The Student Room Group

Camp America application?

First of all should i be a campower or a councillor. I like kids and am good with them, and the activities i get to do sound awesome, but the better pay and longer travel time afterards (i think?) sound awesome. What do you think? How boring is it being a campower, and which role should i apply to?

Also how competitive do you think i will be
Babysitting jobs
Long term volunteering with a charity, working with underpriviledged youths
National Citizanship programme
Army Cadet
4 younger siblings
Used to go horse riding
Orange belt in Judo
You've certainly got plenty of experience working with children which will put you in great stead for a camp counselor role!

I was a counselor meaning I was with the kids pretty much 24/7, minus a few days off, for my entire time at camp. I absolutely loved that but it's not for everyone. In contrast, campowers (called support staff at my camp) had an awful lot of free time to themselves during the summer to use camp facilities, explore local surrounding, top up tans etc. It really does depend on what you yourself want to get out of camp.

Support staff to tend to get paid slightly more but I'm not sure if they get extra travel time. If they're on the J1 visa like counselors, which I'm pretty sure they are, it's 30 days travel time once your contract has ended.
Reply 2
Original post by smileitsjess
You've certainly got plenty of experience working with children which will put you in great stead for a camp counselor role!

Support staff to tend to get paid slightly more but I'm not sure if they get extra travel time. If they're on the J1 visa like counselors, which I'm pretty sure they are, it's 30 days travel time once your contract has ended.

Thanks! DO you think I have enough experience to be a advanced councillor or something?
Also what facilities do the support staff get to use, my main worry would be missing out on fun stuff!
Original post by JustHoping
Thanks! DO you think I have enough experience to be a advanced councillor or something?
Also what facilities do the support staff get to use, my main worry would be missing out on fun stuff!

You generally need to have nationally recognised qualifications in your chosen sport from the governing body plus formal teaching/coaching experience to be an advanced skills counselor.

I can only give you information which applies to my camp as I've never been to any other. The support staff slept in the same bunks as we did (but not with the kids), ate in the same dining hall and they were allowed to use the pool and lake, including the boats and the lake toys, at the same times as the rest of the camp. There would be nothing stopping them using the basketball courts or tennis courts etc in free time but the big difference is that they wouldn't be able to participate in organised activities with the kids.
Reply 4
Original post by smileitsjess
You generally need to have nationally recognised qualifications in your chosen sport from the governing body plus formal teaching/coaching experience to be an advanced skills counselor.

I can only give you information which applies to my camp as I've never been to any other. The support staff slept in the same bunks as we did (but not with the kids), ate in the same dining hall and they were allowed to use the pool and lake, including the boats and the lake toys, at the same times as the rest of the camp. There would be nothing stopping them using the basketball courts or tennis courts etc in free time but the big difference is that they wouldn't be able to participate in organised activities with the kids.

Thanks, that is a big help. I think i'll apply for councillor

Quick Reply

Latest