The Student Room Group

Do girls keep their male friends as backup boyfriends?

Scroll to see replies

Emphasis on the word 'some'. Some girls do, some don't.
I know some girls that I know do do this and actually have in the past!
I don't. My male friends are exactly just that, friends. I wouldn't like to lose our friendship either :smile:
Some do, some don't. I don't, but I know someone that does.
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks. Yeah that's the best way I could some it up really.

What do you advise in my situation? Trouble is 3 of my friends are on my halls committee. I am seriously considering deleting their numbers and departing ways at the end of this year.

I feel confused now. I've been trying to meet other girls, and keep getting interference from one friend who seems to be hitting on me, but has a boyfriend already!?

so she's prepared to cheat then i wouldn't go near her
"Back-up boyfriends"?

:lolwut:
Original post by Arthraxia
I know some girls that I know do do this and actually have in the past!
I don't. My male friends are exactly just that, friends. I wouldn't like to lose our friendship either :smile:

You're a good friend!

Some do, some don't. I don't, but I know someone that does.

How to overcome it beng the guy? I mean in the examples I've shown. In one case, the friend (who has a bf) has prevented me from meeting other women by actively not inviting specific girls who might like me and also teasng me with her foot rubbing. In another case, an engaged woman didn't tell me she was engaged and flirted with me. I have ended up masturbating about her and getting ready to ask her out until I discovered from someone else her status.

Original post by Flyingaround
so she's prepared to cheat then i wouldn't go near her

Original post by Carpe Vinum
"Back-up boyfriends"?

:lolwut:

What do you think about the other example:What about this: I met an incredibly insanely pretty girl two months ago who has been flirting back to me, responding to texts and smiling and giggling with me. She has me smitten and probably knows it. I must admit I have been mustering the courage to ask her out. I have masturbated to her picture. Then I found out two days ago from someone else that she has been engaged for a year. There was no ring and she didn't tell me. I feel worried and guilty that I was flirting and masturbating over her. What to do?
Is this true for SOME girls?

Do they lead guys on to keep them as backups?

Do they cockblock you from meeting other girls?

Do they have hot friends and only introduce you to other people instead?

Do they love all the attention and prevent you from giving it to other girls?

Do they essentially jerk you off and keep you coming back for more?

Interesting discussion topic OP.

It does seem very unfair. I can imagine there are more males that want their female friends to be girlfriends than the other way around. It often seems, certainly in friendship circles I've seen that a hot girl would have several male friends who'd want the relationship with her, and she'd be able to make that happen at the drop of a hat should her relationship not work out.

The problem with your questioning OP is that relationship and friendship would be totally different feelings. And I think they are quite separate from one another. But if there is frustration in your post I understand it. It's annoying when you have a female friend and you dream about banging her, but the thought of you sexually makes her cringe, as....well, she's only ever seen you as a brother. That I feel, is one of lives unfair moments. I think, we have to understand as males that we are not entitled to anything, even though, there is a red blooded streak in us that wrongly sometimes thinks I should be rewarded for my niceness to this girl with passionate sex.

I'd be bluntly honest. Most new girls I meet on my uni course, the first thought would often be, this is a potential candidate for a relationship/sex, and I think a lot of blokes its the same. If I find I fancy them, but they don't reciprocate I'd sort of break away from that. Generally speaking, most, if not all of my close female friends are ones I don't fancy in anyway, and I prefer it that way.
(edited 9 years ago)
You're a good friend!

How to overcome it beng the guy? I mean in the examples I've shown. In one case, the friend (who has a bf) has prevented me from meeting other women by actively not inviting specific girls who might like me and also teasng me with her foot rubbing. In another case, an engaged woman didn't tell me she was engaged and flirted with me. I have ended up masturbating about her and getting ready to ask her out until I discovered from someone else her status.

What do you think about the other example:What about this: I met an incredibly insanely pretty girl two months ago who has been flirting back to me, responding to texts and smiling and giggling with me. She has me smitten and probably knows it. I must admit I have been mustering the courage to ask her out. I have masturbated to her picture. Then I found out two days ago from someone else that she has been engaged for a year. There was no ring and she didn't tell me. I feel worried and guilty that I was flirting and masturbating over her. What to do?

Nothing wrong with the sturbation :smile: you should find out from someone else if she's engaged
If any girl has "back up boyfriends" then I'd avoid like the plague. So immature and has no self value.

If they are that desperate for meaning and validation that they have back up boyfriends just incase they lose their current one (which would make them lose all purpose and meaning) then they are damaged goods.

Jesus women learn some self respect and be happy with yourself.
Original post by WeedCanKill

Jesus women learn some self respect and be happy with yourself.

it appears you have taken his question as confirmation this is a widespread thing among women

(it really isn't)
Nothing wrong with the sturbation :smile: you should find out from someone else if she's engaged

Phew. Yeah I mean I feel guilty because I was sturbating to her quite a bit. And I still am. I have this dream about ming on her her face :smile:

She really did flirt back and still talks to me, but has never mentioned being taken. I think she is engaged by the sounds of it. A few people have said. What do you reckon this means?

Is it all right to keep sturbating to her?

Original post by WeedCanKill
If any girl has "back up boyfriends" then I'd avoid like the plague. So immature and has no self value.

If they are that desperate for meaning and validation .

Yeah fair point. I think they are seeking attention. Seems unfair on the guy.
Original post by Autumnsong
it appears you have taken his question as confirmation this is a widespread thing among women

(it really isn't)

I agree, it's not every girl. Only some. SOME.

What do you think about this example:I met an incredibly insanely pretty girl two months ago who has been flirting back to me, responding to texts and smiling and giggling with me. She has me smitten and probably knows it. I must admit I have been mustering the courage to ask her out. I have masturbated to her picture. Then I found out two days ago from someone else that she has been engaged for a year. There was no ring and she didn't tell me. I feel worried and guilty that I was flirting and masturbating over her. What to do?
I agree, it's not every girl. Only some. SOME.

What do you think about this example:I met an incredibly insanely pretty girl two months ago who has been flirting back to me, responding to texts and smiling and giggling with me. She has me smitten and probably knows it. I must admit I have been mustering the courage to ask her out. I have masturbated to her picture. Then I found out two days ago from someone else that she has been engaged for a year. There was no ring and she didn't tell me. I feel worried and guilty that I was flirting and masturbating over her. What to do?

could you give some examples of her "flirting"? it's a pretty flimsy word; I'm sure the definition varies from person to person. as for the rest of her behaviour: seems standard between friends. perhaps she's got a naturally flirtatious disposition?

and like others have said, don't sweat about the masturbation thing. pretty sure 99% of us have got off to worse than that!
could you give some examples of her "flirting"? it's a pretty flimsy word; I'm sure the definition varies from person to person. as for the rest of her behaviour: seems standard between friends. perhaps she's got a naturally flirtatious disposition?

and like others have said, don't sweat about the masturbation thing. pretty sure 99% of us have got off to worse than that!

Sure. Flirting as in, she doesn't give her number out to everyone. I know loads of guys on her course, at her work who she hasn't given her number to, not even to some girls. She said let's catch up over coffee sometime. Now I agree that could be friendly, and to be fair, when I have suggested it, she hasn't replied to that text. But she still and has always had this glowing smile and waves her hair and stuff like that when she sees me. I mean she doesn't give me the cold shoulder face to face. I haven't seen her laugh or giggle like that with other guys. However, she recently stopped replying to texts. But she still laughs at my not so funny jokes and stuff when I see her briefly on the corridor.

I was too nervous to ask her out and was getting ready for it. This has thrown me off though. I'm now worried that other girls who appear interested in me are already taken/engaged/married!

Is the masturbation thing okay? I mean earlier I didn't know she was taken, else I wouldn't have come on so strong. Thing is, I must admit I still enjoy masturbating to her picture. Is this all right?
Original post by flatmatetrouble
You are obviously only friends/ friendly with this girl because of the promise of sex.

Also stop being friends with this girl if you feel like she is being inappropriate, or better yet have an open and honest conversation with her and hopefully you can sort it out and remain friends.

Look, I am not trying to have sex with my friend. She is blocking me from meeting one of her friends who I would like to get to know and maybe ask out! After all I have been told she has similar interests and would be a good match by two other people and I took to her profile immediately.

I think I might stop being friends with this girl since she seems to be inappropriately touching me to get my mind thinking about her instead. I don't think a conversation would help since she seems to be so dismissive of this crush girl who is apparently very popular.

I understand some guys are using people, but please understand in this situation, I am not the bad guy here, she is!! Advice?

Original post by arson_fire
Some do, yes. But they`re pretty easy to spot as they are often narcissists with the usual attention seeking princess mentality.

Yes, that description fits my female friend perfectly. She has the attention seeking gene multiplied I think. She seems to butt into conversations I have with any girl at halls whenever she can. Despite the fact she has a boyfriend, she seems to put her feet on my crotch or touch me in front of other women. She also seems adamant that another popular girl on her course isn't introduced or given a chance to meet me or vice versa.

AKA she doesn't want the other girl getting more attention than me. Screw my happiness in her opinion, so long as she gets attention!

You're completely in the opposite of the op. Some people in life are nice to others because they have to be like at work which i don't like as i'm nice to people not to create some sort of facade.
But it is true because people i've said hello to or had on facebook delete me after my job has finished, quite two faced. it depends though, probably in college if you're friends then it's friends for real but girls have less of an attachment and could easily delete someone from facebook because they've moved on to uni. There are some real girls who value friendships though.

Exactly. I am genuinely being nice to my friends and trying to just say hello to this new girl. Don't see why, in order to protect their own level of attention from others, that my female friend would block me from being in the same room as another attractive girl on her course who people seem to warm to.

Original post by cole-slaw
No more than guys keep their female friends as backup girlfriends.

Think it's more the other way round tbh. More girls seem to keep guys hanging than other way round. Guy or girl, it's plain wrong. Especially to block that person deliberately from happiness, when that person thinks that you are both just friends. Why would you secretly block them from seeing someone else?

Original post by SophiaLDN
No.

Are you the same guy who made that thread on why your female friends don't introduce you to their attractive friends? You seem pretty entitled. I wouldn't even introduce you to my cat let alone a friend.

I am not entitled! Why would a girl with a boyfriend deliberately block her male friend who views her as a friend from meeting a girl on her own course? If she doesn't like this girl getting attention from other people because it takes away from her own, isn't that girl selfish? How is this my fault? I'm not demanding an arranged marriage from my friend, just some help to be at the same party/room as my crush. I would like to speak to my crush and get to know her with view to potentially asking her out. My friend seems to actively block it and also flirt with me. She interupts me talking to other girls at halls as well. She seems to think I am her personal property to tease at will and her pleasure.

Who is entitled out of us? Please explain!

She was laughing at my lines/jokes and playing with her hair. She also suggested we grab a coffee. Yeah thing is I really enjoyed masturbating to her, because I fancied her! Feel a little guilty. What do you think?

Also another example. One of my female friends, who has a long distance bf, suddenly sat next to me and rested her bare feet right on top of my crotch the other day. Literally, not on my upped leg or anything, but right above. Does this mean anything? We were playing cards in a group. I felt very nervous because she was making me horny. Now I have started to fantasise about this as well! What do you think?
Is this true for SOME girls?

Do they lead guys on to keep them as backups?

Do they cockblock you from meeting other girls?

Do they have hot friends and only introduce you to other people instead?

Do they love all the attention and prevent you from giving it to other girls?

Do they essentially jerk you off and keep you coming back for more?

If she is obsessed and crazy then sure
Women do it all the time any1 who says otherwise is chattin BS
Original post by Madd Taurusette
Thanks for the use of "Some." :wink: These all apply to insecure girls who are thirsty for a guy. So they string them along. Kind of like Carli from the Inbetweeners from the first episode to the film. She just arsed poor Simon around for her personal titillation and another number to make her look popular if she has a list of guys who like her :rolleyes: Girls and women like this exist, they find something special in organising the men they use. "This guy for this, that guy for that." And then this kind of ... "female"... gets all territorial over a guy, especially one they're not even with sometimes. A normal female does not engage in this thirsty activity.

As for as the one in bold, if you're not what they think the hot friends want, they'll steer you clear so as not to mock you by introducing you or by not bringing down their cred I guess by bringing a subpar bloke over to their fit mates.

I have known quite a few Carli DiMarcos in my time. They're the rough equivalent of the douchey guy who seems to get all the girls but treats them like ****.
Original post by francois
Women do it all the time any1 who says otherwise is chattin BS

You tell em boss, lucky for me and yew, were bad boy eyetaliens so we get all the chicks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending