The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Is computer science good at queen mary?

hello i wanted to know is computer science good at queen mary
as few people i know dropped out after a year or two.
i study maths and ict level but i dont really know programming

so would they teach me from basics and is it hard? would i be able to cope with it
thanks
Yes but you also need to be willingly to put the effort in. The teaching assistants are very helpful if you find you're stuck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Queen mary isnt good for computer science they are only know for medicine and denistry, not worth doing CS at qmul they are also rank in the 50's for this subject.
Well if you don't get straight A's at A Level then a "poor" university course is all you can get into. Or apprenticeships
hello

do the universities know if it is the first time you are applying to study with them or not? i am thinking to apply to a uni which is not the first time I apply to.I have been applying for uni since two years ago but keep giving up at last minute.

Thank you
Original post by notforyou121
hello i wanted to know is computer science good at queen mary
as few people i know dropped out after a year or two.
i study maths and ict level but i dont really know programming

so would they teach me from basics and is it hard? would i be able to cope with it
thanks

Yes they do....however the jump between semester 1 and semester 2 in terms of progressing from basic java to Object orientated programming is huge, doesn't help with a lecturer who is terrible.
The administration side of the school which runs Computer Science is terrible, clashing timetables, unresponsive, etc and even the main body of QM know this.

Original post by dianamadeira
hello

do the universities know if it is the first time you are applying to study with them or not? i am thinking to apply to a uni which is not the first time I apply to.I have been applying for uni since two years ago but keep giving up at last minute.

Thank you

I would say Yes, but I doubt they'd care.
Original post by MrNoNames
Queen mary isnt good for computer science they are only know for medicine and denistry, not worth doing CS at qmul they are also rank in the 50's for this subject.

That's a bit of a generalisation. Law, Drama and Film Studies are in the top 10, English and History in the top 20 and Computer Studies in fact is 32 and 35 in the 2015 Guardian and Complete University guides: that is, if you believe in league tables:smile:
Original post by GrahamRodney
That's a bit of a generalisation. Law, Drama and Film Studies are in the top 10, English and History in the top 20 and Computer Studies in fact is 32 and 35 in the 2015 Guardian and Complete University guides: that is, if you believe in league tables:smile:

League tables nothing...............one of the most important modules in computer science, OOP at Queen Mary is taught by one of the worst lecturers you can and it affects people as its so important for the course. So many people failed it.
Original post by Iqbal007
League tables nothing...............one of the most important modules in computer science, OOP at Queen Mary is taught by one of the worst lecturers you can and it affects people as its so important for the course. So many people failed it.

As I said, if you believe in league tables. Just gently making the point that QMUL is known for things other than medicine and dentistry:wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending