The Student Room Group

You agree to meet a girl. Then find out she's fat.

Anonymous for obvious reasons.

So I've been talking to this guy recently and he has agreed that he wants to meet me. He's obviously seen my photos however they are only from the shoulders and up, no lower body etc. He's said I look "nice" but that's it.

He looks like he cares about his fitness, has a six pack, broad shoulders etc. I've seen him a few times around uni (from afar) and he does look quite health concious.

It's not like I'm a size 10 and fishing for compliments. I'm a size 16 and the largest girl in my flat and recently put weight on in uni, so feeling even larger.
I've just taken my measurements now and they are as follows (all in inches)

Bust: 43"
Waist: 37"
Hips: 45"
Upper thighs: 28"
Upper arms: 13.5"
Wrists: 7"

What would you do in this situation, when she is approaching you?
Would you leave and cancel the meeting?
Go on it, but never see her again?
Go on it, but let her down gently that she's too big for you / not your type however you want to word it?

I'm just worried he is going to run a mile when he sees me or just think, what mess have I got myself into, she may eat me.
Or think, hop on a treadmill fatty.

Scroll to see replies

Surely the best thing to do is to show him a full, accurate photo, and let him decide from there?
Hey you never know, maybe you'll become workout buddies! :smile: But seriously, if he loses interest in you because of your weight, then that's his loss.
Reply 3
Original post by Mankytoes
Surely the best thing to do is to show him a full, accurate photo, and let him decide from there?

I never taken a full length photo of myself.

The photos of me are accurate, like taken seconds before I've sent them, no make-up etc. Just nothing below the shoulder/chest area.
I tend to hide behind others in club photos.

He's already agreed to meet and not asked to see a full length shot.
I have no idea what those stats translate to IRL. How tall are you and how much do you weigh?
Reply 5
Original post by Silver Arrow
I have no idea what those stats translate to IRL. How tall are you and how much do you weigh?

5ft 3"

I was 13st 3 coming to uni but most likely piled on the pounds since.
Original post by Anonymous
I never taken a full length photo of myself.

The photos of me are accurate, like taken seconds before I've sent them, no make-up etc. Just nothing below the shoulder/chest area.
I tend to hide behind others in club photos.

He's already agreed to meet and not asked to see a full length shot.

You can say they are "accurate", but it sounds like you've deliberately not shown him what you consider to be an important part of what you look like. I would think it would be better all round if he saw what you look like first- if there is a problem, surely you'd rather it came up before a face to face meeting? If you aren't being honest, I don't think you can complain if he doesn't react well.

Well that would be a bit of a weird request.

I have no idea what you look like, I don't really know enough to draw much from the numbers you posted. Like most men I'm not sexually attracted to truly fat girls, so I guess I'd just be polite, muddle my way through and say I wasn't interested in anything further. I would say that I think my definition of fat is a lot more forgiving that most girl's too.
He's not going to embarrass you I don’t imagine and boys don't flake out on dates. Just go and see how it goes. You must be more confident, especially if you're fat.

You haven't misrepresented yourself or withheld info so it's not misleading on that score
Depends on what he's like as a person, if you have the kind of connection that he's looking for it very well might not matter. Only one way to find out though. That said, generally speaking, I think people that look after themselves kind of expect their respective partner to do the same.
I agree with Mankytoes...it's not really being honest hiding most of your body and I'm not going to lie, 13st 3 at 5'3 is pretty big. You're going to put him and yourself in an awkward position - why even let it get that far? Show him a full length pic and see what happens from there or it could become 'that story' he ends up telling his mates.
You can say they are "accurate", but it sounds like you've deliberately not shown him what you consider to be an important part of what you look like. I would think it would be better all round if he saw what you look like first- if there is a problem, surely you'd rather it came up before a face to face meeting? If you aren't being honest, I don't think you can complain if he doesn't react well.

Well that would be a bit of a weird request.

I have no idea what you look like, I don't really know enough to draw much from the numbers you posted. Like most men I'm not sexually attracted to truly fat girls, so I guess I'd just be polite, muddle my way through and say I wasn't interested in anything further. I would say that I think my definition of fat is a lot more forgiving that most girl's too.

THIS IS NOT ME
However probably like this? Maybe less around the upper arms and slightly less around the midsection.
http://www.mybodygallery.com/photos-8209-body-shape.htm?StartAt=78#.VD3KwPldWSo

Original post by scrotgrot
He's not going to embarrass you I don’t imagine and boys don't flake out on dates. Just go and see how it goes. You must be more confident, especially if you're fat.

You haven't misrepresented yourself or withheld info so it's not misleading on that score

How? He said he decides whether I'm pretty or not. I don't believe him.

Original post by Nidhogg_Rider
Depends on what he's like as a person, if you have the kind of connection that he's looking for it very well might not matter. Only one way to find out though. That said, generally speaking, I think people that look after themselves kind of expect their respective partner to do the same.

Yes I'm beginning to realise it's not such a good idea.
He said atm he's looking for "fun".
If he says no because of your weight, two things;

1) He's shallow and disgusting for judging you on your appearance and not your character
2) Remember, that he will have things about him that will scream out to you what imperfections he has!
Anonymous for obvious reasons.

So I've been talking to this guy recently and he has agreed that he wants to meet me. He's obviously seen my photos however they are only from the shoulders and up, no lower body etc. He's said I look "nice" but that's it.

He looks like he cares about his fitness, has a six pack, broad shoulders etc. I've seen him a few times around uni (from afar) and he does look quite health concious.

It's not like I'm a size 10 and fishing for compliments. I'm a size 16 and the largest girl in my flat and recently put weight on in uni, so feeling even larger.
I've just taken my measurements now and they are as follows (all in inches)

Bust: 43"
Waist: 37"
Hips: 45"
Upper thighs: 28"
Upper arms: 13.5"
Wrists: 7"

What would you do in this situation, when she is approaching you?
Would you leave and cancel the meeting?
Go on it, but never see her again?
Go on it, but let her down gently that she's too big for you / not your type however you want to word it?

I'm just worried he is going to run a mile when he sees me or just think, what mess have I got myself into, she may eat me.
Or think, hop on a treadmill fatty.
there was a video on this I seen on youtube!

anyways.ah well obviously you didnt lie to him..but you left out something that you knew could be a dealbreaker which is unfair.wouldnt blame him for acting bad because of it.essentially holding back info is a no no for me.

one of my mates has a stunning face but her body is the opposite.that said her personality balances the differences out.

for me personally im thin so I wouldnt date a fat girl.I would be put off for holding back info essential but if you were good craic Id stay for the date and let yeh down later.
Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk
If he says no because of your weight, two things;

1) He's shallow and disgusting for judging you on your appearance and not your character
2) Remember, that he will have things about him that will scream out to you what imperfections he has!

Please, enough with the dramatics :rolleyes:. People are entitled to preferences and some guys (and girls) don't find overweight people attractive.
THIS IS NOT ME
However probably like this? Maybe less around the upper arms and slightly less around the midsection.
http://www.mybodygallery.com/photos-8209-body-shape.htm?StartAt=78#.VD3KwPldWSo

I wouldn't say you're too big for me to consider then, just because he's particularly fit, that doesn't mean he's strict on that condition in a partner. I still think it would be better if you let him know what you look like, he might feel you've been a bit deceptive otherwise.
Original post by trustmeimlying1
there was a video on this I seen on youtube!

anyways.ah well obviously you didnt lie to him..but you left out something that you knew could be a dealbreaker which is unfair.wouldnt blame him for acting bad because of it.essentially holding back info is a no no for me.

one of my mates has a stunning face but her body is the opposite.that said her personality balances the differences out.

for me personally im thin so I wouldnt date a fat girl.I would be put off for holding back info essential but if you were good craic Id stay for the date and let yeh down later.

I've not been speaking to him for long, but he has topless photos of himself and I've seen a few he's sent to me, so he's obviously very confident with himself and that way he looks.

I wouldn't call myself stunning. Just average.

Original post by Blaq_widow
Please, enough with the dramatics :rolleyes:. People are entitled to preferences and some guys (and girls) don't find overweight people attractive.

I don't find myself attractive, so I can see how others don't either.

I wouldn't say you're too big for me to consider then, just because he's particularly fit, that doesn't mean he's strict on that condition in a partner. I still think it would be better if you let him know what you look like, he might feel you've been a bit deceptive otherwise.

How would I go about it? Be like how do you feel about fat girls? I'm not a thin girl do you mind? Here's a photo. Do you still want to meet?
He's not given a date yet so it's plenty of time to show him how fat I am and still see if he wants to meet.

How would I go about it? Be like how do you feel about fat girls? I'm not a thin girl do you mind? Here's a photo. Do you still want to meet?
He's not given a date yet so it's plenty of time to show him how fat I am and still see if he wants to meet.

No, I wouldn't say any of that, espeically not saying you're "fat", girls going on about their weight is rarely a good thing. Just take a picture of yourself and send it to him, saying "just going out" or whatever you'd normally say. Don't make a big deal out of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2alnVIj1Jf8

unfortunately this is the most likely reaction you'll receive.
Sorry but I you should be aiming lower, if you aren't all that yourself then you can't expect someone who takes care of himself to like you.

He should be a bit sharper when it comes to girls who only use face pics, that's a real red flag.
Reply 19
Original post by Jebedee
Sorry but I you should be aiming lower, if you aren't all that yourself then you can't expect someone who takes care of himself to like you.

Man, more of the same arrogant, shallow, status-obsessed, narcissistic crap, Jebedee.

Then again, coming from the guy who said fat women should be "harpooned", and that anyone with any kind of mental health issues should be discriminated against, I'm not surprised at this bucket of rancid diarrhoea.

My advice: Screw shallow people, find those with a better heart. It's not all about looks and status and society's opinions - and those who think it is are not worth it, frankly!
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending