The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
God knows, what do they do?
Reply 21
x.narb.x
God knows, what do they do?

Narb, you're posts on this thread are ****ing ignorant. You really think its only science graduates that get good jobs. How about jools for example, geography degree from oxford...

works for duetsche bank thats what he does.
Reply 22
Yes, so that means he satisfies two of the criteria that I set out, that is, a good grade, from a good University(the best in the country, infact). Geography is also a science degree, you get a BSc in Geography, do you not? So he actually satisfies all the criteria I put forward.

What I was trying to say was, if you're going to get a 2:2 in Media Studies from the University of Huddersfield, don't bother.

If you want the BEST chance of graduate recruitment, go to a top uni, do a hard/respected degree, and get top grades.
Reply 23
x.narb.x
4 hours a week of lectures spent doing arts degrees aren't difficult.

You haven't done one so you are in no place to decide what is difficult and what isn't. :smile:
Reply 24
No, I'll tell you what I have done though, and thats go to 30 hours a week of lectures/labs/seminars only to come home and do a further 10 hours of "homework" each week, only to see my mate who does history sit in his room playing mini-darts all week, do a couple of hours reading, and one essay a term.

Ask most history students at Uni if they feel they're getting value for money or are doing a "difficult" degree, most will tell you they're not, I'm not saying they're not talented - it requires a different kind of intelligence, but to say they've worked as hard as a science student during their degree would, in most cases, be a lie.
Reply 25
So just because they haven't done 30 hours a week like you means their degree is worth less? Most employers would beg to differ I think...
Reply 26
No, I think you'll find they won't. Ask most graduate employers(most of which only take students with science degrees anyway) whether they'd prefer somebody to have a science degree or an arts degree, all other things being equal, I'd say they'd prefer them to have science degrees.
Reply 27
x.narb.x
No, I think you'll find they won't. Ask most graduate employers(most of which only take students with science degrees anyway) whether they'd prefer somebody to have a science degree or an arts degree, all other things being equal, I'd say they'd prefer them to have science degrees.

Rubbish.
Reply 28
errm, what about a company like AWE, BAE, or oil drilling companies? What use would a history grad be to them?
Reply 29
I know of history grads working for Deloitte and PWC. Hardly crap firms.

History grads are more useful than you might think...
Reply 30
Yes, you don't need a specific degree to work for deloitte or PWC, infact you don't need a degree at all to work for them, which hardly goes to prove your point about history grads being highly sought after. I've given you examples of firms which only take science grads, which you rubbished in your previous post.

I didn't say history grads weren't useful, just that they're less useful than Science grads. Nothing you say is going to change my opinion on that, due to my experiences and what I've heard from the horses mouth, so lets just leave it at that?
Reply 31
You said 'most'. Which is what I rubbished.
Reply 32
Have a look at the top 100 graduate employers, see which of them SPECIFICALLY state what kind of graduates they employ, and then look at how many companies don't specify, but in reality, only recruit science grads. I'd say it would definitely be over 50%.
There are plenty of jobs that prefer arts and social science graduates, such as government/civil service/foreign service/clandestine service and journalism, for example. In finance, verbal skills and languages are highly desired for sales, and writing and analytical skills for M&A. Management consulting does not require or even prefer a science degree. The Big 4 don't care what you study. Arts and social science students also make up a large chunk (if not the majority) of those doing conversion courses and getting law contracts.
Reply 34
The-Lennon
to be honest narb........ science subjects are just repetitive learning...... well done you are learning how to be a drone. english and other arts subjects actually require independent thinking...... whereas all you have to do is repeat what you read in your textbooks.

creativity really is essential in business

I'd perhaps agree that Science degrees on the whole require less creativity, but what they lack on creativity they make up for in other areas, like intelligence:rolleyes:
Reply 35
No, thats where you're wrong, science subjects actually test your reasoning and intelligence, not your memory, unlike alot of arts degrees.
Reply 36
1. Arts vs Science degrees - undeniable that overall BSc grads do better than BA grads, but doesn't stop people with BAs getting great jobs - as usual university matters more than degree by a mile. Do a Music degree from Cambridge and you're more sorted than doing Maths at Sussex.

2. Do a bit of minimum wage work whilst studying and your debt will be no more than £10k (exceptions like Medicine).

3. Go to a good uni and do the required stuff outside your degree and earn more than £60k in your first year. £10k debt? Bargain. Don't do the extras required for a good job, it probably isn't worth it.
I think it depends on your interests, academic ability, national trends and where you attend. We live in an age where so many people have degrees that it has been devalued. However, because of this, in their search for talent the top employers really do put alot of stock in a degree from a top 10-20 uni.
Reply 38
x.narb.x
Yes, so that means he satisfies two of the criteria that I set out, that is, a good grade, from a good University(the best in the country, infact). Geography is also a science degree, you get a BSc in Geography, do you not? So he actually satisfies all the criteria I put forward.

What I was trying to say was, if you're going to get a 2:2 in Media Studies from the University of Huddersfield, don't bother.

If you want the BEST chance of graduate recruitment, go to a top uni, do a hard/respected degree, and get top grades.

I think you will find his is a BA. Just since you have said it is bsc for you're arguement dosent mean that all geography degrees are. Most are very human based making them more of Arts degree. When you head down the route of environmental science and geoscience/physics/geology, THEN its Bsc. Thanks for informing me of something else you know nothing about.

Yes the above degree you mentioned is ****, but to say 'what do arts people do' etc comments, sounds nothing like that. im sure you will agree.
The-Lennon
like a lot of students... some people enjoy themselves while they can

And it's impossible to enjoy yourself if you're not irresponsible? Perfectly possible to have a great time at uni whilst doing a bit of paid work and not being irresponsible with expenses.

Latest