The Student Room Group

Training contracts 2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Guys- do some firms offer interviews for TCs without having done any vacation scheme in the past (at any firm)? Thanks!
Shearman and sterling:smile: :smile: :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by J-SP
Yes - but candidates will need to demonstrate strong work experience elsewhere and have a clear understanding of what the job entails. I usually recommend building up applications with open days/workshops for those who have had no legal work experience though before they apply for TCs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's a vicious circle. If you don't have the grades you can't get experience or if you have the grades and no experience it's still quite difficult

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by J-SP
Grades are seen as important unfortunately - I can't see that ever changing.

As I said, for those who haven't got work experience, I recommend the open days/insight programmes/workshops. Firms can afford to aim off on the recruitment criteria for them. You then have your foot in the door to impress and your CV/application will look stronger.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course as law is too competitive..thus there's that A level filter to distinguish the best. Even these opendays/workshops are too competitive!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 84
Original post by J-SP
I wouldn't say it's too competitive, more so that standards are high.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes the standards are wayyyyyy toooooo high and I feel that the firms don't allow for much flexibility. I think judging people by their grades only and some insights isnt necessarily the best way to gauge the long term success of a lawyer. I think successful lawyers in the long term are people who have great people skills, and are street smart on top of being academic.
Original post by roro123
Yes the standards are wayyyyyy toooooo high and I feel that the firms don't allow for much flexibility. I think judging people by their grades only and some insights isnt necessarily the best way to gauge the long term success of a lawyer. I think successful lawyers in the long term are people who have great people skills, and are street smart on top of being academic.

Agree. A few years of education does not determine how good/successful a solicitor will be for the next 50 years.
I read on lawyer2b that minimum pay for a solicitor on a high street is £16-18k gping at £6.
05 advised by the Sra.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by J-SP
There isn't a minimum wage. The SRA abolished the training contract minimum wage in 2012 and it decision came into effect in August of this year.

Any salary would now have to meet the national minimum wage of £6.50 per hour (which is just under £12k per year).

Before the decision, the minimum salary was around £16k for outside of London and about £18k for in London. I suspect most firms will keep to around these levels though, despite the change.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So like £8 an hour...that's why city commercial firms are the best!!! Interesting and £40k per year well I've seen mostly!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fudgecake22
So like £8 an hour...that's why city commercial firms are the best!!! Interesting and £40k per year well I've seen mostly!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think salary represents whether the firm is the "best" for you.
Original post by yytan154
Just got an AC at Macfarlanes, does anyone know what the exercises are like or what kind of questions they ask?

Hi,

When's yours? Mine's on Tuesday the 6th! Absolutely bricking it and no idea what they're going to ask! Mainly concerned about commercial awareness.
Original post by g2ljonsey
Hi,

When's yours? Mine's on Tuesday the 6th! Absolutely bricking it and no idea what they're going to ask! Mainly concerned about commercial awareness.

Hi,

I wonder is this for TC or vac scheme?
Original post by g2ljonsey
Hi,

Mine's the same day, so I look forward to seeing you then! It's the commercial awareness that I'm concerned about as well - that's something one can only prepare for up to a certain extent!
Original post by Endoftheworld
Hi,

I wonder is this for TC or vac scheme?

Hi,

It's for the Vac Scheme!
Hi guys,

Has anyone written a cover letter for a training contract which proved to be successful? i.e. invite to the next stage? If so, would you kindly be able to share your outline on it etc?
Does anyone have any info on what Travers Smith's first interview is like?
I exceed the A level requirements still cannot get a ****** vacation scheme experience. Wth am I doing wrong? ! :frown: :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 97
Original post by fudgecake22

If decisions were made solely on grades, we'd all have training contracts! Unfortunately it's an extremely difficult and competitive process, for which you need work experience, grades, extra-curricular activities and a whole lot of luck!
Original post by yytan154
Does anyone have any info on what Travers Smith's first interview is like?

Hi I had mine not so long ago, it was very relaxed! Like a conversation. One of my favourite interview experiences. Be prepared to be asked moral debate questions, there's no right or wrong they just want to see how you think on your feet. Don't crumble or break down with nerves, think and pause before addressing every question. All the best xx
Original post by busybody1
Hi I had mine not so long ago, it was very relaxed! Like a conversation. One of my favourite interview experiences. Be prepared to be asked moral debate questions, there's no right or wrong they just want to see how you think on your feet. Don't crumble or break down with nerves, think and pause before addressing every question. All the best xx

Hi, what do you mean by 'morality debate questions'?

Thanks, hope it went well!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending