The Student Room Group

What are university interviews like?

I was just wondering what to expect at a university interview.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by jrh96
I know this sounds ridiculous but I'm genuinely contemplating applying for an alternative course that doesn't require an interview just because I'm panicking about it so much... please help!:eek::frown:

That is ridiculous. One day you're probably going to have to get a job, so you can't escape interviews forever. The more you do the better it will get, but don't throw away what you want to do on something so small.

The main purpose of a lot of interviews is basically to assess whether you're right for the course. It's also often a two way thing, so use it as an opportunity to find out about their expectations of you when you're there. Whatever the day is like, i'd be surprised if there wasn't at least 10-15 minutes in a one-on-one situation, so you can discuss things.

I have no idea about your course, but it wouldn't surprise me if it involved some sort of role play or 'what would you do in X situation' because your interpersonal skills are going to be a large part of your career. Alongside the obvious: why do you want to do the course? You can e-mail them to ask for more information, and they will probably outline the day/morning/afternoon for you - and possibly also inform/reassure you as to how formal/informal it is. It might help calm your nerves if you know a bit more about what to expect :smile: you can then speak to your careers department and organise a mock interview, if you wanted a flavour of things.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending