The Student Room Group

Joining a gym for the first time

Hi guys,

I plan to join a gym and would like some advice. Here is some details about my current situation.

I’m 6ft3 and 73kg, having previously been 97kg - it took me 2 years to gradually reduce my weight. I would be classed as skinny fat.

I am 34 years old and, whilst not unfit, I am not that strong. I want to go to the gym and tone up whilst gaining some muscle definition, although I’m not interested in bulking up and gaining loads of muscle.

I work a Wednesday, Thursday and Friday from 8am to 8pm and these days are 100% out of the question for the gym. I have a Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday free. I was thinking of going to the gym Sunday, Monday and Tuesday but was wondering if it would be beneficial going three days in a row?

I plan to cycle or walk to the gym for a cardio work out.

Any advice is appreciated.
Ice Cream Fitness 5x5 would be ideal for you, as you're natural the "gaining tonnes of muscle" doesn't really apply. You'll gain a good amount of muscle reasonably quickly and on your off days you'll be able to do some cardio

Google it :smile:

You can do cardio on your off days should you wish

Eat around 1g -1.5g of protein per kg of bodyweight and eat a 250-500 calorie surplus using the TDEE calculator on iifym.com and myfitness pal to count calories at least to start

Good luck
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Angry cucumber
Ice Cream Fitness 5x5 would be ideal for you, as you're natural the "gaining tonnes of muscle" doesn't really apply. You'll gain a good amount of muscle reasonably quickly and on your off days you'll be able to do some cardio

Google it :smile:

You can do cardio on your off days should you wish

Eat around 1g -1.5g of protein per lb of bodyweight and eat a 250-500 calorie surplus using the TDEE calculator on iifym.com and myfitness pal to count calories at least to start

Good luck

Thanks for the reply. I looked up that 5x5 plan and it seems perfect.

Can I ask why I should eat extra protein?
Original post by stressfest
Thanks for the reply. I looked up that 5x5 plan and it seems perfect.

Can I ask why I should eat extra protein?

Damn I meant per kg of body weight in my post above (I've just edited it)

and it's for recovery and to be able to actually build your muscle - muscle contracting units are made out of protein and hence more protein (within reason) more muscle gain.

What I recommend is very easy to achieve - 80-90g of protein is 3 meals with a half decent protein source in :smile:
Reply 4
Damn I meant per kg of body weight in my post above (I've just edited it)

and it's for recovery and to be able to actually build your muscle - muscle contracting units are made out of protein and hence more protein (within reason) more muscle gain.

What I recommend is very easy to achieve - 80-90g of protein is 3 meals with a half decent protein source in :smile:

Ah right, I get it. Cheers. Just looking up more info about that work out now. :smile:

In most gyms is there always someone there to show you proper use of the machinery and to give you guidance and show you how to do the exercises properly? I can't afford a personal trainer situation.
Original post by stressfest
Ah right, I get it. Cheers. Just looking up more info about that work out now. :smile:

In most gyms is there always someone there to show you proper use of the machinery and to give you guidance and show you how to do the exercises properly? I can't afford a personal trainer situation.

There's a tonne of how tos on the internet, Juggernautfitness, candito traininghq, omar isuf and the "so you think you can bench squat/ deadlift/ bench" series is great as well

Once you've done that, video yourself doing the movements and places like here can do form checks :smile:
Reply 6
There's a tonne of how tos on the internet, Juggernautfitness, candito traininghq, omar isuf and the "so you think you can bench squat/ deadlift/ bench" series is great as well

Once you've done that, video yourself doing the movements and places like here can do form checks :smile:

Thanks again!
Just lift. No need to get into all the analysis. Even curls in the squat rack if you want. Just start.
Well, it sounds good that you are thinking about your health and looking for gym. In the world, where every one is busy today, it is very difficult to stay fit and attractive and take some time for it. You are deciding this is appreciable.
Get a good and effective gym trainer that will guide you from basics including all the strategies of diet as well.

Quick Reply

Latest