The Student Room Group

Is there a decent amount of black people in queen Mary's, Loughborough or Sheffield

Scroll to see replies

It's a shame you feel there has to be a mix to feel comfortable though. I went to a uni where the majority were Asian or black. I didn't care or even notice tbh. People are just people regardless of race.
Original post by Gracella
Loooool idc who the uni let's in to their uni and I never said the uni had to have a mix I said it would be nice cos why wouldn't it. And as much as everyone loves to make out it shouldn't matter if your the only black person. It does a little bit. Not because I want to hang out with just black people because it doesn't matter to me. But because It's just apart of life not to want to be the only person of ur race somewhere. Got nothing to do with equality I'm not silly I know all people are equal. And you could say I shouldn't feel that way but I've been through it before and had some bad experiences so it would be nice if the uni I went to was diverse.

Be honest with yourself, that's my advice.

What you said again is that it does matter to you and you would like to be around more people of your own race, because you feel like you're an outcast when you're the minority somewhere. So you're contradicting yourself.
Reply 22
Original post by VanDarth
Wow why would you want to consider basing your uni choice with race. You should choose your uni based on how good the course that you want to study is taught and the general atmosphere of the Uni. Trust me nice people will come your way regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, sexuality etc.

I'm not basing my uni choice on that. Either way I'll be hopefully going to any of these unis as they are one of the only ones that I can go to. It don't hurt wanting to know tho. So even if I wanted it to(it doesn't -_-) it can't effect my choice.
I went to uni in Sheffield and it's an amazing party city. I applied for uni in loughborough back in the day and I really didn't like the uni or the city. Thank god I went to Sheffield!
I'm black for all intents and purposes.
Sheffield is very mixed indeed - probably more so than Queen Marys.
Sometimes it does matter to have a mixture of ethnicities around - just for simple reasons like, who the hell is going to do your hair. And that's just one.

I grew up in Hertfordshire and that issue alone was a pain in the arse. It's also nice not to feel like an "otherness". I know most people have the best of intentions but there is a marked difference in general attitudes to people of ethnic backgrounds where people have had less opportunity to mix with different people. People aren't all colourblind. It's an ideal, but it's not a reality.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by Olderandwiser23
It's a shame you feel there has to be a mix to feel comfortable though. I went to a uni where the majority were Asian or black. I didn't care or even notice tbh. People are just people regardless of race.

I would be moreee comfortable. And yeah it is a shame but not my fault past experiences have proven that for me so I do think about it cos believe it or not I'm not racist it has something to do with other peoples views. I'm only human and you can say it wouldn't effect you but I'm sure if you had previously experienced something it would. And I'm not saying there's racist people everywhere I just see less chance of people being small minded when there's a lot of diversity if you get where I'm coming from. And race doesn't stop me from being friends with people at all so it's not gunna have an affect on my uni choice I'm just querying
I would be moreee comfortable. And yeah it is a shame but not my fault past experiences have proven that for me so I do think about it cos believe it or not I'm not racist it has something to do with other peoples views. I'm only human and you can say it wouldn't effect you but I'm sure if you had previously experienced something it would. And I'm not saying there's racist people everywhere I just see less chance of people being small minded when there's a lot of diversity if you get where I'm coming from. And race doesn't stop me from being friends with people at all so it's not gunna have an affect on my uni choice I'm just querying

Sweetie I've experience some of the most hideous racism, I know what it's like unfortunately. Don't let it change you. I know you're not being racist. Choose a uni that gives you the best education. You'll have fun where ever you go. Promise.
Reply 26
Original post by Eveiebaby
I went to uni in Sheffield and it's an amazing party city. I applied for uni in loughborough back in the day and I really didn't like the uni or the city. Thank god I went to Sheffield!
I'm black for all intents and purposes.
Sheffield is very mixed indeed - probably more so than Queen Marys.
Sometimes it does matter to have a mixture of ethnicities around - just for simple reasons like, who the hell is going to do your hair. And that's just one.

I grew up in Hertfordshire and that issue alone was a pain in the arse. It's also nice not to feel like an "otherness". I know most people have the best of intentions but there is a marked difference in general attitudes to people of ethnic backgrounds where people have had less opportunity to mix with different people. People aren't all colourblind. It's an ideal, but it's not a reality.

Yesssss finally someone who gets what I'm sayingggg. Hair is a big issue and other things so u get me LOOOl. It shouldn't be this way but it is.
Exactly, growing up at a young age I obviously was racist at the age of 5 so it can have nothing to do with that but at the same time me being the only black child in my class did have some small disadvantages but this didn't stop me from being friends with anybody. This wasn't a big issue but I guess it can seem like that's all I cared about.
Reply 27
Sweetie I've experience some of the most hideous racism, I know what it's like unfortunately. Don't let it change you. I know you're not being racist. Choose a uni that gives you the best education. You'll have fun where ever you go. Promise.

Thanks, I will :smile:
True. But me asking of There is black people in the uni doesn't mean I intend to just hang out with only them. It's got nothing to do with that. There's a good mix at my college and it's comfortable. There was hardly any mix when I was in a different school and it wasn't always comfortable and that's a fact of life. And maybe i shouldn't of felt that way but I did and I know other people feel that way aswell.

I think the bottom line is that we can be all PC about it but, ultimately, nobody feels very comfortable if they're the only one of their race in any large group.

Are we all slightly racist by nature? Maybe.
Reply 29
Original post by McMicheal
Be honest with yourself, that's my advice.

What you said again is that it does matter to you and you would like to be around more people of your own race, because you feel like you're an outcast when you're the minority somewhere. So you're contradicting yourself.

What's wrong with wanting my own race around me? It's not like I said I didn't want other races around me aswell which if I did that would have been rude. If it was such a big deal for me would I be living in London. I don't think sooo. I've seen so many other people on here say they don't wanna be around there own race cos they don't get along with them and no one says anything to them. I'm not even saying the opposite. I'm saying I would like all. And I know it doesn't really work like that but it would be nice wouldn't it?? Or should I not say that ://
Original post by TurboCretin
I think the bottom line is that we can be all PC about it but, ultimately, nobody feels very comfortable if they're the only one of their race in any large group.

Not sure it's racism....it's being one of anything in a larger group of another.

Redheads, gender, any one in the LGBTQ community we all wanna be in a group that matches ourselves I guess. Perhaps it's a subconscious safety in numbers type thing?

Probably getting too deep now. Particularly for 23:20.

OP like I said go where ever is best for your education. Even if there were zero black people at these unis (which of course isn't the case) you'd still have an awesome time :smile: relax it'll be an amazing experience no matter what.
So many hurt feelings lol. Boohoo.

Yeah, there are a bunch of black students at those uni's you mentioned. Queen Mary's for sure as it's in London and I know many black students who go there. Same with Sheffield and Loughborough. Basically there's a large enough population of black students so you're not the only one/feel like one of a few. You won't even notice. It's uni. Everyone is there lol.
Reply 32
Original post by TurboCretin

Even without bringing racism into it. As it was pointed out before that even little things like finding someone to do ur weave looool which is most likely gunna be a black person or just cultural things like food I dunno anything. Not saying other cultures can't do things popular in certain cultures looool but isn't it more likely that it would be someone in my own race. Why can't I want someone to do my weave loooooll. Could even be someone wanting to speak their language to someone else which is most likely to be someone of their race. These things are normal. I know I can survive without these things or even teach my culture to someone else so it never had a affect on my choice on uni.
Reply 33
Not sure it's racism....it's being one of anything in a larger group of another.

Redheads, gender, any one in the LGBTQ community we all wanna be in a group that matches ourselves I guess. Perhaps it's a subconscious safety in numbers type thing?

Probably getting too deep now. Particularly for 23:20.

OP like I said go where ever is best for your education. Even if there were zero black people at these unis (which of course isn't the case) you'd still have an awesome time :smile: relax it'll be an amazing experience no matter what.

Thanks I'm sure I will have an amazing time :smile:
Reply 34
Original post by SophiaLDN

Yeah, there are a bunch of black students at those uni's you mentioned. Queen Mary's for sure as it's in London and I know many black students who go there. Same with Sheffield and Loughborough. Basically there's a large enough population of black students so you're not the only one/feel like one of a few. You won't even notice. It's uni. Everyone is there lol.

Mate if the question was answered I moved on so I dunno why other people didn't looool. Was never deep but hey ho. And true maybe I shouldn't think about past experiences cos it's gunna be completely different which is what I expect anyways :smile:
Original post by SophiaLDN

Err. Just to point out it's abbreviated as Queen Mary. I know it feels weird saying the proper abbreviated form, but the full name of the uni does not have an 's behind the word Queen Mary.
Fair enough that could be viewed as offensive to some people. But there was no hidden agenda behind my question. It not gunna change my view about anything I just would like to know. And I can see why you said this but there's a difference.

Well someone who made a similar thread who wasn't from an ethnic minority might not have a hidden agenda either. I wouldn't presume they would. They might just have similar feelings to you so I don't see how it is any different.
Reply 37
Original post by Revlonroulette
There is in Sheffield, I'm here now and I'm black!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm at Sheffield, 1st year. I have barely seen many black people.
What's wrong with wanting my own race around me? It's not like I said I didn't want other races around me aswell which if I did that would have been rude. If it was such a big deal for me would I be living in London. I don't think sooo. I've seen so many other people on here say they don't wanna be around there own race cos they don't get along with them and no one says anything to them. I'm not even saying the opposite. I'm saying I would like all. And I know it doesn't really work like that but it would be nice wouldn't it?? Or should I not say that ://

I don't think it's wrong. It's your view. Don't remember what I was saying before.

Well, theoretically a lot of things could be nice or could've been.

I think you don't need to explain yourself so much. I get what you're saying.

People tend to generalise and make stereotypes about races, nationalities, religions whatever. the reason it is bad, is because you don't know how someone is until you get to know them, so someone saying they don't like their own race is being slightly narrow minded. Each race has millions of people that are from different countries, therefore not all the same, assuming you don't like all of them or generally, because of unpleasant interactions you had with select few bunch of your locals is silly. It's like having a sip from a sea and assuming all water is salty.
Reply 39
Original post by TheWaffle
Well someone who made a similar thread who wasn't from an ethnic minority might not have a hidden agenda either. I wouldn't presume they would. They might just have similar feelings to you so I don't see how it is any different.

True. If an Asian person as part of the ethnic majority asked this question it could be viewed as rude but they could just love black people which is fine but they never said they didn't like other races just as much. The same as what I said so tbh it shouldn't matter who said it as long as it wasn't a racial dig which is not what I did.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending