The Student Room Group

Online Academy, qualifications recognised?

Good morning,

I've found on groupON a voucher to do a Teaching Assistant course up to level 3 on a site called Online Academy and I'm worried about doing the course and the certificate not being recognised, has anyone used this site before or this method?

I'm based in Cardiff, Wales, UK am 23, work full time and would like to widen my skills with teaching.

Any help would be wonderful!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Online courses are generally very good for widening your knowledge or to get knowledge on a field which is totally different from yours. The knowledge gained from such methods definitely have its value. It might be useful to improve your current work (if it is related to your current work field) or to have a thought for a career change. Regarding the recognization of the certificates, it depends on who is providing the course and whether it is having any collaboration with any universities etc.,
Reply 2
For example, I did an online course which is an introductory course on Space Sector provided by SpaceVarsity on the Udemy website. Basically, I'm very much interested in space related courses because I feel its really amazing....knowing about space, planets, universe, rocket launch, satellites, etc.,...very, very interesting!!!....but I'm into paramedical field and I am totally new to Space related field.

Fortunately, I found such a Space course for absolute beginners. The chief instructor of this course is a doctor and an alumnus of International Space University, which I verified with his LinkedIn profile too. So I could peacefully rely on it and take up the course.

Even after taking the course, I didnt regret at all because I could get a lot of information and gain good knowledge about what is beyond our earth!!!

And moreover, I got this course at a "NEVER BEFORE" discounted price from the following link!!! Its actually a $19 course, but I could get it for just $2.

https://www.udemy.com/the-what-how-why-of-space/?couponCode=WOWSPACE1FA2

Its a very interesting course and I'm waiting for its next level course on space studies provided by the same SpaceVarsity on Udemy!!!

If you would like to try this course, then it would be better if you join the course for this $2 price within 4 to 5 days, as it is only a 7-day offer it seems!

Thats why I'm trying to forward this link to most of my friends!!!
Reply 3
Did you ever find out if this is recognised I am also interested in doing the same and have just enrolled on the Child Behavioural Diploma
Hello. I'm doing my online Academies Child Behavioral Course right now. On my 7th part. My friend said to me today about getting a students discount card from N.U.S. But the Online Academies course is not recognized by them, which is now leading me to be concerned that this course is fake! Unsure what to do? I have emailed the company asking why i haven't got a student ID number for this to be down today. So when I get a response i'll let you know.
Original post by Scallywag7
Hello. I'm doing my online Academies Child Behavioral Course right now. On my 7th part. My friend said to me today about getting a students discount card from N.U.S. But the Online Academies course is not recognized by them, which is now leading me to be concerned that this course is fake! Unsure what to do? I have emailed the company asking why i haven't got a student ID number for this to be down today. So when I get a response i'll let you know.

Quick search returned this: "1. Important note regarding the merit of Online Academies courses received by email from the NCFE National Awarding Organisation [3]:
This learning provider is part of Stonebridge Associated Colleges (Stonebridge) who have been accredited with NCFE’s Investing in Quality (IIQ) Licence which is designed to give formal recognition to an organisation’s bespoke programmes that fall outside the Qualification and Credit Framework (QCF). The licence is based on a number of Quality Statements which provide a quality assurance framework for the development, delivery and evaluation of their programmes. We’ve mapped the Quality Statements to a range of standards: ISO 9001, Investors in People, EFQM, The Common Inspection Framework, The Matrix Standard; and Recognising and Recording Progression and Achievement (RARPA).
In summary, NCFE hasn’t accredited the Stonebridge Diploma on Child Behaviour as a ‘qualification’ but through their IIQ Licence we do give formal recognition to their training/courses which result in the ‘award’ of a certificate of achievement.
There’s a wide variety of training providers offering bespoke courses that are accredited under the NCFE IIQ Licence and for all manner of training; be it to meet a particular requirement or because there’s no provision listed on the The Register of Regulated Qualifications - [4]’.
The training providers who use the IIQ Licence for this purpose include; Beacon Award winning colleges, local authorities, charities and the emergency services; who are all able to recognise the valuable bespoke training undertaken by their people. You can see who is currently using our IIQ Licence here - [5].
NCFE does offer a wide range of qualifications which are nationally recognised by the Office of the Qualifications and Examinations Regulator (Ofqual [6]) but the aforementioned course is not one of them. "

I'd be questioning a course that is so cheap and offers discounts as I haven't, as of yet, seen many accredited actual qualifications that haven't got the usual fee structures. And I would think these are just money making courses or more for hobby/interest/tasters and not for serious use I'm afraid. And on the GOV UK site I can't find anything listing them as accredited.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
You receive a certificate of achievement - this isn't a nationally recognised qualification - you will not find the qualification on the Ofqual register. Those types of courses will not make you 'qualified' to work in a certain role.

They are mainly useful for people who want to learn something new without committing to a more substantial programme of study - and those types of courses are good for that because they're generally designed to be studied at home, in your own time, without deadlines.

If you're wanting a regulated qualification, you need to look for those which say QCF or NVQ in the title (or that are Alevels or GCSEs depending on what you are looking for).

Don't assume that because a provider has put 'diploma' in the title, that it is a qualification.

If the description says you'll receive a 'certificate of achievement' or an 'award certificate of achievement', it's not going to be a qualification.

If you're unsure, ask the provider for the qualification number and then search for it here: register.ofqual.gov.uk

Edit 09/17: It's worth noting now that QCF qualifications are currently being updated, so they'll now say RQF at the end instead (not QCF). They're still regulated qualifications, still appear on the Ofqual Register etc. The main difference you will notice in the qualification specifications is the inclusion of TQT (Total Qualification Time).
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Pixsoul
You receive a certificate of achievement - this isn't a nationally recognised qualification - you will not find the qualification on the Ofqual register. Those types of courses will not make you 'qualified' to work in a certain role.

They are mainly useful for people who want to learn something new without committing to a more substantial programme of study - and those types of courses are good for that because they're generally designed to be studied at home, in your own time, without deadlines.

If you're wanting a regulated qualification, you need to look for those which say QCF or NVQ in the title (or that are Alevels or GCSEs depending on what you are looking for).

Don't assume that because a provider has put 'diploma' in the title, that it is a qualification.

If the description says you'll receive a 'certificate of achievement' or an 'award certificate of achievement', it's not going to be a qualification.

If you're unsure, ask the provider for the qualification number and then search for it here: register.ofqual.gov.uk

^^this,

(want to rep comment but it's gone off the screen?)
I am doing an OnlineAcademies course. Once you pass you have the option to pay extra to get an Ofqual accredited qualification by doing some further work on the subject answering in your own words rather than multiple choice questions.
If you stick with the OnlineAcademies certificate (which I have) it displays you have studied and gained the knowledge on this subject, but is definitely beneficial for widening knowledge in any area of interest
Reply 10
I am a teacher and have just completed a Dyslexia Therapist course through The International Open Academy. I had 10 modules to study with an exam at the end of each module - the course was great and has thoroughly provided me with extensive information. As the person above states, I too have paid the additional fee of £20 to pay for the accredited qualification. I doubt that I am "qualified" in dyslexia, but the course was excellent and I am getting job offers in this area.
Reply 11
Hello I am looking to do an online course with online academies I was wondering are there any deadlines or can you just do it as you feel like it?
Reply 12
Original post by Sofia Baz
For example, I did an online course which is an introductory course on Space Sector provided by SpaceVarsity on the Udemy website. Basically, I'm very much interested in space related courses because I feel its really amazing....knowing about space, planets, universe, rocket launch, satellites, etc.,...very, very interesting!!!....but I'm into paramedical field and I am totally new to Space related field.

Fortunately, I found such a Space course for absolute beginners. The chief instructor of this course is a doctor and an alumnus of International Space University, which I verified with his LinkedIn profile too. So I could peacefully rely on it and take up the course.

Even after taking the course, I didnt regret at all because I could get a lot of information and gain good knowledge about what is beyond our earth!!!

And moreover, I got this course at a "NEVER BEFORE" discounted price from the following link!!! Its actually a $19 course, but I could get it for just $2.

https://www.udemy.com/the-what-how-why-of-space/?couponCode=WOWSPACE1FA2

Its a very interesting course and I'm waiting for its next level course on space studies provided by the same SpaceVarsity on Udemy!!!

If you would like to try this course, then it would be better if you join the course for this $2 price within 4 to 5 days, as it is only a 7-day offer it seems!

Thats why I'm trying to forward this link to most of my friends!!!

Hello I am looking to do an online course with online academies I was wondering are there any deadlines or can you just do it as you feel like it?

:biggrin:
On the Online Academies website, in the FAQs, you can read:

"7. How Long do I have to complete the course?

There are no time limits at all, you can take as long as you like to complete the course.".

Hope it answers your question!
Basically, specifically regarding the Online Academies diplomas, it depends if you choose the "certified" course - cheaper but you only get their diploma which is not a recognised one-, or the "endorsed" course - £50 more expensive and still not Ofqual certified, according to what it says on the description, but gives you more recognition if you want to go further into the subject and qualification process, for what I understood.
I personally went for the "certified" because of the Groupon voucher, and because I've been working as a language TA and after-school language teacher for several years without any particular certification but my deep knowledge on the subject I was teaching. So the diploma is more to see what I've missed out, help improve, get a little bit of personal pride, and get a paper saying I'm not totally ignorant on the basics. The other advantage in the "certified" version is that you already have done something and they propose you to do a bit of extra to get the endorsed certicificate. When you get the diploma they offer you to do it at a discounted price (offer valid for 48 hours only) but you can still take it later by paying full extra (Discounted is about £55, full is about £75) whenever you want.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by lovingwood
Basically, specifically regarding the Online Academies diplomas, it depends if you choose the "certified" course - cheaper but you only get their diploma which is not a recognised one-, or the "endorsed" course - £50 more expensive and still not Ofqual certified, according to what it says on the description, but gives you more recognition if you want to go further into the subject and qualification process, for what I understood.
I personally went for the "certified" because of the Groupon voucher, and because I've been working as a language TA and after-school language teacher for several years without any particular certification but my deep knowledge on the subject I was teaching. So the diploma is more to see what I've missed out, help improve, get a little bit of personal pride, and get a paper saying I'm not totally ignorant on the basics. The other advantage in the "certified" version is that you already have done something and they propose you to do a bit of extra to get the endorsed certicificate. When you get the diploma they offer you to do it at a discounted price (offer valid for 48 hours only) but you can still take it later by paying full extra (Discounted is about £55, full is about £75) whenever you want.
Thankyou so much for that! I am basically looking to train to be a veterinary nurse in over a years time and just wanted something to put on my cv and to begin my knowledge of veterinary nursing. Do you think this will look good? Just to show I actually did something this summer. :smile:
I think it will definitely show you're interested in the subject, and that you decided to go for this training course knowing what to expect it to be (like the fact it's not only the good stuff but also the gruesome and sad/hard parts of the job, and you're aware of it). I always thought that extra work experience or training on the side has never had a negative impact on a CV, as it shows you take initiative, make decisions and are willing to give time and money on what you're interested on.
Original post by Soulfullystar
Good morning,

I've found on groupON a voucher to do a Teaching Assistant course up to level 3 on a site called Online Academy and I'm worried about doing the course and the certificate not being recognised, has anyone used this site before or this method?

I'm based in Cardiff, Wales, UK am 23, work full time and would like to widen my skills with teaching.

Any help would be wonderful!

Ask the trade union.
Here you go people, IT IS OFFICIALLY A SCAM, AND IS NOT A CERTIFIED COURSE AND QUALIFICATION, PLEASE SEE THE REPLY FROM GROUPON, I NOW URGE ALL WHO PURCHASED THIS TO COMPLAIN AND DEMAND A REFUND !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To Groupon Customer Service 23 Oct at 2:30 PM
REPLY,

I have checked the .GOV website and 'ONLINE ACADEMIES' are not recognised, and therefore the courses offered are also not recognised, and any certification is not allowed, the course is a money making FAKE scam, i will be taking this further and I also demand a full refund of all monies paid for the 3 x courses I purchased with then, on YOUR SITE.

Regards,
Kenneth Lowry

.........................................................................................................................................................................

Your Support Question for Online Academies
Sanjana (Groupon Customer Support - International)
Oct 24, 16:22 BST

Hi Kenneth,

Thanks for your continued patience and sorry for the inconvenience caused.

We have received an update from our management team stating that nowhere in the deal description was it mentioned that it's a certified diploma. So in this case we will not be responsible for the quality of service issue regarding the merchant. So in this case we will not be able to issue you a refund.

If there's anything else I can help you with, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Kind regards,

Sanjana
Reply 19
Hey...the course is not generally considered as one which any school would recognise. A diploma that you can do in two weeks, or two years...I was laughing my head off! I'm sorry to say but you are more likely to get help advancing your career, or starting your career by doing free modules from the OU (Open University). You only get a certificate of completion, but there is a hell of a lot of sound, solid information from some of the best tutors in the country. The OU is recognised by any school, and is indeed something that can only reflect well on yourself. I hope this helps.

Quick Reply