The Student Room Group

Non-GB driving licence - application in person?

I've got a non-GB, non-EU driving licence issued by one of the designated countries. This allows me to exchange said licence for a full GB one. I am staying in the UK on a student visa, and spend more than 185 days in a calendar year in the UK. I know I have to send in my original passport to exchange the licence, but I really cannot afford the DVLA losing it. Is there a way for me to do this in person? I would even travel to Swansea if I have to. Also, does anyone know why they won't return my foreign licence at all?

I know it's a handful, but I'd be really grateful if you could help me with the questions!
Original post by bbrain
I've got a non-GB, non-EU driving licence issued by one of the designated countries. This allows me to exchange said licence for a full GB one. I am staying in the UK on a student visa, and spend more than 185 days in a calendar year in the UK. I know I have to send in my original passport to exchange the licence, but I really cannot afford the DVLA losing it. Is there a way for me to do this in person? I would even travel to Swansea if I have to. Also, does anyone know why they won't return my foreign licence at all?

I know it's a handful, but I'd be really grateful if you could help me with the questions!

Just send it via special delivery with insurance which would cover the cost of it being lost.
Reply 2
Original post by Iqbal007
Just send it via special delivery with insurance which would cover the cost of it being lost.

It's not so much the cost I'm worried about, but more the effort and hassle required to re-obtain my passport and student visa.
Reply 3
Is there a way to do it in person at all?
Original post by bbrain
It's not so much the cost I'm worried about, but more the effort and hassle required to re-obtain my passport and student visa.

Honestly I think you should trust them, send by special delivery and they'll send it back accordingly. They are trustworthy enough to do so.
Also be aware you need to be already living in the UK at a permanent address for at least 185 days.

"You can drive in Great Britain for 12 months if you’ve got a non-European Union (EU) driving licence or international driving permit
If your driving licence is from a ‘designated country’ you can then apply to exchange it for a GB licence up to 5 years after becoming a GB resident."

I dont really see any other way to do this, because they simply won't accept you if you go to their office, theres a order process.

Quick Reply

Latest