The Student Room Group

Did you leave full lines between paragraphs on your personal statement?

Mine looks so messy on the 'preview' screen without them but my teacher says they don't matter.

Will the uni's see them as they are on the preview screen because it's not that clear where some paragraphs end and a new one begins.

its 1 character over the limit if I separate them btw
Reply 2
Original post by *Interrobang*

Thanks. Just what I was looking for

If we put in blank spaces then won't we use up the 47 lines very quickly?

If not then how do I put in the blank lines? Do I just go on word, type out my paragraphs (leaving a blank line when starting new paragraph) and when I copy and paste it in it the blank lines will show?
I've never seen or heard anyone say that it was okay not to leave lines, without them it's very hard to read

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Da Di Doo
If we put in blank spaces then won't we use up the 47 lines very quickly?

If not then how do I put in the blank lines? Do I just go on word, type out my paragraphs (leaving a blank line when starting new paragraph) and when I copy and paste it in it the blank lines will show?

To leave a blank line you need to press return twice at the end of a paragraph. It will use up your lines quicker but you should be able to fit in enough content in the space you've got - aim for 4-6 paragraphs so you use 3-5 lines. It's not about filling up the page
Reply 6
You're not supposed to put lines between paragraphs. Indentation only at the start of each paragraph, unless you're starting a distinct section, in which case a full line is fine but no indentation at the start of the new paragraph/section.
Original post by Viceroy
You're not supposed to put lines between paragraphs. Indentation only at the start of each paragraph, unless you're starting a distinct section, in which case a full line is fine but no indentation at the start of the new paragraph/section.

In essays etc that is 100% correct.

Ucas remove indents and any line spacing from PSs. In order to make paragraphs clear through ucas system them leaving blank lines is the only and best option.
Reply 8
Original post by PQ
In essays etc that is 100% correct.

Ucas remove indents and any line spacing from PSs. In order to make paragraphs clear through ucas system them leaving blank lines is the only and best option.

Gotcha. :smile:
To leave a blank line you need to press return twice at the end of a paragraph. It will use up your lines quicker but you should be able to fit in enough content in the space you've got - aim for 4-6 paragraphs so you use 3-5 lines. It's not about filling up the page

Do universities see exactly what we see in the preview? Will the paragraphs look like that?
Yes I did.

Yes it matters.
Original post by Da Di Doo
Do universities see exactly what we see in the preview? Will the paragraphs look like that?

The link below shows exactly how it appears to universities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending