The Student Room Group

To what extent can a exceptional personal statement make up for bad grades?

I'm not sure what the policy, or approach to this is and would be interested in finding out more. I'm especially interested for top tier universities. When I say bad grades, I mean a few. Like if for example if you had relatively average GCSEs compared to the normal successful applicant.

If an applicant had a fantastic personal statement, original and distinct from other people applying to the same course. Would the university be more willing to make an interview or offer? Admissions tutors reading PSs seem so ambiguous as to what weighting they place on it - especially for Oxford.

I'd be grateful if someone could clarify (not just for the sake of it)
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

How bad are the grades?

I don't think a PS can off set bad grades tbh. They're not even they important for most courses and places.

Which course ?
Original post by 105263
I'm not sure what the policy, or approach to this is and would be interested in finding out more. I'm especially interested for top tier universities. When I say bad grades, I mean a few. Like if for example if you had relatively average GCSEs compared to the normal successful applicant.

If an applicant had a fantastic personal statement, original and distinct from other people applying to the same course. Would the university be more willing to make an interview or offer? Admissions tutors reading PSs seem so ambiguous as to what weighting they place on it - especially for Oxford.

I'd be grateful if someone could clarify (not just for the sake of it)

What you have to remember is that you're competing with people with straight A*/A grades, who also have good personal statements - so it will have to be something really really really special in order to stand a chance. If your AS grades are good, then there's no need to worry too much about GCSE unless it's oxbridge that you're applying to.
Original post by snikutsmullac
What you have to remember is that you're competing with people with straight A*/A grades, who also have good personal statements - so it will have to be something really really really special in order to stand a chance. If your AS grades are good, then there's no need to worry too much about GCSE unless it's oxbridge that you're applying to.

Even then GCSEs aren't too important with great AS!
Original post by L'Evil Fish

Definitely not, but I'd imagine oxbridge might use them as a differentiator bearing in mind that almost every applicant will be excellent

Then again I might be wrong
Definitely not, but I'd imagine oxbridge might use them as a differentiator bearing in mind that almost every applicant will be excellent

Then again I might be wrong

Well, we'd have to differentiate between Oxford and Cambridge, with GCSEs playing a bigger part in the former. But it all depends on courses tbh.

You can get 0 A*s and get into both.
Well, we'd have to differentiate between Oxford and Cambridge, with GCSEs playing a bigger part in the former. But it all depends on courses tbh.

You can get 0 A*s and get into both.

Bet it's rare though
Reply 7

I'm applying for Law (Very competitive)
I achieved AAAA at AS with A*A*A*AA predictions (A in EPQ additionally). This will come off as narcissistic but I believe my personal statement to be quite exceptional, compared to PS I've seen of successful applicants.
My GCSEs are mediocre and most probably the only obstacle that could potentially harm my chances of an interview. Surely the personal statement is important, how else would you be able to differentiate between candidates? If it wasn't important surely they would use a grade filter.

I've also got the LNAT next week, so there's that. But back to the point, I think it is important in understanding how Univs such as Oxford/Oxbridge will use this information, especially if there are advantages to be gained.

Also I got 10 A-C at GCSE (I'm applying with MC)
Original post by 105263
I achieved AAAA at AS with A*A*A*AA predictions (A in EPQ additionally). This will come off as narcissistic but I believe my personal statement to be quite exceptional, compared to PS I've seen of successful applicants.
My GCSEs are mediocre and most probably the only obstacle that could potentially harm my chances of an interview. Surely the personal statement is important, how else would you be able to differentiate between candidates? If it wasn't important surely they would use a grade filter.

I've also got the LNAT next week, so there's that. But back to the point, I think it is important in understanding how Univs such as Oxford/Oxbridge will use this information, especially if there are advantages to be gained.

Sounds good, L'evil fish is probably the person to ask rather than me, as I'm not applying to Oxbridge. I'm just guessing here.
Original post by 105263

I think you mean Oxford/Cambridge ie Oxbridge :tongue:

Well if you have mitigating and extenuating circumstances that explain your GCSEs you have a good chance provided your LNAT goes well.

Law is one of the subjects where the PS is weighted more heavily but only a tad. If yours is excellent it'll put you in good stead with your AS and A2 predictions.

Were your English Language/maths grades B or higher by any chance? That might help.

Which ASs did you study? I'd say go for it in all honesty.

Deadline is tomorrow though!
Reply 10

Well if you have mitigating and extenuating circumstances that explain your GCSEs you have a good chance provided your LNAT goes well.

Law is one of the subjects where the PS is weighted more heavily but only a tad. If yours is excellent it'll put you in good stead with your AS and A2 predictions.

Were your English Language/maths grades B or higher by any chance? That might help.

English Lit/Lang A A
Maths B and C

I've sent my application of to Oxford.

I studied Economics, History, Geography and English Literature.
Reply 11

I also go to a Comprehensive in London if that counts for anything. Maybe I'll get some sympathy =p
Original post by 105263
English Lit/Lang A A
Maths B and C

I've sent my application of to Oxford.

I studied Economics, History, Geography and English Literature.

Original post by 105263
I also go to a Comprehensive in London if that counts for anything. Maybe I'll get some sympathy =p

I think you have a crack at it, especially with the EC, and comprehensive might raise some contextual flags!

Best of luck with your application :smile:
Reply 13
I think you have a crack at it, especially with the EC, and comprehensive might raise some contextual flags!

Best of luck with your application :smile:

Cheers mate you too.
Original post by 105263

Depends on the DoS, some quite like it, others pretty much totally ignore it.

I'm gonna guess mine wasn't read given one of the the first qs was whether I had any favourite areas if law, given I'd talked about one all the way through the PS.

This was reinforced when my mate got asked early on if he 'liked any sports'. His PS had been (ill advisedly) all about his international sporting experience...
Reply 15
Original post by Le Nombre
Depends on the DoS, some quite like it, others pretty much totally ignore it.

I'm gonna guess mine wasn't read given one of the the first qs was whether I had any favourite areas if law, given I'd talked about one all the way through the PS.

This was reinforced when my mate got asked early on if he 'liked any sports'. His PS had been (ill advisedly) all about his international sporting experience...

Really. Did you manage to get an offer/ where did/are you study?
Also what is the DoS sorry.
Original post by 105263
Really. Did you manage to get an offer/ where did/are you study?
Also what is the DoS sorry.

Yeah, I went to Oxbridge, I don't day to be on the safe side for anonymity with my job.

DoS=Director of Studies, the academic in charge of a subject for a particular college.
Reply 17
To what extent can a PS offset bad academic grades - it can't. Grades are much better indicators of academic ability and even 'passion' for a subject than a couple of paragraphs, which don't necessarily have to be written by the applicant. Not to mention that people get varying degrees of support with their personal statement, and Oxford (and I would imagine Cambridge as well) are more than aware that the people who tend to get a lot of support are those from top schools - so giving any decent weight to 'exceptional' personal statements is just a very good way of giving a leg up to private school applicants.
Reply 18
Original post by Le Nombre
Yeah, I went to Oxbridge, I don't day to be on the safe side for anonymity with my job.

DoS=Director of Studies, the academic in charge of a subject for a particular college.

Ah fair enough.
Based on your experience is my profile strong enough to be considered for an interview? I understand there are factors to consider, but generally?
Original post by 105263
Ah fair enough.
Based on your experience is my profile strong enough to be considered for an interview? I understand there are factors to consider, but generally?

Yeah, provided you don't horribly tank LNAT/CLT.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending