The Student Room Group

Advice on revision books for Highers ?

Hello there people !
Well because its the october break Im planning on starting to revise slowly for the prelims :biggrin:

Spoiler

So if your doing higher or started advanced highers. What are the books that you really find useful and easy to follow when it comes to revision ?
Last year I used more of BrightRed revision guides rather than Leckie&Leckie since for me the L&L books for Nat 5 were complete waffle ! :colondollar:
But this year the L&L seem better but Im wondering if there are any other revision guides that you bought and find useful ?
It may be useful if you tell us what subjects you're studying as different guides are better for different subjects.
Original post by greenladybird
It may be useful if you tell us what subjects you're studying as different guides are better for different subjects.

Oh yes sorry ! :colondollar:
Well I am currently doing Higher English,Biology, Business Management, French and Modern Studies :smile:
Out of these I already have bought a Leckie&Leckie Bus Man guide and I have a Grade Booster for French
Reply 3
"grade booster"
Original post by Ecasx
"grade booster"

Exactly hahah !
Some bits are really useless in it since it basically tells you someone elses speaking test and youre not exactly going to say the same thing :biggrin:
But like the writing section of it is pretty good- it gives you adv and disadv so yeah hahah. It was half price anyway because our teacher ordered them for us all so wasnt that much of a waste of money
Reply 5
Original post by guzz6
Exactly hahah !
Some bits are really useless in it since it basically tells you someone elses speaking test and youre not exactly going to say the same thing :biggrin:
But like the writing section of it is pretty good- it gives you adv and disadv so yeah hahah. It was half price anyway because our teacher ordered them for us all so wasnt that much of a waste of money

Hahaha

Dumbass name tho
Original post by greenladybird

Original post by Ecasx
Hahaha

Dumbass name tho

So do you guys have any good suggestions on the books that youre using/used ? :smile:
I borrowed a few revision books (brightred I think) from the library and didnt think they were worth it.

I thought it was easier to learn by answering questions rather than learning notes :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by guzz6
So do you guys have any good suggestions on the books that youre using/used ? :smile:

Don't buy books for a timetabled lesson

People think that buying a book will magically improve their grade. If you can't learn from being taught, you certainly aren't going to learn from plain text. Save the money and study your notes, ask more questions etc.

The flip side is of course if your teacher's ****. Then yeah, buy a book

(Most are crap)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Pennyarcade
I borrowed a few revision books (brightred I think) from the library and didnt think they were worth it.

I thought it was easier to learn by answering questions rather than learning notes :smile:

Aw right okay personally I dont like answering questions but I shall try it thanks :smile:

Original post by Ecasx
Don't buy books for a timetabled lesson

People think that buying a book will magically improve their grade. If you can't learn from being taught, you certainly aren't going to learn from plain text. Save the money and study your notes, ask more questions etc.

The flip side is of course if your teacher's ****. Then yeah, buy a book

(Most are crap)

Yeah Id have to agree with you but for me a Higher Biology book is a necessity ! My teacher is so sh*t :/ Like he takes at least 15 mins to print things out for us or find a powerpoint then he starts explaining the topic to us but as soon as someone mentions something off topic he goes off topic as well so then we find ourselves learning nothing for the rest of the lesson and him speaking about things that we dont need for the exam

But as pennyarcade as well as yourself said I'll try to ask / answer more questions and write down more notes for other subjects :smile: Thanks
Reply 10
Original post by guzz6
Aw right okay personally I dont like answering questions but I shall try it thanks :smile:

Yeah Id have to agree with you but for me a Higher Biology book is a necessity ! My teacher is so sh*t :/ Like he takes at least 15 mins to print things out for us or find a powerpoint then he starts explaining the topic to us but as soon as someone mentions something off topic he goes off topic as well so then we find ourselves learning nothing for the rest of the lesson and him speaking about things that we dont need for the exam

But as pennyarcade as well as yourself said I'll try to ask / answer more questions and write down more notes for other subjects :smile: Thanks

I watched a lot of videos to learn Human Bio. Might help you!
Are you doing cfe or old higher. I think for the old higher leckie abc leckie are better. Haga
Original post by Ecasx
I watched a lot of videos to learn Human Bio. Might help you!

What site were they on ? By the way I am doing the full Biology course :mad: and not just Human Biology - which I would much more prefer ! So I'm not sure whether the site that you used will have videos based on normal bio ? :colondollar:

Original post by Larissa14
Are you doing cfe or old higher. I think for the old higher leckie abc leckie are better. Haga

I'm doing the old higher ( thank god for that :colone: ) aw right okay thanks :smile: Our teacher gave us this book that apparently he recommends and says that its useful, but I feel like its a too old :s-smilie:
http://www.amazon.com/Revision-Notes-Revised-Higher-Biology/dp/1870570529
Original post by guzz6
What site were they on ? By the way I am doing the full Biology course :mad: and not just Human Biology - which I would much more prefer ! So I'm not sure whether the site that you used will have videos based on normal bio ? :colondollar:

I'm doing the old higher ( thank god for that :colone: ) aw right okay thanks :smile: Our teacher gave us this book that apparently he recommends and says that its useful, but I feel like its a too old :s-smilie:
http://www.amazon.com/Revision-Notes-Revised-Higher-Biology/dp/1870570529

wow thats an old book, im not sure. Try looking for revised higher biology books?
The James Torrance, Hodder Gibson CfE higher book is pretty good for biology, and probably one of the cheaper ones too :wink:
Original post by Larissa14
wow thats an old book, im not sure. Try looking for revised higher biology books?

Yeah I'll do that ! hahaha the full october break is ending and haven't even looked at bio :colondollar:

Original post by Treen98
The James Torrance, Hodder Gibson CfE higher book is pretty good for biology, and probably one of the cheaper ones too :wink:

Thanks :smile: But is it for the old higher ? Cause all the books that I've seen with for CfE are for the new higher ?
Original post by guzz6
Yeah I'll do that ! hahaha the full october break is ending and haven't even looked at bio :colondollar:

Thanks :smile: But is it for the old higher ? Cause all the books that I've seen with for CfE are for the new higher ?

In wh smiths they most still have old higher books out so you should have a look there. My local hw smiths only has 1 cfe higher book :frown: But has like 30 old higher books lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending