The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Help me tell my teachers I'm depressed

So, basically I'm pretty certain I'm depressed and have been advised to tell my teachers but am terrified to do so. So it would be really helpful if people could please post me some moral support! Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
If you have a teacher you really like, that's probably the best option. Don't go to your form tutor, head of year etc. if you don't like them. Talk to the teacher after class or break time, whichever you prefer. Good luck.
You should tell your head of year/pastoral officer and they'll email your teachers!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by A future Midwife
You should tell your head of year/pastoral officer and they'll email your teachers!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I told my tutor (who I do like) and she advised me to tell them myself but said she could email them if I'd prefer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by 338o
If you have a teacher you really like, that's probably the best option. Don't go to your form tutor, head of year etc. if you don't like them. Talk to the teacher after class or break time, whichever you prefer. Good luck.

I did go to my tutor and she advised me to tell my other teachers. I told my psychology teacher earlier today and he was really nice about it and really helpful :smile: it's made me a lot less worried about telling the others

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hold on, why do you want to tell all your teachers that you're depressed? I thought you wanted advice/pastoral support from the school? I hope those you've told didn't just leave it at that and are actually supporting you.
Reply 6
Original post by SomeStudent
Hold on, why do you want to tell all your teachers that you're depressed? I thought you wanted advice/pastoral support from the school? I hope those you've told didn't just leave it at that and are actually supporting you.

I told my tutor first and she told me the protocol here is to inform your teachers.
The only one I've told so far other than my tutor has been great :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nangnang
I told my tutor first and she told me the protocol here is to inform your teachers.
The only one I've told so far other than my tutor has been great :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, understood. Will the school provide some sort of support?
Reply 8
Ah, understood. Will the school provide some sort of support?

They'll provide support in that they'll give me extensions on work and let me miss lessons if I need to. Other than that there's not much they can do...
Original post by Nangnang
They'll provide support in that they'll give me extensions on work and let me miss lessons if I need to. Other than that there's not much they can do...

Well that's good :smile: it'll affect your academics less then.
Reply 10
Well that's good :smile: it'll affect your academics less then.

Yeah, that's the important thing. I reallly wish I'd told people about it sooner as it did effect them last year.
How would I ask
My head of year is really nice but I’m scared he’ll call my parents and tell them about me cutting myself. My head master used to teach my stepdad too so that doesn’t help me at all
Remember that your teachers are all adults, so they will be completely aware of mental illnesses and how badly they can effect people.

Teachers always want to help, and if this is something that is effecting you academically then it's appropriate that you talk to them about it.

Hope all goes well.

A
Original post by Hayleighxrxse
My head of year is really nice but I’m scared he’ll call my parents and tell them about me cutting myself. My head master used to teach my stepdad too so that doesn’t help me at all

Hi there, sorry to hear you're struggling.

If you want to tell your head of year then you can always ask them not to tell your parents. They will have to tell somebody (teacher rules), but that is usually another teacher or the school counsellor so they may be happy to not tell your parents.

You have other options of people to talk to though and they have different rules on confidentiality.

You can ask to see your school counsellor. They will only pass on things you have said if they are very worried that you or somebody else are at serious risk.
You can ask them about confidentiality before you say anything.

You can talk to Childline online or by phone. They have their confidentiality promise on their website here:
https://www.childline.org.uk/about/confidentiality-promise/
They also have some great info and advice on their site like this section on getting help:
https://www.childline.org.uk/info-advice/you-your-body/getting-help/

You can talk to your GP. They have very strict rules on breaking confidentiality. They can only do it if they are very worried about you or somebody else and have to tell you first.
They can also refer you to support and give you good advice so I would really suggest seeing them.

It takes a lot to worry a counsellor or doctor so don't be afraid to get help.

I hope that helps. If you want some more info and advice on mh issues, hurting yourself etc you can check out childline, mind.org and sane.org and if you're ever struggling and need to talk to somebody you can contact samaritans or childline.

(This is an old thread so I'll be closing it just so people don't get confused and respond to OP. Please feel free to post your own thread here in the MH section though. You're more likely to get responses that way and can also tag me in if you want to keep talking to me. It's not because you've done anything wrong, just cos bumped threads tend to confuse people.)

Latest