The Student Room Group

Training contracts 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NewDeparture
Right on the deadline, so that probably accounts for the silence!

If it helps, I applied on the 29th of December. I received an interview invite on the 20th of January; my interview was two weeks ago :smile:
Original post by J-SP
They can make offers if they are not a penultimate-year undergraduate. Nothing to do with them being a vac scheme student or not.

Although a lot going on in the legal press to say this code might be changing anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok thanks just wanted to clarify whether it was worth applying for straight training contracts now when firms that have a deadline on 31st July
Reply 302
Original post by Fruit-twist
Ok thanks just wanted to clarify whether it was worth applying for straight training contracts now when firms that have a deadline on 31st July

Hogan Lovells
Norton Rose
CMS
B&M
Slaughter and a few others do rolling hiring

Apparently Simmons will let you know within a week if you apply now.
Reply 303
In a cover letter is it better to start off with the 'why us' section and then go on to the 'why you' bit - or should it be the other way round? What structure should you generally use?
Reply 304
Original post by J-SP
I personally think the "why you" part usually isn't needed, especially if you have a strong CV.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks - so the entire cover letter should be about why I am interested in the firm? In the 'why you' part I usually go on to talk about what skills ive learnt from my extra curricular etc (as i dont have enough space to go into detail about this on my cv) - is it not necessary to include this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 305
Has anyone heard back from Dentons regarding a TC 2017 app?
I just want to reiterate something that somebody said earlier on this thread, and give my own two-cents worth. So I studied French at Durham, graduated last summer and I completed a vacation scheme at Clyde & Co in the Easter holidays. Apart from that, I had never got anywhere with my TC applications - not even an interview - except for a first-round interview at Travers Smith. I am currently on a gap year, so as you'd expect, I began applying in Novemberish time for TCs. However this time - my third round of applying to firms - I adopted a new tactic; I didn't use copy and paste for any of my applications, I started all of them fresh. Now I know I'm in a slightly advantageous position since I don't have any university work/activities to juggle (although I am doing a job and internship), and i know how tempting it is to take shortcuts when making these incredibly arduous applications, however as a result I received an interview from Freshfields and, ultimately, a TC offer from Hogan Lovells. I also want to say that no matter what track record you have with applications and interviews, theres always more to learn and you can always improve, and no matter how futile this process can seem, ultimately if you really set your mind to it and are really intent on pursuing this career, then you can make it happen.
So I have a quick question to throw out there for some advice. I've applied to Oxford University of a MSc in Law and Finance and am waiting to hear back from them regarding that (I find out yes or no on the 20th of March). I'm also applying for this round of training contract applications but have held back because if I do get an offer from Oxford I want to put that on my application. My question is:

a) Will having an offer from Oxford make the slightest bit of difference?
b) When applying should I put (this is working on the presumption that I get an offer :confused:) the start and finish date and make it clear it is only an offer at this stage?

Would just love some opinions on the matter as I have my applications ready to go, but in my mind having an offer might push me from a maybe to a yes?

Thanks all x
Original post by J-SP
Yes - once the offer is confirmed, add the future dates of the course in your application for clarity.

The MLF is one of the most respected courses out there but this doesn't mean it automatically opens doors. I have turned down enough MLF students in the past to know that even though its impressive, if you can't put a good application forward it won't sway any decisions.

Thank you for this response :smile:
Reply 309
Hi guys :smile:

2 general questions:

1) Do some firms prefer certain LPC providers even if they do not specify in their graduate website or brochure? For example, I know that Latham & Watkins have not mentioned any particular LPC.

2) What length of time do firms normally take before responding to applications?
(edited 9 years ago)
Bristows TC offer. Thanks for all your invaluable help and best of luck!
Original post by footchemllab
Bristows TC offer. Thanks for all your invaluable help and best of luck!

Congrats! Do you mind me asking did you apply for a straight TC and had you done any TCs previously...
Original post by Fruit-twist
Congrats! Do you mind me asking did you apply for a straight TC and had you done any TCs previously...

Thanks! I did apply for a TC but I did the Winter Workshop there so I just had to submit a letter instead of redoing the whole application again. I also did the video interview for the Workshop so didn't have to do that again so I had 2 interviews this time round.
Reply 313
Anyone applied to BLP, CMS or Mayer Brown yet?
Original post by Endoftheworld
Hi guys which tc would you pick - ashurst or hogan lovells? Mainly intereated in corporate and finance work.

Ashursts, on the ground you would still have an outside chance of having a life.
Hi all- I was just wondering if it is ever permissible to write out responses in the TC app in bullet point form? The app has a very limited word count and it also has an icon for bullets and numbering.

Thanks in advance!
Original post by J-SP
Grades are seen as important unfortunately - I can't see that ever changing.

As I said, for those who haven't got work experience, I recommend the open days/insight programmes/workshops. Firms can afford to aim off on the recruitment criteria for them. You then have your foot in the door to impress and your CV/application will look stronger.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi! :smile:

Sorry for quoting a fairly old post of yours but I just discovered this thread recently. What do you think one can do to impress the graduate recruiters on an Open Day? Or what should one prepare before going to an Open Day? Because I have secured a place on an Open Day at Clifford Chance and I would really like to utilise the chance to meet their people and to know more about their firm generally.

Thank you!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by J-SP
I don't think you need to prepare for it apart from turning up on time.

You are going to be inundated with information during the day, so it's not like you are expected to know it all before you arrive.

Be polite, inquisitive, eager to listen and learn, ask questions (although don't try and be clever with them or dominate the "has anyone got a question" part), take notes, get other people involved in any activities (group exercises etc) and just enjoy it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, really!

Btw do you think it is a good idea to write them an email after the event saying how grateful you are and what you have learnt from the event etc?
Hey everyone, I have a final round TC interview with Dentons in the next few weeks. I know it's a presentation and Q&A with the Partners but that's all. Does anyone have any tips? Any advice would be much appreciated :-)
Reply 319
Hey guys,

My internet is back up and running so I will be back posting regularly on my blog again! Please feel free to check it out if you need any help/advice! https://futuretrainee.wordpress.com/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending