The Student Room Group

HELP!!! Need advice on A Level choices

So basically I want to go to LSE, UCL or Kings College to study law. I'm currently in the process of making my A-Level choices. I'm thinking:

English Lit.
Economics
Biology
Psychology
Government & Politics
History

Which ones out of the above would you recommend to combine for law (especially at such a prestigious university like LSE) and which subjects would you recommend I DON'T take as they could possibly be seen as 'soft' or 'unpreferred'. Yea IK LSE have a list of unpreferred subjects and none of the above are on there but I'm still worried I'm making the wrong decision.

Also if you have taken any of the above at A-Level could you tell me what they're like? I'm particularly worried that Biology & Psychology could be overwhelming...
I think I'd go for Lit., Economics, Biology and History.
I've read that Psychology is a soft subject (although that seems unfair to me), and I don't know much about Government & Politics, but generally I think it's better to avoid very narrow subjects as it narrows your future options. Also I suspect it would be looked down upon by unis but I don't know.
But whatever you go for, none of them are 'bad' subjects, so you should be fine. Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
I've said this on another thread but my uncle ( admissions officer at Warwick) told me when I was applying that there's a hierarchy of subjects, which applies for nearly every degree. Some degrees obviously have certain subject requirements but it goes roughly like this.

1) Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Further Maths
2) Biology, Economics, Languages (Spanish, Chinese, German, Latin), Politics, Geography, Computing
3) History, IT, Psychology, English, Business Studies, French, Geology
4) Other subjects like Art, Sociology, R.E etc

For Law (which by the way is very competitive, and there are very few jobs available in the this country at the moment, considering a Law degree in this country can only be practised here, you should maybe reconsider unless you know you can get a first, UCL or Kings etc) My uncle told me when I asked for my friends that a science, (F/Maths, Chem, Physics or Bio), a GOOD humanities and two other decent but not necessarily science subjects are what unis wants, grades providing. So roughly one from group 1, one/two from group 2, and one/two from group 3. I would suggest doing a language as well, because they will be very useful when applying for Law jobs in the future.

Quick Reply

Latest