The Student Room Group

Further maths + Which subjects to pick

Hi

I am i year 11 currently deciding on what a levels to pick so far I have decided on:
Maths
Physics
Chemistry or computer science
Economics or History.

I was also wondering would it be possible for me to take further maths in year 12 instead of maths assuming that I get an A/A* at GCSE level? As you can tell by the subjects ive picked, further maths will be useful

Scroll to see replies

I thought you had to take maths in order to also take further maths, ie it takes up two subjects, not just one.
I don't take chemistry but from what I've heard, its very difficult and time consuming (and might be a bit much alongside physics??), but if you really enjoy it hopefully that wouldn't be a problem.
Also go for History rather than Economics, then your subjects will be more varied which broadens your future options and makes things more interesting.
Well the only reason I am considering history is because my brother told me its better to take one subject like that because it shows employers and universitys that i am more "well rounded"
bump
Reply 4
I'm currently doing maths, further maths, physics and chemistry. If I could do computer science I would. I tried economics but I didn't enjoy it cause it's like essays and stuff I don't like.
Chemistry is fun. Everyone tells me its gonna be super hard, but so far its fine as long as you work hard.
If you wanna take 5... It will be a lot of work. I went for 4 in the end cause there's no real point of all the extra work. It doesn't even really help you in uni in anyway
Lastly, don't pick what others tell you. You have to be interested

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm fairly certain you can't just do Further Maths you need to do Maths and Further Maths. So I would suggest either doing 5 (wouldn't recommend) or replacing one or your subjects with Further Maths.

You could do:
Maths
Further Maths
Physics
Economics

or

Maths
Further Maths
Chemisty
Physics

Those combinations will have you set for pretty much every single maths related university course (I'm just assuming you want to do something maths related at uni because further maths).
Reply 6
My uncle ( admissions officer at Warwick) told me when I was applying that there's a hierarchy of subjects, which applies for nearly every degree. Some degrees obviously have certain subject requirements but it goes roughly like this.

1) Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Further Maths
2) Biology, Economics, Languages (Spanish, Chinese, German, Latin), Politics, Geography, Computing
3) History, IT, Psychology, English, Business Studies, French, Geology
4) Other subjects like Art, Sociology, R.E etc

Your subject choice looks very good, most degrees will be open to you if you do well
Without context (i.e. what degree/type of degree you intend to study) giving a good answer to this is hard.

That being said, unless you intend to apply for medicine (clearly not the case) or a humanity/art (seems unlikely) then you should know that for sciences universities don't care in the slightest about you being well rounded (at least in terms of A levels). Thus I think it is likely wise to pick Economics over History. Moreover, unless you intend to go into computer science I would advise Chemistry over Computing, since the Chemistry qualification is typically more respected, and is required/preferred for many more degrees than Computing is.

In order to take Further Maths you do - as others have said - have to also take maths. Assuming that you intend to get top grades in the A level (A*/A) I would advise not doing this unless you get an A* in GCSE maths, but of course you should feel free to do what you like. FM will be VERY helpful if applying for maths/physics/engineering at any top universities, and for these degrees will be seen as much more valuable than Chemistry or Economics.
Well I was either planning to do some form of engineering (likely chemical or mechanical) or getting a degree in computer science and do something down that route.
Reply 9
Original post by SidTheSloth1
Well I was either planning to do some form of engineering (likely chemical or mechanical) or getting a degree in computer science and do something down that route.

I do maths, further maths, physics and chemistry atm. I highly recommend you do the same as you are thinking chemical/mechanical engineering or computer science.

You do not need Computing A level to do CompSci degree, you only need maths, and for some unis physics/further maths. Obviously you need chemistry for chemical engineering, and every engineering course wants physics and further maths is beneficial.

I am thoroughly enjoying all my subjects - well that would be a lie because maths/physics aren't as exciting as I expected them to be, but will surely be better soon :P I cannot see myself any other combination!

You don't need to do a different subject. You can show employers you are well rounded in some other way. University wants passion and aptitude for their course - especially in sciences. Doing FM will show a strong aptitude for most quantitative subjects.
You can always pop in EPQ if you want to improve on your essay skills, and being a part of debate club or something will also show you're well rounded.
For Engineering, especially since you're considering Chemical Engineering, I think the best subject combination would be Maths, Further Maths, Physics, and Chemistry.

Original post by JakeJack
My uncle ( admissions officer at Warwick) told me when I was applying that there's a hierarchy of subjects, which applies for nearly every degree. Some degrees obviously have certain subject requirements but it goes roughly like this.

2) Biology, Economics, Languages (Spanish, Chinese, German, Latin), Politics, Geography, Computing

Your subject choice looks very good, most degrees will be open to you if you do well

That is a completely bizarre hierarchy.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Chief Wiggum

That is a completely bizarre hierarchy.

How so?
Original post by keromedic
How so?

Literally the whole thing is stupid. A few examples:

Why is French tier 3, but other languages tier 2?
Why is Politics tier 2, but History and English tier 3?
Why is RE tier 4, whenever it doesn't appear on published university "less useful subjects" lists?
Why is IT not in the bottom tier, when it certainly is on published university "less useful subjects" lists?
Reply 13
Original post by keromedic
How so?

Probably because French is below other MFL and History and English are in same level as Business etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Literally the whole thing is stupid. A few examples:

Why is French tier 3, but other languages tier 2?
Why is Politics tier 2, but History and English tier 3?
Why is RE tier 4, whenever it doesn't appear on published university "less useful subjects" lists?
Why is IT not in the bottom tier, when it certainly is on published university "less useful subjects" lists?

That's true. Thanks.
Original post by C0balt
Probably because French is below other MFL and History and English are in same level as Business etc

Yup. Should have noticed this. Feel silly now.
Don't take History just because it makes you look "more well rounded". Take Further Maths instead as you'll find it more useful to Engineering.
Well my mother told me that Its good to take an "essay based subject" is Economics considered one of those? Also im not sure if I will be able to because of the new courses, but I plan to drop economics in year 13 and take AS further maths

EDIT: I am planning on taking chem physics maths and further maths now, but in my school if you don't take an essay based subject they put you into this program for 10-12 weeks where you need to write essays, any advice on what to do? I have until next Friday to decide(also my grades are all A/A* in these subjects)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SidTheSloth1
Well my mother told me that Its good to take an "essay based subject" is Economics considered one of those? Also im not sure if I will be able to because of the new courses, but I plan to drop economics in year 13 and take AS further maths

EDIT: I am planning on taking chem physics maths and further maths now, but in my school if you don't take an essay based subject they put you into this program for 10-12 weeks where you need to write essays, any advice on what to do? I have until next Friday to decide(also my grades are all A/A* in these subjects)

Sounds like a weird policy from your school.

If you want to apply for Engineering, full A Level Further Maths would be better than AS Economics and AS Further Maths. What is Economics going to add to an Engineering application?
I was just considering Economics because I enjoy it as a subject (not that I dont like the others)
Original post by JakeJack

Well this is perhaps the stupidest thing I've ever seen on this site. I'm surprised your uncle has been able to keep his job with crap like this. Don't even rank the likes of History, French (why is this separated from other languages anyhow?) and English in the same tier as Business studies or Psychology. You need to re-evaluate your ranking of RS too, which itself is above those other two. Of course, 'hierarchies' of the sort are moot anyway, it all depends what you're going to go on to do. Please think before posting.

Quick Reply

Latest