The Student Room Group

How many years student loan finance?

Hey guys.

I'm sure this question have been asked thousand times before but I just can't find a proper answer for it :biggrin: So, I was 1st year undergraduate last year and now I'm doing 1st year again cause I hated my previous course. I was wondering, how many years does studen loan finance in total? I have a friend who is in the same situation as me and she claims that she is allowed to study 4 more years and i can only do 3 more years. I can't understand how she works that out haha :biggrin: can someone help? :smile: Thanks guys!:colondollar:
Original post by shutthedoor
Hey guys.

I'm sure this question have been asked thousand times before but I just can't find a proper answer for it :biggrin: So, I was 1st year undergraduate last year and now I'm doing 1st year again cause I hated my previous course. I was wondering, how many years does studen loan finance in total? I have a friend who is in the same situation as me and she claims that she is allowed to study 4 more years and i can only do 3 more years. I can't understand how she works that out haha :biggrin: can someone help? :smile: Thanks guys!:colondollar:

Assuming this is for SFE?

Your entitlement for student finance is usually length of your course +1, so if you are doing a three year course, you can get 4 years in total- so your first year, your repeated year, and the two more years of your course. If she is doing a 4 year course and has repeated a year, she can still get full funding for the rest of her degree.
Reply 2
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Assuming this is for SFE?

Your entitlement for student finance is usually length of your course +1, so if you are doing a three year course, you can get 4 years in total- so your first year, your repeated year, and the two more years of your course. If she is doing a 4 year course and has repeated a year, she can still get full funding for the rest of her degree.

Thanks for your reply. But I'm not sure, does it depend on my first course or my current course? I was firstly doing a 4 year course but now I am doing a 3 year course and repeating a year.
Thanks for your reply. But I'm not sure, does it depend on my first course or my current course? I was firstly doing a 4 year course but now I am doing a 3 year course and repeating a year.

If you were originally on a 4 year course then technically you'd be eligible for 5 years funding....whether you would actually get that if you needed to repeat a year of your new degree though I don't know.

My understanding from when I discussed this with SFE (moving from a 3 year course to potentially a 4 year one) was that they were happy to provide funding for years abroad/placement years, but not necessarily for repeated years, particularly if the repeat was due to circumstances you could have foreseen- i.e. the same circumstances that caused you to drop out of your old course. However, this was just from speaking to an adviser about the possibility of doing a placement year, and SFE advisers have been known to contradict each other in the past. It's also around 2 years out of date now.

I think the best thing to do is to discuss your situation with SFE and try to get them to back up any funding commitments in writing. If they won't do this, then I would assume they will only give you 3+ 1 years of funding.

Quick Reply

Latest