The Student Room Group

Family members' degrees

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
First person to do a degree. Mother failed to complete O-levels (Sri-lankan.) Father failed to do A-levels but did GCSEs.
All thick as a brick.
Original post by Clip
Mum - non graduate
Grandfather - dentist
Dad - non graduate accountant
Stepfather - non graduate accountant
Aunt - non graduate accountant
Uncle - non graduate accountant
Brother - non graduate
Sisters - all non graduates

And what about you? do you intend to achieve a degree? it seems nothing specials for your family.
The only people on my family with anything beyond A levels (my dad got 2 Ds, mum dropped out, don't know how my aunts/uncles did) are:

1 cousin studied psychology, and then did some sort of clinical psychology practice degree

Another cousin is in medical school

I'm applying for biological sciences - microbiology.

None of the rest of my family have ever had the need to go to university, falling into appropriate jobs/careers.
Nobody in my family went to uni before me, I have a degree in psychology now, and my brother started a degree course last month.
My mum studied Geography, dad studied Economics (but dropped out). Older sister studied Fine Art, older brother studied Publishing then did a PGCE, I'm studying Linguistics, my twin brother's applying for Anglo Saxon, Norse and Celtic, and my little sister will most likely study Music. 2 Grandparents studied History/History of Art type stuff, other 2 didn't go to university. We're not a particularly sciencey family but all quite unique in our interests :smile:
Neither my grandparents or my parents went to uni. One of my auties did business at uni and is now a teacher, the other did law. My cousin is doing music at uni. I'm only in year 11 but I'd love to do engineering at uni so something completely different . :smile:
Reply 46
Original post by Kallisto
And I thought that I will be the only one in this thread who has no academics parents. Perhaps I will be the only one who goes not to university.

I was the first to go to uni as well. I thought my sister would end up going, but it's not looking like she'll go. I don't expect to have kids either, so I guess I will be the only one (until nieces/nephews start arriving - if they even go to uni themselves).

I did three years of a languages degree and will shortly be starting a medical degree. :biggrin:
Reply 47
And what about you? do you intend to achieve a degree? it seems nothing specials for your family.

I'm on my third one.
My (late) father taught English as a foreign language before lapsing into a state of perpetual unemployment; my mother until she met my father was an aspiring graphic designer.

So, with respect to my parental predicament, it seems that Larkin's maxim rang only half-true.
My mum started on political science but switched to tourism and languages and my dad is an accountant. Both sides of the family mostly had lawyers and judges. My half sister is studying architecture. I wanted to be a lawyer too then completely changed my mind after doing AS law. I now have a media degree and starting a masters in history.

My husband is a software engineer and the first one in his immediate family to go to uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Uncle - nursing

Me - network computing

Sister - English (She's younger than me)

Have some cousins doing accounting/law etc...
Reply 51
None of my immediate family went, but my Uncle did History, and so did my cousin, other cousins did International Relations/Politics or languages and I did English Lit. So more Humanities based really.
My parents haven't been to university. I think in total, 2 people have gone to uni in my family. Both cousins of mine. And I think both are now teachers. Teaching isn't a route for me though :h: I plan on studying zoology (hopefully gain a Masters) then going into research. Definitely a first for my family haha.

I think in this current generation of my whole family, I'm the only one aspiring to go to university, so they all want me to do well and support me. :smile:
Original post by Ronove
I was the first to go to uni as well. I thought my sister would end up going, but it's not looking like she'll go. I don't expect to have kids either, so I guess I will be the only one (until nieces/nephews start arriving - if they even go to uni themselves).

I did three years of a languages degree and will shortly be starting a medical degree. :biggrin:

Erm, that is very interesting what you said about you and your family. But I did not go to university at all (so far). So I wonder why did you quote me. :hmmmm2:

Original post by Clip
I'm on my third one.

Your third degree? that is very impressive. Which ones did you have achieve yet? which would be your third one, if I may ask?
Reply 54

Your third degree? that is very impressive. Which ones did you have achieve yet? which would be your third one, if I may ask?

Law and Economics before.
Reply 55
Original post by Clip
I'm on my third one.

Let me guess: Business, Accounting, and Economics. :cool:
Reply 56
Grandparents don't have degrees. Parents both have law degrees, only my dad is practicing though.
Aunties/uncles a mix of Law and Philosophy.
So basically every single person has either done law or humanities...

...me: chemistry :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
Original post by llys
Let me guess: Business, Accounting, and Economics. :cool:

Yes!

Actually, no.
Reply 58
Original post by Clip
Yes!

Actually, no.

Oh right, of course, That was stupid. It's obviously Accounting, Accounting and Accounting. :cool:
Reply 59
Original post by llys
Oh right, of course, That was stupid. It's obviously Accounting, Accounting and Accounting. :cool:

I don't get it. You'll have to explain it to me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending