The Student Room Group

Law offers 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mumof3ib
Does Durham take students through Adjustment?

Probably not for Law. Perchance other courses?

They have been in the past, though that was because they miscalculated how many students they should have taken. I think they've upped their game since then, and do not participate in either clearing or adjustment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lcdrz
I'm thinking of transferring courses in Warwick from straight law to European Law as I've realised I don't really want to do straight law and want to continue French-related stuff, I've already emailed them asking, but they haven't replied yet.. Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? And do unis generally let you switch courses within the department? Thanks :smile:

Yeah you should be fine, my brother was allowed to switch form philosophy to law (he's at one of the top 10 unis for law). So if you're already in the department I cant see them saying no! Good luck! :smile:

They have once I believe.
Original post by *Stefan*
They have been in the past, though that was because they miscalculated how many students they should have taken. I think they've upped their game since then, and do not participate in either clearing or adjustment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They were in clearing last year unless I am completely misremembering years (perhaps it was the year before if I am remembering wrongly). Caused quite a stir in the uni world as it was something nobody ever expected to see.
Original post by lcdrz
I'm thinking of transferring courses in Warwick from straight law to European Law as I've realised I don't really want to do straight law and want to continue French-related stuff, I've already emailed them asking, but they haven't replied yet.. Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? And do unis generally let you switch courses within the department? Thanks :smile:

Completely depends on if they have spaces is the general advice/position for these things generally. I would strongly suggest you ring their admissions department to chat about it with them on the phone- some things are best done by phone, and I suspect you'll have more chance if you try via this method as the human element and your clear motivation is far more influential than a generic email. If they are unwilling to change your offer now, ask if they will put you on a waiting list/consider you if any places come up once results are out in August. I know of some students at other unis who got a call inviting them to change to the course they wanted after results were out, but that course was never put into clearing.

No guarantees, but the above is how I would personally approach this.
Reply 2846
Original post by mizzsnazzter
Yeah you should be fine, my brother was allowed to switch form philosophy to law (he's at one of the top 10 unis for law). So if you're already in the department I cant see them saying no! Good luck! :smile:

Original post by jenkinsear
Completely depends on if they have spaces is the general advice/position for these things generally. I would strongly suggest you ring their admissions department to chat about it with them on the phone- some things are best done by phone, and I suspect you'll have more chance if you try via this method as the human element and your clear motivation is far more influential than a generic email. If they are unwilling to change your offer now, ask if they will put you on a waiting list/consider you if any places come up once results are out in August. I know of some students at other unis who got a call inviting them to change to the course they wanted after results were out, but that course was never put into clearing.

No guarantees, but the above is how I would personally approach this.

Thanks to you both for the advice, I think I'll call them on Monday as I don't think they're open on Sundays, would it be better to call the general UG admissions or Law admissions?
I know this is totally off topic but has anyone done the witch hunting exam yet? If so does anyone know the approach used for the B question?
Which one is better to firm, Warwick or exeter? I have offers from both and I can't decide.
Original post by THizzle97
Which one is better to firm, Warwick or exeter? I have offers from both and I can't decide.

Warwick, better reputation and, from what I've heard, a very nice campus

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shann_ng
I know this is totally off topic but has anyone done the witch hunting exam yet? If so does anyone know the approach used for the B question?

Wrong thread, pal.
Reply 2851
Did you end up firming Warwick? Law with Social Sciences there is my first choice too! :smile:

Yeah!! I've firmed Warwick for the same course and insured Birms!!:smile: Have you thought about accommodation?
Original post by tcole
Yeah!! I've firmed Warwick for the same course and insured Birms!!:smile: Have you thought about accommodation?

i was going to insure birmingham but decided on leeds! :smile: yeh im off for rootes what about you?:smile:
Reply 2853
i was going to insure birmingham but decided on leeds! :smile: yeh im off for rootes what about you?:smile:

I'm gonna go for Arthur Vick or jack martin :smile:
I'm an international student, I got a few offers but I am appearing for a few really competitive exams to get into the top law schools in India, I haven't chosen if it's India or the UK yet, because I want to practice in India after my course, and the Bar Council of India does recognise courses by the colleges I applied to, but I'm still not too sure.
I got offers from Durham, Warwick and City Uni. I'm still waiting for Birmingham to reply.
I'm thinking about firming Durham later, but I'm not too sure. Durham is ranked third and Durham seems amazing the course the sports and societies and basically everything about it. But a few people are stoked and cause I got into City which is the former inns of court school of law, and it's prestigious because it has produced a number of premiers and world leaders like Tony Blair, Nehru, Gandhi and Thatcher. But the standards have obviously changed and it's ranked 41st I think, I might be wrong. And I heard that Warwick's good but I don't know if it's as good as Durham. Idk about Birmingham and I haven't heard Birmingham yet so I guess I can worry about that a little later. I am so confused. I'm probably going to firm Durham but I don't know what to do for my insurance choice.
Original post by Ramya BT
I'm an international student, I got a few offers but I am appearing for a few really competitive exams to get into the top law schools in India, I haven't chosen if it's India or the UK yet, because I want to practice in India after my course, and the Bar Council of India does recognise courses by the colleges I applied to, but I'm still not too sure.
I got offers from Durham, Warwick and City Uni. I'm still waiting for Birmingham to reply.
I'm thinking about firming Durham later, but I'm not too sure. Durham is ranked third and Durham seems amazing the course the sports and societies and basically everything about it. But a few people are stoked and cause I got into City which is the former inns of court school of law, and it's prestigious because it has produced a number of premiers and world leaders like Tony Blair, Nehru, Gandhi and Thatcher. But the standards have obviously changed and it's ranked 41st I think, I might be wrong. And I heard that Warwick's good but I don't know if it's as good as Durham. Idk about Birmingham and I haven't heard Birmingham yet so I guess I can worry about that a little later. I am so confused. I'm probably going to firm Durham but I don't know what to do for my insurance choice.

hey man, you've pretty much made a good decision by firming durham which is indubitably one of the best unis to study law in the country. however regarding your insurance choice, I would presume durham, Warwick and Birmingham ask for pretty similar grades (A,A,A) so it would be wise to go for City which I believe require lower grades just to be on a safe side since that's what insuring is about. so go for City. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Idk if I posted this already, but I firmed Bristol and insured Manchester. Anyone with these two choices?
Original post by JAndrade1
Idk if I posted this already, but I firmed Bristol and insured Manchester. Anyone with these two choices?

No soz, you are alone in the universe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
No soz, you are alone in the universe.

Posted from TSR Mobile

LOL, I know. The loneliness is crippling
Original post by JAndrade1

Congratulations on your offers! I'm hoping to do law at bristol, can I ask what you got at GCSE please

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending