea of what to expect. Generally, applicant days will involve a presentation, meeting students and lecturers and a tour of the university so it gives you a nice feel for the place you will potentially be spending the next 3 years of your life in.

Thanks! What university are you at? Also did you go alone or take someone with you?
Just firmed exeter and insured reading! :smile: Declined: durham, cardiff and my unconditional from lancaster (possibly a stupid mistake but oh well haha)
Original post by Kangie
Hiya, I was wondering how many lectures/contact time you have per week for A&F? Also, what's the hardest part of the course for you?

9 hours for us (Nottingham)

The course is usually split into the following 'streams':

Finance - IMO the most interesting but the hardest out of the streams, not great for cramming.

Economics - Shouldn't be a problem, especially if you did the A level.

Accounting - At first can be tricky to get your head around, but once you get used to it, it's OK. I used to find this part really boring but since I want to go into a finance career, which utilises a lot of accounting I'm finding it more interesting as it has useful practical application.

Statistics - Should be fine as long as you don't cram for it

Management - The essay-based modules (say organisatonal strategy) IMO is difficult to score really high marks 70+. Non essay-based modules I have found are easier. Management modules from my experience tend to be conceptually easier but harder to score marks.
Original post by Deane20
Ive got offers from university of manchester and university of southampton.. Both with same entry requirements. I would like to know which one is better i.e. More prestigious, better student life and so on. My insurance is university of kent. All accounting and finance (I live in London Btw)

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're from London and want a good city to spend 3 years in then I'd pick Manchester. Better city and more internationally renowned being the distinctive factors. It also has good links with employers in general (not saying that Southampton doesn't). Manchester is also one of if not the biggest universities in the UK so I'd imagine that the SU and general facilities are good there (again not saying that this doesn't apply to Southampton).
Original post by Alevel4
Wandering if anyone could help me out, ive applied to study accounting and finance at Uni of surrey & bham.
I just wanted to know which one people would firm and why as they are both good in my opinion & i'm struggling to pick one.
I know bham is a Russel group but i think they don't offer a placement year like surrey which people say is important for a degree like this .
so im really stuck
Any help would be great
Thanks

Whilst I think placement years are important, I do think that summer internships after your second year (and in some cases after your first) suffice.
Got offers from Manchester, Liverpool, Bath, Loughborough and Portsmouth and firmed Loughborough and insured Liverpool :smile:
Reply 210
Original post by mfsk

No problem. I got the train from London by myself. They are definitely worth going to!
I've had an unconditional offer from both Glasgow and Strathclyde. I prefer the Glasgow campus and area but I know that Strathclyde is the better uni for accounting. I was wondering if any could give me some advice on which I should pick. Thanks
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by rbbscottx
I've had an unconditional offer from both Glasgow and Strathclyde. I prefer the Glasgow campus and area but I know that Strathclyde is the better uni from accounting. I was wondering if any could give me some advice on which I should pick. Thanks

Both are good unis, choose based on where you'd feel most comfortable (thus more successful) at.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 213
Hi, offers from both Manchester and Edinburgh for Accounting & Finance, but it's really hard for me to decide.
Any advice or experience?

Thanks.
Original post by rcrc
Hi, offers from both Manchester and Edinburgh for Accounting & Finance, but it's really hard for me to decide.
Any advice or experience?

Thanks.

What were your a levels?

And I would choose Edinburgh because it's more exclusive in terms of offers, the university is really good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 215
Original post by grassntai
What were your a levels?

And I would choose Edinburgh because it's more exclusive in terms of offers, the university is really good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A* A* A.
But the conditions for Edinburgh is quite low, BBB. Are they more lenient towards internationals?
Are u a student there?
Anyone applied to UEA?
Original post by Toto123
Anyone applied to UEA?

I have.
Anyone here applied for A&F with Maths at Sheffield?
Reply 219
Original post by HardemanS
Anyone here applied for A&F with Maths at Sheffield?

I applied only for A&F

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending