The Student Room Group

would u go out with someone on benefits?

Scroll to see replies

Depends on their attitude and their reasons, and more importantly if their reasons sound like a wishy washy excuse to get benefits or if their reasons are genuine and temporary.

Basically they won't be on benefits for long and will have an interview or two lined up,or quite simply, no.
Original post by joker12345
Honestly? It's unlikely. If they'd had a good job and had just been made redundant (but had a good education and skills) and were only claiming for a short period, then maybe. I'd want to date someone I can consider an equal career wise so someone who's long term unemployed isn't going to meet that criteria.
P.s. OP I'd much rather date the 'ugly nerd at university' than more attractive person on benefits, because I value intelligence more than looks.

A good job? Criteria? you are so nice.

I have as much respect for someone who does the bin rounds as i do for a doctor. If their personality is right and they work hard.
Original post by Andy98
Are you saying that we (nerds) can be hot?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course! Nerdcore came in a few years back :tongue:
Original post by Andy98
I'm on disability benefits

Love you Andy:begone:

Even if you don't like me:frown:.
I would only object if they expected me to pay for everything while they stayed on benefits or stayed at home. Of course, we could come to an agreement where that happened (although not at my current wage) but it would be following a conversation.
Original post by minimarshmallow
I would only object if they expected me to pay for everything while they stayed on benefits or stayed at home. Of course, we could come to an agreement where that happened (although not at my current wage) but it would be following a conversation.

I think that sort of response depends on what paying for everything meant, I know people who have little money but their partners like to splash out then the one who splashes out says they are skint and says the one who was a little thrifty to give them money because they have plenty left over which is wrong(especially when some of these times the person who is the one saving what they can is the partner on benefits and the one working wastes their money!) In fact I remember hearing arguments in the past when someone demanded their partner give them some of their benefits because "their tax paid for it"

I also know people male and female who have done something like keep their home neat and tidy, cooked dinner as they have been on benefits but still been called lazy by partners for not working and taking their money, and to be fair women seem the worst for this, many seem to hate giving men money which I assume goes back to the old men were breadwinners days.

Back to the paying for things, I know people on benefits who are fine with the basics food wise and their working partner insists on better quality food and complain that they are paying for their non working partner when they did not want to eat or drink what they were told to make., same for things like trips when the unemployed one has no money so wants to sit at home watching a movie and other may want to go to cinema then when they argue they bring up the money thing.

Original post by Huskaris
Depends on their attitude and their reasons, and more importantly if their reasons sound like a wishy washy excuse to get benefits or if their reasons are genuine and temporary.

Basically they won't be on benefits for long and will have an interview or two lined up,or quite simply, no.

People on long term benefits are not automatically lazy by default, and jobs in certain areas of the UK are like gold dust to find its not a case of them just not wanting to work.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by drbluebox
I think that sort of response depends on what paying for everything meant, I know people who have little money but their partners like to splash out then the one who splashes out says they are skint and says the one who was a little thrifty to give them money because they have plenty left over which is wrong(especially when some of these times the person who is the one saving what they can is the partner on benefits and the one working wastes their money!) In fact I remember hearing arguments in the past when someone demanded their partner give them some of their benefits because "their tax paid for it"

I also know people male and female who have done something like keep their home neat and tidy, cooked dinner as they have been on benefits but still been called lazy by partners for not working and taking their money, and to be fair women seem the worst for this, many seem to hate giving men money which I assume goes back to the old men were breadwinners days.

Back to the paying for things, I know people on benefits who are fine with the basics food wise and their working partner insists on better quality food and complain that they are paying for their non working partner when they did not want to eat or drink what they were told to make., same for things like trips when the unemployed one has no money so wants to sit at home watching a movie and other may want to go to cinema then when they argue they bring up the money thing.

People on long term benefits are not automatically lazy by default, and jobs in certain areas of the UK are like gold dust to find its not a case of them just not wanting to work.

Meh, I don't necessarily buy those excuses, no problem for those that do want to make excuses, but I personally don't accept them.
To be honest, why invite such a **** situation into my life. If I meet him and really like him and then find out later he's on benefits, fine. I have dated chavvy boys before. But only white chavs and affluent men of colour. But I will not settle nor let him settle, I will be on his arse like dust on a carpet :closedeyes: However, if he's on benefits and under 30, I will be more tolerant. Over 30, no. Just no. I want a man of ambitions who can support me, complement my lifestyle and goals, an anchor, not some...ball and chain. :s-smilie:
Meh, I don't necessarily buy those excuses, no problem for those that do want to make excuses, but I personally don't accept them.

I never know when someone is trolling or just ignorant, but its true that some areas have work almost impossible to find, even commuting everyone has the same idea

My friend has a degree and cant even get work as a cleaner but that is because he lives in a small town of about 1500 people, and next to another town with the same population and nearest town which is small is about 45 miles away, compared to when I was at uni I found it easy to find work as there was a lot of call centres and factories about, but in my home town population is about 30 thousand, and the unemployed there, 3 thousand so 10% of the potential working population is unemployed, more if you consdier that many of that 30 thousand are elderly or children.
Yes.

I believe it's the man's job to provide and that the woman can work if she wants; if I were broke however, I wouldn't expect a woman's love.
I never know when someone is trolling or just ignorant, but its true that some areas have work almost impossible to find, even commuting everyone has the same idea

My friend has a degree and cant even get work as a cleaner but that is because he lives in a small town of about 1500 people, and next to another town with the same population and nearest town which is small is about 45 miles away, compared to when I was at uni I found it easy to find work as there was a lot of call centres and factories about, but in my home town population is about 30 thousand, and the unemployed there, 3 thousand so 10% of the potential working population is unemployed, more if you consdier that many of that 30 thousand are elderly or children.

I wouldn't go out with the bottom 10%, I have higher standards.

I'm a fairly regular present buyer anyway (bought my mum a foot spa on a whim yesterday) so that wouldn't be an issue, but I mean in terms of if they weren't attempting to get a job (a very small minority) because 'it's alright, the missus will get it'.
I wouldn't mind if they were between jobs and needed a bit of extra help, or if they were starting out and earning low and needed a hand there as well. I just don't like lazy expectations.

Not actually anything to do with being on benefits, but the chances are you wouldn't find many lazy and self-entitled people in high paying jobs.
It depends why.
I wouldn't go out with the bottom 10%, I have higher standards.

I'd rather have a humble nice person on benefits than someone who works with an attitude of high self worth though.
I'd rather have a humble nice person on benefits than someone who works with an attitude of high self worth though.

I wouldn't have either. There's enough people out there to be able to have some form of quality control. An arrogant working ********, or a lazy layabout are two types of people you don't have to go out with.
Original post by minimarshmallow
I'm a fairly regular present buyer anyway (bought my mum a foot spa on a whim yesterday) so that wouldn't be an issue, but I mean in terms of if they weren't attempting to get a job (a very small minority) because 'it's alright, the missus will get it'.
I wouldn't mind if they were between jobs and needed a bit of extra help, or if they were starting out and earning low and needed a hand there as well. I just don't like lazy expectations.

Not actually anything to do with being on benefits, but the chances are you wouldn't find many lazy and self-entitled people in high paying jobs.

I dont know, MPS are notorious for fiddling expenses, and I know people whom before the recession would get companies to pay for things like travel expenses so would go first class and last minute i.e could of booked in advance and paid like £40 but went first class last minute and paid like £300 as it gets refunded, and then get company to pay for everything out of a hotel fridge, getting as much drinks as they can at a free bar etc.

My dad does a huge amount of charity work(he actually runs a charity) and has actually gone to conventions and assumed to be rich as he runs one, then talked down to when he was on benefits(the big people talking about their sports cars, nights in top hotels etc) even to the point he has been asked to go for events or be the main talker somewhere and offered to be reirmbursed the expenses but called a liar when he cant afford it, they even say stuff like "well its only like 2 grand upfront"

We get lazy people in all fields of life as hard work is subjective, a doctor can do their job but not make the effort to diangose something right, not prescribe medication as they dont think its worth it but as they work long hours they are not lazy, just as someone working in a call centre for 8 hours a day may work just as hard as someone in a factory doing intensive physical work just in a different way.
Not everyone on benefits is a lazy layabout. I am on benefits myself and certainly am not lazy.
Reply 57
Original post by Frenspan14
Of course! Nerdcore came in a few years back :tongue:

Then why does everyone turn and run?
Some people on here are so stupid and ignorant, seriously.

I'd 100% rather go out with somebody on benefits than a snobby, narrow minded, ignorant person who believes everything they read in the daily mail.

Some of you on here need to realise that there is more to being intelligent than having a degree and A levels. Being so ignorant than you think everybody on benefits is a bad person or a failure is a sign that you are in fact not very intelligent and lack even the most basic analytical skills, there are thousands of reasons somebody could be on benefits, being lazy and wanting to just "live off your taxes" is just one, others are on benefits because they are studying, disabled, suffering from physical or mental illness or just been made redundant from their jobs. To assume all of these people are just scroungers makes you very stupid.
Original post by Andy98
Then why does everyone turn and run?

Really?! Come to Uni of Leeds! By OP's assumption that everyone who has been to uni is a nerd, there's hot nerds aplenty (girls AND guys)!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending