The Student Room Group

How much interest do/did you have for your course? [POLL]

This poll is closed

How much interest do/did you have for your course?

0/10 - you have no interest at all in your course 3%
1/10 1%
2/10 2%
3/10 5%
4/10 5%
5/10 - you're interested in about half the content of your course 12%
6/10 8%
7/10 17%
8/10 17%
9/10 13%
10/10 - you're interested in everything about your course17%
Total votes: 149
I'm curious. It seems to me that a lot of people on my course and on others have little interest. I've seen people literally fall asleep in afternoon lectures. So how interested are you in your university course?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
6-8/10 I guess, but some lecturers make it extremely boring
Reply 2
6/10 - I do law.
I don't think almost any lawyers can claim to be interested in 100% of the course. Some bits are inevitably dull, even on say interesting units. But overall I think 6/10 is enough.
7/10 - Was a lot higher before I started reading all the boring and heavy academic text, especially on compulsory modules.
Reply 4
2/10, I hate it, but I enjoy the odd thing here or there.
8/10. Lots of stuff I am very interested in, with just a few bits I find boring.
9 when I started
2 when I graduated
Reply 7
When you guys say you're interested in it, do you actually enjoy doing work on it?

Because for me, having an interest in something often just means that I'm curious about it, which isn't the same as having joy out of it. For example, I could be curious about the properties of a material, but would I find it enjoyable to read a book about it in my leisure? Probably not.
4. I thought I'd love it but honestly, every bit of assigned reading I have to slog through is killing something I used to love about my subjects (drama and English).
Love all of it.

Study English language and TEFL, so I have modules like psycholonguistics, sociolinguistics, neurolinguistics, dialect studies etc. Can't get enough and genuinely read books on this stuff 'for fun'. Also taking Mandarin and Italian modules because languages are satisfying :h:
Original post by fuzzybear
I'm curious. It seems to me that a lot of people on my course and on others have little interest. I've seen people literally fall asleep in afternoon lectures. So how interested are you in your university course?

When I first started uni I wasn't interested in my subject at all - I only took it because it seemed like the subject most likely to get me a job, out of my options. It certainly wasn't my strongest subject at A Level.

Over the years I got more an more interested in it (albeit in a bit of a cynical way :wink:) and now I've graduated I realised that it has actually been genuinely helpful for me so now I'm really interested in it. :biggrin:
8/10

I'm studying biology and I do love the subject, especially microbiology and evolution, I can't stand the ecology side of it and unfortunately that is a big part of the course. I sometimes wish I went for microbiology instead.
Original post by Spock's Socks
8/10

I'm studying biology and I do love the subject, especially microbiology and evolution, I can't stand the ecology side of it and unfortunately that is a big part of the course. I sometimes wish I went for microbiology instead.

:lol: I hear a lot of biology students complaining about ecology!

What year are you in? Do you have options to pick less ecology focused modules next year?
Some of the modules are crap but then some are really good. :dontknow:
Oh I loved everything about my course, but that still didn't stop me falling asleep constantly. There is just something about a warm lecture hall and a droning voice... zzzzz...
7/10.

While not especially difficult there are too many business modules versus the purer economics course i'd want to study.
8/10. Enjoying it but dislike the mathematical element a bit too much :redface:
Reply 17
Original post by fallen_acorns
9 when I started
2 when I graduated

I started at 9 or 10 out of 10
as soon as had a few lectures of maths dropped to 7
Became depressed October of first year down to 1
Up a wee bit to a 3 or 4 because I've got the hang of organic chemistry and other core stuff.
Doubt will increase more at this stage because I'm final year
so pretty much all over the scale
Original post by cdoyle
I started at 9 or 10 out of 10
as soon as had a few lectures of maths dropped to 7
Became depressed October of first year down to 1
Up a wee bit to a 3 or 4 because I've got the hang of organic chemistry and other core stuff.
Doubt will increase more at this stage because I'm final year
so pretty much all over the scale

Id be suprised if anyone stayed the same, we all go through patches of highs and lows.

For me, although I finished my course, really not liking it - I now work in the same field as my degree, and love it :biggrin:

It was more that I was sick of doing work that felt pointless.. an essay for the sake of an essay, an exam for no other reason then to be assessed..

Now though, working in my field, doing a job where my skills and what I know actually has meaning, and practical outcomes, its great! nothing feels pointless, and the hard-work actually feels like its worth something, rather then just to pass a test (ofcourse being paid helps this a fair bit :wink: )
Reply 19
7/10

A couple of things in each module can be a bit tedious, but I like the majority of it and so a 7 is probably the my number.

Quick Reply

Latest