The Student Room Group

C3 practice paper

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MathMeister
give them an S if you haven't already xD

hopefully.... we shall see as step aint no easy edexcel exam. its actually hard like propa hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
hopefully.... we shall see as step aint no easy edexcel exam. its actually hard like propa hard.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Step 1 2001 isn't too bad.
So you're saying even with solid knowledge of C1-4 and Fp1-3, S1,2 and M1,2 it is still incredibly hard? I've read that it takes about 45 minutes for a step question! Not just 5 minutes where you saw the answer straight away...
(edited 9 years ago)
yh people didnt realis that on q4 the reactions of zero flip as the two people sit on either end as its about to tilt.

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol step 1 is quite good. step 2 and 3 is where stuff gets really difficult. You need around 5-6 good answers for an s in step. Only absolute geniuses get sss in step. I used i was able enough. I started doubting it after i completed my first question. u gota remember we dont know how they mark or what marking is on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So you're saying even with solid knowledge of C1-4 and Fp1-3, S1,2 and M1,2 it is still incredibly hard? I've read that it takes about 45 minutes for a step question! Not just 5 minutes where you saw the answer straight away...

lol ive spent days on one question. It is aimed at the top 2% of a level candidates. and out of that only a handful get good grades ie 1s and S's most likely the cambridge offer holders.

Posted from TSR Mobile
you could do all the modules and still not be able to do one question. It takes time and practice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
lol step 1 is quite good. step 2 and 3 is where stuff gets really difficult. You need around 5-6 good answers for an s in step. Only absolute geniuses get sss in step. I used i was able enough. I started doubting it after i completed my first question. u gota remember we dont know how they mark or what marking is on.
Posted from TSR Mobile

So- you're saying that you thought you could do it but after doing your first question you started doubting yourself.
I've read somewhere that a correct always answer gives full marks no matter the method used. So surely- so long as the question is answered you get full marks for that question??
you could do all the modules and still not be able to do one question. It takes time and practice.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you gradually getting better?
btw I hope to knock out a bit of C3/4 or (in fact quite a bit of it) this year. So I've got 2 years to prepare for Step... What would you wish you did when you were at the beginning of AS?
So- you're saying that you thought you could do it but after doing your first question you started doubting yourself.
I've read somewhere that a correct always answer gives full marks no matter the method used. So surely- so long as the question is answered you get full marks for that question??

thats true to an extent. Problem is theres parts and some parts are proof and others are answers so it normally is a bit weird.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thats true to an extent. Problem is theres parts and some parts are proof and others are answers so it normally is a bit weird. i thought i could get an s but now i doubt it. Hopefully i can get it in step 1.

Posted from TSR Mobile
btw I hope to knock out a bit of C3/4 or (in fact quite a bit of it) this year. So I've got 2 years to prepare for Step... What would you wish you did when you were at the beginning of AS?

yh the pure questions are the ones i struggle with. i normally get all the mechanics ones correct in all papers and normally one or two pure. so it might give me s in each paper. problem is its not timed and i take up to much time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

erm finish c3 c4 in yr 12 along with as maths and further maths was probably what i wished i did. 2 years is more then enough

Posted from TSR Mobile
step papers never get easiee they just get more managable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
yh the pure questions are the ones i struggle with. i normally get all the mechanics ones correct in all papers and normally one or two pure. so it might give me s in each paper. problem is its not timed and i take up to much time.
Posted from TSR Mobile

You mean you might get an S in Step 1,2 and 3?
Why can you do the mechanics questions? Because people are more familiar with pure, that might be why they supposedly make it harder... :/
I'd just like an S in Step 1...
well yh if i start answering questions withing 45 minutes and below. if not then i wont. I dont know why i can do mechanics questions, guess im just good at naturally. i can normally do 1-2 pure ones properly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've only just begun M1 so I cannot really judge the questions however they have a large mark allocation. I'm kind-of afraid since I am nowhere near as strong at mechanics as I am at Pure maths :/

Mechanics is something that takes a while to sink in, so don't panic yet.

There will never be another M1 paper quite like the January 2009 one. The chief examiner wanted the paper to be harder than the previous ones because the grade boundaries were getting too high. He did say afterwards that he realised that he'd overdone it.
Reply 76
Original post by Zacken
I figured that I would take a go at this, spoilered all my answers. :smile:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

4.This question literally came up in my IGCSE paper.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

I'll come back and finish the rest off later, I probably left plenty of silly mistakes though! :rolleyes:

an excellent attempt so far; I had a quick glance. Please try to give the rest of the solutions.
(see if you can also justify why a minus disapperared in 7a)
Reply 77
Original post by TeeEm
an excellent attempt so far; I had a quick glance. Please try to give the rest of the solutions.
(see if you can also justify why a minus disapperared in 7a)

Thank you! :biggrin:

Just a quick check, question eight seems to have a typo in it, the graph to sketch is in the form x=something x, I went ahead and assumed you meant y=something x? :smile:

I'm completely stymied at question 5(b) with the trigonometric equation, any hints? :eek:
Reply 78
Original post by Zacken
Thank you! :biggrin:

Just a quick check, question eight seems to have a typo in it, the graph to sketch is in the form x=something x, I went ahead and assumed you meant y=something x? :smile:

I'm completely stymied at question 5(b) with the trigonometric equation, any hints? :eek:

thanks for the typo. You are correct. Done the paper in a hurry this morning. I will try to type a note.

trig equation is all about breaking double angles which would lead to a cubic in cosx
then part (a) comes in.
Reply 79
Original post by TeeEm
thanks for the typo. You are correct. Done the paper in a hurry this morning. I will try to type a note.

trig equation is all about breaking double angles which would lead to a cubic in cosx
then part (a) comes in.

Cubic... dammit, I was doing the question and was thinking that a cubic was too high a degree. Stupid me. Thank you, I'll try and finish the solution off in a bit! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest