The Student Room Group

Family members' degrees

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Clip
I don't get it. You'll have to explain it to me.

I never explain jokes, especially bad jokes. :colonhash:
My Dad was the first of his to go to Uni (engineering) whereas my mother's Father and Uncles are all insanely clever and went to UCL, Imperial and Oxbridge and are either Drs or Professors. Her brothers are engineers or teachers, her sister is a bilingual accountant, she's a teacher with a Psychology degree.
My brothers study Geology and I have applied for Medicine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mum did a BA in Business Studies.
I'm doing an LLB in Law

Doesn't seem the rest of the family so far liked uni... but the brothers when they grow up might!!
None of my immediate family have gone to university. (I don't think their parents, their parent's parents, etc went either).

Some of my cousins have gone though. I think they studied health-related degrees like midwifery?
My family consists mostly of professionals: engineers, architects, surveyors etc. I'll be starting a job at a law firm next year.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 65
Original post by Kallisto
Erm, that is very interesting what you said about you and your family. But I did not go to university at all (so far). So I wonder why did you quote me. :hmmmm2:

Because it was you that seemed so surprised that anyone on TSR might come from a family that lacked the will or the means to pursue higher education. :tongue:
Neither completed a uni degree, now I'm applying to Cambridge - guess they spurred me on to do what they wish they had done (uni)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Family from mum's side:

Gran no university education

Gran's 1st sister - English degree no kids

Gran's 2nd sister - Maths degree son went to Cambridge to study architecture (1st family member at Cambridge)

Gran's brother - Law from Oxford (Exeter college) - all 5 of his children are Medics in the US

Grandad no university education

1st aunt no university

2nd aunt no university

uncle no university

mother no university

cousin university degree (Computer science) middlesex

cousin university degree (Computer science) middlesex

cousin university degree (Economics) hertfordshire

cousin university degree (Computer science) Southampton

Family from father's side:
No information on gran and grandad

1st uncle university degree - university of London (Ghana)

2nd uncle university degree - university of London (Ghana)

3rd uncle university degree - university of London (Ghana)

4th uncle university degree Oxford - Christ church - PPE

Dad university degree - university of London (Ghana) studied Statistics and Economics

Aunt no university education

1st cousin Economics at Cambridge (extended family)

2nd cousin Economics at UCL (extended family)

3rd cousin Law at Cambridge (extended family)

No more information on cousins too distant to know or because nothing impressive to warrant any knowing.

My core family

big bro - no degree skipped to do ACCA

big sis - 1st degree Mathematics Uni of Ghana, Masters Applied Physics Uni of Michigan, PHD at university of texas MD anderson cancer center

As many members have listed many family members, I'm trying to list the jobs of the rest:

Uncle (husband of my mother's sister) - tiler, foreman
Cousin - degree in dentistry
Grandmother (on my mother's side) - housekeeper
Grandfather (on my father's side) - merchant in a boutique
Brother - he was studying to become an elementary teacher until his death

I don't know most of my family, but as far as I know there are some architects, an engineer, and an actress. But to be honest I don't care what they are, as I dislike the great part of my family.
Reply 69
Nobody in my family went to University until me and my brother. I did English Lit, but nobody in my family has a history of enjoying literature.
I am the only person from family who went to study and got a degree in Business Studies:h: At the time when my parents and sisters were growing up, studying for a degree was a luxury and my family couldn't afford it. My nephew might go to University one day.
(edited 9 years ago)
My mum did environmental science (she's now a French teacher!!!1!) but she always says it was a chemistry degree pfft. I want to do psychology and I'll be the first on my dads side to go to uni. I'm slightly scared I won't pass my a levels though :-(

Posted from TSR Mobile
One was expelled from school and the other had no formal qualifications.

I do have a cousin who is a professor as KCL but broadly am the only person in my immediate family to have gone to university - not that I bothered to finish.
My mum never went to university though my dad graduated as a chemist, my sister studied physics, maths and astronomy at university she however failed one of her exams twice in final year :/ I am currently studying biomedical sciences. I don't know of any other family members who went to university.
Dad did a part-time business degree in his mid-20s. Sister did biology. No others.
Reply 75
No one in my immediate family has a degree, but I think my dad has a HND or something. Some cousins on my dad's side with degrees but no-one else.
Mum: Computing and databases
Dad: Mathematics and computer science
Paternal grandfather: Law
Paternal great granfather: Law
Maternal grandfather: Biomedicine

I don't have a very big family so that's all I know of.
Mum: PPE
Dad: History
Older brother: Music, before dropping out to be in a band. Hopefully that works out!
Me: Natural Sciences (chemistry and biology)

So quite a mix! I think the only other person in my family to go to uni is my auntie, who studied dentistry. If you go back much further you just get to sheep farmers, really :colondollar:
Reply 78
I'm the only person in the family to have gone to university. Both my parents are self made entrepreneurs who've now retired. Neither of them went to university.
Mum: nursing
Dad: electronic and electrical engineering
Brother: Computer Science

Me: Politics & Sociology

Quick Reply

Latest