The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Are there more than this? I remember the person who showed me round UY mentioned lots of quirky little societies.. I think she even mentioned a cheese society!
Nothing jumps out at me right now, but I do plan on joining alot of societies!
University of York
York
Reply 2
Douglas adam society
Science fiction and fantasy
York Student Cinema

are three that spring to mind, I'd also be interested in getting to work on york unis radio/tv stations.
I know there are a load of other societies that I'd looked at and would love to join, but I can't remember them off the top of my head :tongue:
Reply 3
Hmmm, possibilities are:

French Society
York Leaf
Student Life
Creative Writing
Dance?! (lol!)
Doug Society
Lit Society
Science Fiction and Fantasy? *shrug*
Yoga
Namaskar
Band Society
Cinema
Free Society

Ok I seem to be open to quite a lot of things, but yay this has made me excited because I didn't think I'd be able to think of societies I'd like to join! woooo! I'll only join some of these though.
Reply 4
Dont think ill be joining any of them..
Reply 5
kimoni
Are there more than this? I remember the person who showed me round UY mentioned lots of quirky little societies.. I think she even mentioned a cheese society!
Nothing jumps out at me right now, but I do plan on joining alot of societies!

yes - I remember the person who showed us round told us that to! Perhaps they were all briefed by the powers that be to lie to us about a so called cheese society. It's the only reason why I applied there quite honestly.
Reply 6
johncleaner
It's the only reason why I applied there quite honestly.

heh!
Quite scandalous. It better exist, otherwise i'm off to the college of cheddar, somerset for a degree in cheesemanship.
Reply 7
i dont think ill be joining any - i didnt even no there were all these societies!! is there a neighbours society? they had one at Nottingham, if not - who wants to join?!!! :smile: :smile: :smile:
ME! But I'd be head of the 'Get Rid of Lynne Scully, Summer Hoyland, Michelle Scully, Izzy Hoyland, Connor (add surname), Annoying Prick Who's Just Joined Neighbours, Toadie's beard, Cheesy Background Music' movement.
Reply 9
cymruambyth
ME! But I'd be head of the 'Get Rid of Lynne Scully, Summer Hoyland, Michelle Scully, Izzy Hoyland, Connor (add surname), Annoying Prick Who's Just Joined Neighbours, Toadie's beard, Cheesy Background Music' movement.

lol thats the essense of neighbours!!!
"give me one good reason why i should go home again" - thats a classic neighbours song!..slightly obsessed :?
i agree, the annoying prick whos just joined neighbours does need to leave but lori is back this week with conners love child!! WOOO so exciting!
What was she doin sleeping with the chiffingly ugly bastard that is Connor? Wales is this way, baby ......!

Other annoying Neighbours songs ...

"And I know .........."
"And now I know my fantasy's come true!"
"Just give me ONE good REASON"
Anything they play in the surgery
Anything that Karl "sings" (give the man a record contract ... I think not)

And don't get me started on the hospital. Notice how there's always a bed available and that it's never busy! Shouldn't it be the "Edinsbrough Reserved for Main Characters Hospital"!

Ok, hush now. It's starting.
Reply 11
cymruambyth
What was she doin sleeping with the chiffingly ugly bastard that is Connor? Wales is this way, baby ......!

Other annoying Neighbours songs ...

"And I know .........."
"And now I know my fantasy's come true!"
"Just give me ONE good REASON"
Anything they play in the surgery
Anything that Karl "sings" (give the man a record contract ... I think not)

And don't get me started on the hospital. Notice how there's always a bed available and that it's never busy! Shouldn't it be the "Edinsbrough Reserved for Main Characters Hospital"!

Ok, hush now. It's starting.

and of course don't leave out the sheer cheesy brilliance of that song they always play when something bad is about to happen, that begins with 'could have been the thief, could have been the leaf...'

I have to say Lynn is quite possibly the most irritating person in existence.
Reply 12
johncleaner
and of course don't leave out the sheer cheesy brilliance of that song they always play when something bad is about to happen, that begins with 'could have been the thief, could have been the leaf...'

I have to say Lynn is quite possibly the most irritating person in existence.

she constantly shakes and wears those cardigans that do up at the top doesnt she?!
does anyone remember when they had thay boy band human nature in it? haha so amazing! im loving the evil harold :biggrin:
Hey, I am the co-chair of the real ale soc at York Uni, just drumming up some support for October when we will be at the freshers' fair. So come along and join. We are trying to increase awareness and educate people about real ale, by basically going on pub crawls and drinking it. But, we also have plans for brewery tours, talks by brewers, tasting sessions, Jimbo's Gizibo etc.

Now, I know there are a few people out there who are thinking: I like pub crawls, but I don't like real ales! Well, we are pretty liberal bunch of people and we think if we can get people to come along with us to traditional pubs, then we might convince them to try real ales and maybe even like them! I know when I go out, I like to mix my drinks, a few largers here, a cider there, a real ale in the hand, a vodka in the other! So come along and bring your friends. We REALLY don't mind what you drink, as long as you at least try a bit of real ale, but mainly just come and have a good time!
Reply 14
georgeabird
Hey, I am the co-chair of the real ale soc at York Uni, just drumming up some support for October when we will be at the freshers' fair. So come along and join. We are trying to increase awareness and educate people about real ale, by basically going on pub crawls and drinking it. But, we also have plans for brewery tours, talks by brewers, tasting sessions, Jimbo's Gizibo etc.

Now, I know there are a few people out there who are thinking: I like pub crawls, but I don't like real ales! Well, we are pretty liberal bunch of people and we think if we can get people to come along with us to traditional pubs, then we might convince them to try real ales and maybe even like them! I know when I go out, I like to mix my drinks, a few largers here, a cider there, a real ale in the hand, a vodka in the other! So come along and bring your friends. We REALLY don't mind what you drink, as long as you at least try a bit of real ale, but mainly just come and have a good time!

Sounds like fun...oh wait :frown:
Reply 15
georgeabird

I'll be there with bells on :-)
Reply 16
georgeabird

hehe ill be there!!
Reply 17
Is joining societies the norm at university? Because I wasn't really planning on joining any.
Reply 18
Someguy
Is joining societies the norm at university? Because I wasn't really planning on joining any.

Depends if you're the out all night sleep all the next day knind of person, or if you want to um.. do something... ! you definitely don't have to join any, it's all free will :smile:
There's so many, and I think that list is old...
I have plans for joining a lot of them... looks very interesting, and is one of the main reasons I picked York.

Latest