The Student Room Group

Found out my dad is cheating on my mum

So I was looking through some pictures on my dad's phone, and a WhatsApp notification popped up at the top from a woman who was not my mum. Obviously thinking it was harmless I clicked on it, and I came across a mine of sexting and filth essentially between my dad and this other woman.

Now I know that around Easter time they had a serious talk about where the relationship was headed, and they decided that while they lacked something from when they started, they would stay together and make it work, not just for me (started uni last week) and my sister (just gone into Year 11) but because there was still something there. They both made compromises, my dad sold his sports car for something more sensible for example, and it seemed that they were headed in the right direction from what I could see.

But this has really messed me up. My parents are literally my 2 favourite people in the world and I never thought that either, especially my dad, had this in them. As I read the first few messages I was literally in floods of tears and I very rarely cry, and in fact I've just started to cry again..

I really have no idea what to do. I don't think my mum has any idea, and my sister would be absolutely torn apart if she found out anything like this was going on. For this reason I feel I have to keep it all a secret and not let them know, and hope that dad works things out and things all go back to normal, but it's only been an hour and I'm already struggling. Being away from home for the first time and not thoroughly enjoying uni is only making things worse.

Seriously, does anyone have any tips or advice on what to do here, I'm completely lost and empty
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
So I was looking through some pictures on my dad's phone, and a WhatsApp notification popped up at the top from a woman who was not my mum. Obviously thinking it was harmless I clicked on it, and I came across a mine of sexting and filth essentially between my dad and this other woman.

Now I know that around Easter time they had a serious talk about where the relationship was headed, and they decided that while they lacked something from when they started, they would stay together and make it work, not just for me (started uni last week) and my sister (just gone into Year 11) but because there was still something there. They both made compromises, my dad sold his sports car for something more sensible for example, and it seemed that they were headed in the right direction from what I could see.

But this has really messed me up. My parents are literally my 2 favourite people in the world and I never thought that either, especially my dad, had this in them. As I read the first few messages I was literally in floods of tears and I very rarely cry, and in fact I've just started to cry again..

I really have no idea what to do. I don't think my mum has any idea, and my sister would be absolutely torn apart if she found out anything like this was going on. For this reason I feel I have to keep it all a secret and not let them know, and hope that dad works things out and things all go back to normal, but it's only been an hour and I'm already struggling. Being away from home for the first time and not thoroughly enjoying uni is only making things worse.

Seriously, does anyone have any tips or advice on what to do here, I'm completely lost and empty

blackmail him.

make him buy back that sports car and give it to you
Going through people's stuff is not on, seriously.

Anyway, your mom probably does know or at least has an idea. I'd talk to your dad first.
It's really difficult to say what you should do here. Basically you have two choices: a) tell your dad what you saw and talk about the situation with him and tell him how much it upsets you, or b) don't say anything and let your parents, both adults, work it out in their own time.

If I were you, I'd keep it to yourself. It's none of your business quite frankly, and telling someone what you saw may only lead to a worse, and more uncomfortable, situation. If you're really struggling with this (and uni in general), I'd go and see a counsellor to try and talk your problems through with them.
You tell your mum, you do not let her live a lie while your dad gets his rocks off somewhere else.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by perflous
It's really difficult to say what you should do here. Basically you have two choices: a) tell your dad what you saw and talk about the situation with him and tell him how much it upsets you, or b) don't say anything and let your parents, both adults, work it out in their own time.

If I were you, I'd keep it to yourself. It's none of your business quite frankly, and telling someone what you saw may only lead to a worse, and more uncomfortable, situation. If you're really struggling with this (and uni in general), I'd go and see a counsellor to try and talk your problems through with them.

This.

The thing I would say is that if you do end up telling your mum or tell your dad to come clean or else , I personally would regret it, because I would know I was a catalyst in ending the marriage. As much as mum should know and dad is wrong for doing it, they are still your parents. It would cause more damage than you would think, especially if there has been previous difficulties in the relationship. Speak to a Councillor or someone else about it, or tell your dad that you know and that it is not on, and just hope he is faithful again.
Reply 6
Thanks for all the advice guys

I've slept on it now; I'm not thinking about it just emotionally any more as I was when I posted the thread, I'm thinking the situation through rationally, and I'm not gonna say anything for now. As people have said, saying something is only going to make things worse between them, and ideally for me and especially my sister they stay together.

Thanks again for getting my thoughts straight on this :ta:
Whaaaaaat. I disagree with the comments I'm reading here.

You are just harbouring something that is always going to be the "elephant in the room". I do not think not saying anything is the best option. You are putting all that pressure on yourself and it is unfair to you. I would let your dad know that you saw the messages and encourage him to do the right thing, whatever that may be. But let him decide what that is as it is his marriage and his responsibility.

Also, don't let anyone tell you this is none of your business. Your dad's actions may eventually directly affect your family and their future including yours.
Not telling your mum would be unfair. Your dad is a scumbag.
Original post by HotCoco.
Whaaaaaat. I disagree with the comments I'm reading here.

You are just harbouring something that is always going to be the "elephant in the room". I do not think not saying anything is the best option. You are putting all that pressure on yourself and it is unfair to you. I would let your dad know that you saw the messages and encourage him to do the right thing, whatever that may be. But let him decide what that is as it is his marriage and his responsibility.

Also, don't let anyone tell you this is none of your business. Your dad's actions may eventually directly affect your family and their future including yours.

Agreed.

Original post by stargirl63
This.

The thing I would say is that if you do end up telling your mum or tell your dad to come clean or else , I personally would regret it, because I would know I was a catalyst in ending the marriage. As much as mum should know and dad is wrong for doing it, they are still your parents. It would cause more damage than you would think, especially if there has been previous difficulties in the relationship. Speak to a Councillor or someone else about it, or tell your dad that you know and that it is not on, and just hope he is faithful again.

The 'damage' has already been done by the Dad, so revealing the truth to him/Mum/whoever is not the cause of the damage and would not be OP's fault. Likewise, telling someone about what they found would not make the OP the 'catalyst' for potentially ending the marriage, it would be the Dad's actions if anything.

What you're essentially saying is that as long as the Mum doesn't know the Dad is cheating then there is no problem in the marriage, which is demonstrably nonsense because the marriage is already failing if one party is being unfaithful. A problem doesn't require you to know about it for it to be a problem.

EDIT: also, it's a very, very difficult position to be in, especially as a child. Personally, I would let my Dad know that I know first but then I would have to tell my Mum too because I cannot see any way in which I could hide that information from her without it being a monumental betrayal of her trust and love. It's true that it might not end well if you took this course of action, but that would be your Father's responsibility, not yours.

I would also add that while I can of course sympathise with your desire to keep your family unit in tact, I think that putting that selfish desire above your Mother's right to know the truth is selfish and, from your Mother's point of view, bordering on cruel regardless of how pure your intentions are.
(edited 9 years ago)
I was in a similar situation, although my parents had split up it was still a 'trial' and he was trying to get her back... I found out he had been having an affair for a good year and was still at it

the first thing to say is that if you tell and your parents split that DOES NOT make it your fault, she will find out eventually especially if he's not being very secretive (e.g. deleting the texts and so on) and it will only be worse the longer it goes on, he made the decision to cheat and the consequences are his fault

the second thing, I didn't tell anyone for years to protect my mum and it totally ate me up and ruined my relationship with my dad, in the end it turned out my mum found out for herself and didn't tell me or my sisters to protect us as well and we were both dealing with it alone when we could have been supporting each other...

if I were you I would confront my dad and tell him he has to come clean and the consequences are what they are he will have to face them and then work together as a family to get through it

try not to hate your dad too much, we are all human and breaking up a marriage is a really hard thing to do even if you think you've found 'the one' or whatever somewhere else, I'm not condoning cheating in any circumstance but this is probably really hard for him too
I was in a position where I used someones phone and found a Whatsapp thread that shouldnt have been there. Its complicated but I couldnt tell him I knew and it wasnt really anything to do with me (except people I care about would have been hurt), so I deleted the thread and her contact details totally and put a block on the number, and left the phone where I found it. It was enough to make this person really think about what they were doing. They knew someone knew but didnt know who and it all turned out quite peachy. Before people criticise, I know it wasnt right but it turned out for everyones happiness.
You probably will never read this- hut I saw it because it just happened in my family- I am the wife. Still trying to decide what to do. My daughter caught her Dad sexting and maybe more(?), and told me pretty quickly. Secrets have no place in a family- it is seriously disturbing to a family when the truth is not confronted, however painful. It is also unhealthy physically for a son or daughter to swallow fear for all of their lives. I was so grateful to my child- I always tell her to share the truth in life to ease her pain and suffering. What kind of healthy family keeps those secrets? Why should she live knowing a terrible secret?! What a burden to put on a child. I say bring it out in the open- no one wants to model such a poor relationship for their kids- because that is what they will accept for themselves someday!! Then in the end they will pity their parents rather than respect and emulate them. Dont be responsible for hiding the misdeeds of others- if they get caught its because they deserve to or wanted to be.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending