The Student Room Group

Third Year non-Law student: Am I too late?

Hi everyone! Just need some advice, either from applicants or from those who have been through the process.
I'm in my third year of a History degree at a Russell Group university, averaging a mid 2:1 with a chance at a first. My original intention was to do an MA etc but I've come back to the idea of law recently; it was something I considered before uni but not to the extent of work experience etc. I have worked all through uni and in the holidays (out of necessity more than anything), in everything from retail to b2b sales to admin work, just nothing specifically legal in nature

Obviously the fact that I do history isn't much of a hindrance but as said, I've got no legal related work experience at all. Though I have a pretty solid knowledge of the different areas of law and what they entail, will the fact that I haven't actually done anything pretty much rule me out in terms of vacation schemes and training contracts for this year? There's a law fair at my university in the coming weeks and I have earmarked a few employers to talk to but I just don't want to be laughed out the building in favor of those who have prepared for this since they were 18.

Any advice at all on how to proceed would be welcomed! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by dinolove
Hi everyone! Just need some advice, either from applicants or from those who have been through the process.
I'm in my third year of a History degree at a Russell Group university, averaging a mid 2:1 with a chance at a first. My original intention was to do an MA etc but I've come back to the idea of law recently; it was something I considered before uni but not to the extent of work experience etc. I have worked all through uni and in the holidays (out of necessity more than anything), in everything from retail to b2b sales to admin work, just nothing specifically legal in nature

Obviously the fact that I do history isn't much of a hindrance but as said, I've got no legal related work experience at all. Though I have a pretty solid knowledge of the different areas of law and what they entail, will the fact that I haven't actually done anything pretty much rule me out in terms of vacation schemes and training contracts for this year? There's a law fair at my university in the coming weeks and I have earmarked a few employers to talk to but I just don't want to be laughed out the building in favor of those who have prepared for this since they were 18.

There is a two yea law conversion course you can apply for after graduation. I forgot its name however it definitely exists and is available to students currently studying any subject.

You're not too late at all, however the cost and time are something to think about
Reply 2
Original post by AdamCee
There is a two yea law conversion course you can apply for after graduation. I forgot its name however it definitely exists and is available to students currently studying any subject.

You're not too late at all, however the cost and time are something to think about

Realised how blase and ignorant I come across in my first post. I'm aware of the different steps and routes there are into a law career for me (thought I'd specify that after the GDL, ideally I'd do a LPC and go down the solicitor route). I would definitely consider self-funding the GDL etc after uni, but this would involve several years out to raise the money to do so and a training contract would obviously bypass the need for that so I was wondering about my chances into being accepted for the 2017 intake?
I don't think you should think in terms of 'too late' at all. Across the board, legal experience is expected so you will need to get some ASAP - make a plan as to how to do this - yes, official vacation schemes are a very good idea - excellent legal experience of course, but usually an extended TC interview for that particular firm. But there are plenty of other ways to show you are 'committed to a career in law'.

You need work ex a) because it shows commitment but b) so that you are convincing when it comes to that perennial recruiter question 'why law?'.

So work out the answer to your 'why law'? I don't think it is a problem that you did not work out that you wanted to do law until your third year, but you do need to unpick your decision making behind this. People's 'why law'? is different from person to person.

So, investigate other avenues of valuable experience - 'commercial awareness' is a big thing - you sound as if you have lots of experience here which will assist - perhaps investigate charities and legal experience opportunities if you want to go into an area of law where this might suit - also short term, one-off things can be used to widen your legal experience - I always suggest observing in courts/tribunals - you learn a lot. Investigate what your local law firms/chambers have on - there are often events and talks you may be able to attend.

The whole TC thing is a journey anyway so you would do well to get on and get cracking with it - if you are thinking of self-funding the GDL then another year will be OK. And re VS, it is an argument to say you want to learn more about whether law is for you - but you will be up against some stiff competition - I would have a go anyway as it will get you into the pattern of the thing - meanwhile, investigate your own options and generate your own opportunities. Check out the TC rejection/acceptance thread - you will get a feeling of the work that goes into the whole app process -

Original post by dinolove

Quick Reply

Latest