The Student Room Group

University of Law - Bristol

Hiya,
I was just wondering whether anyone has attended/attends the University of Law in Bristol. I am thinking about putting this down as a choice on my UCAS form but i cannot find a lot of information about it on the internet. Just wondering whether it's a repitable university for law?
Reply 1
Original post by hanahgunter
Hiya,
I was just wondering whether anyone has attended/attends the University of Law in Bristol. I am thinking about putting this down as a choice on my UCAS form but i cannot find a lot of information about it on the internet. Just wondering whether it's a repitable university for law?

From what i've heard, Bristol is great for law. They came 11th in the latest league tables for Law in the UK:
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Law
Reply 2
It's not that University, it's a university actually called University of Law, they have 7 different campuses throughout the UK
The University of Law has a very high reputation and this is applicable to all campuses, including Bristol. I think that their LLB is
very innovative so you might want to consider them as a very valuable option (and in many cases a better option than a traditional University that would have less emphasis in law).
Reply 4
Thank you! They got modular exams instead of annual exams which I feel is better for me, if not everyone! I think it's going to be my first choice 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello Hanah,
you are welcome. I agree that the modular exams are very helpful. If you are looking for a career in law the University of Law will also have excellent connection with several law firms and, being entirely dedicated to law, they really have a great network. I think that for law it is a top choice !
Thank you! They got modular exams instead of annual exams which I feel is better for me, if not everyone! I think it's going to be my first choice 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unless you have very poor anticipated A levels this will be a mistake.
Reply 7
My top 2 choices are cardiff and the university of law, cardiff I feel was concerned with the academic behind law but not actually how to apply it to working life. I'm predicted AAB So it's not exactly poor, but I applied for Bristol and got declined as they want A*/A/B or AAA, so these are the 2 choices I'm left with that I actually would like to go to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
If you don't mind me asking, why would it be a poor choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you don't mind me asking, why would it be a poor choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You will certainly not get a "proper" university experience at the College of Law (as was)

The College of Law has gained its reputation from vocational courses over many years. It has only recently started teaching the LLB. Give that probably about half the profession have studied there at one time or another, any potential recruiter will know that it is a sausage factory that will take anyone just about literate with a cheque book.

Although no-one cares quite as much about university choice as the denizens of TSR law firms do prefer people who have been to "good" universities. The CoL would not be regarded as a "good" university for these purposes.

In no rational world should anyone throw up the chance of going to Cardiff to go the CoL. If you were looking at Bolton or Gloucester then maybe. I certainly would take UWE over the CoL.

You will not find out anything about law in real life from attending the CoL. You will simply undertake a more higher structured exercise in textbook rote learning than at most universities.
(edited 9 years ago)
I disagree with Nulli Tertius. The University of Law as a very good reputation and has much better structured material than traditional Universities. Their LLB is 100% career oriented and everything, including the structure/schedule related to the exams has been designed with your success in mind.

I think it would be very risky to take UWE over the University of Law. I disagree with "in no rational would should anyone throw up the chance of going to Cardiff over the CoL" here are some facts http://www.solicitorsjournal.com/news/public/care/university-was-unfair-bvc-student-over-exam-results-high-court-rules

Hanah, you obviously should evaluate all pro and cons for yourself but the University of Law would be a strong choice - pretty much all the most prestigious law firms send students to the University of Law so it would be regarded as a very good institution. Would Cardiff be a good option too ? Possibly but I don't see it as largely superior. It also depends if you intend to quality as a solicitor or a barrister after law school.

If you do the University of law would offer a more comprehensive approach.

At any rate you should visit/talk to both Universities. Ask as many questions as you can and then you can make your decision.
Original post by christianlaw
I disagree with Nulli Tertius. The University of Law as a very good reputation and has much better structured material than traditional Universities. Their LLB is 100% career oriented and everything, including the structure/schedule related to the exams has been designed with your success in mind.

I think it would be very risky to take UWE over the University of Law. I disagree with "in no rational would should anyone throw up the chance of going to Cardiff over the CoL" here are some facts http://www.solicitorsjournal.com/news/public/care/university-was-unfair-bvc-student-over-exam-results-high-court-rules

Hanah, you obviously should evaluate all pro and cons for yourself but the University of Law would be a strong choice - pretty much all the most prestigious law firms send students to the University of Law so it would be regarded as a very good institution. Would Cardiff be a good option too ? Possibly but I don't see it as largely superior. It also depends if you intend to quality as a solicitor or a barrister after law school.

If you do the University of law would offer a more comprehensive approach.

At any rate you should visit/talk to both Universities. Ask as many questions as you can and then you can make your decision.

For their professional courses not their LLB.

I think you had better declare your hand. I think you are a student representative for the University of Law. Please confirm.

I am a partner in a substantial provincial firm; an Oxford graduate with PG qualifications from two other universities (neither of them Cardiff). I also did my Law Society Finals (predecessor to the Legal Practice Course) at the College of Law. We reglarly hire people who do their LPC at the CoL. We have not yet taken a CoL LLB graduate.
Nulli,
I am not a student representative of the University of Law. I am however a student (GDL) and I had the opportunity to compare their system and methods with other traditional Universities. Their LLB is fairly new so there is nothing surprising in the fact that your firm didn't yet take any student with a UoL LLB.

As you rightly confirmed all law firms regularly hire University of Law graduates (GDL, LPC) so I don't see why the same great reputation wouldn't follow them on the LLB. The material at the UoL is second to none. In many other Universities (no first hand experience with Cardiff) it is much more dicey to revise as not all the course is routed toward being successful (especially in your exam).

I would certainly not say the an LLB from the University of Law would be better than a BA from Oxford, Cambridge or Durham for instance but I am confident that it would be better rated by employer than any of the new universities or former polytechnics.

More importantly, I think that prospective students should also consider the programme where they are more likely to be successful not just in the LLB but in their LPC (or BPTC) and in securing the relevant TC/Pupillage. The University of Law has a very strong network vs. other institutions where law is just a small part of their activities. All their resources are committed to law and the LLB offer is very different (accelerated options, open book exams in year 3, workshops etc.).

I don't think that having the University of Law as first choice would be a mistake. Cardiff could be a good option too but perhaps more rigid and academically oriented. I was very surprised about the Cardiff story that I pasted in my previous post and, personally, it doesn't reassure me at all.

Obviously much depends on where the candidate wants to live and work and many other variables.

I also don't understand why, if you rightly see UoLaw LPC and GDL graduates in a good light you would have a different view for LLB graduates.

I also don't understand why, if you rightly see UoLaw LPC and GDL graduates in a good light you would have a different view for LLB graduates.

There is a line that was used in my day at the CoL that encapsulates the mentality of the place "outside the scope of the core material"; that there is a finite body of knowledge to be learned and regurgitated. You will say that you know the arguments on each side of any particular legal controversy but you have learned those arguments parrot fashion. You have developed those arguments from first principles.

GDL students always have less law than LLB graduates and of necessity they have to be forced through a rote learning process but supposedly they have been taught to think more deeply in their first degrees.

The CoL is now producing law graduates who have never had to think and find out for themselves beyond a very regimented regime.

Lawyers in practice are looking for arguments to advance their client's position. It is a creative process and that is the case whether one is doing contentious or non-contentious work. If your client is selling a property with a defect in title, he doesn't want to be told that you are awfully sorry, there is a defect in title. He wants a strategy by which the title can be improved or the property sold.

The CoL method of teaching does nothing to develop this.

Moreover there is the entirely separate point that the CoL does not have a normal university experience. For someone who has done a three year degree, so what? But to an 18 year old that is effectively another three years in school.
Nulli,
you raise some valid points but I think that your view of the University of Law is based on the older "College of Law" (I notice that you keep referring to it with the previous name which is fine but it reflects your old fashion view of the College of Law vs. what they do today as a University).

As a clear example the module "law in action", a portfolio that accounts for 26% of the final LLB qualification (see http://www.law.ac.uk/undergraduate/llb-hons-law-degree-3-year/ degree qualification) does pretty much what you describe: help the students to think outside the box and to solutions and not just black letter law.

Parrot fashion learning is not really applicable even in a GLD. Much of the exams are problems (and yes, may be even a defect title scenario) that you need to solve so just memorising without understanding won't help you to pass - not just at the University of Law but everywhere.

The LLB is a new programme seems to offer a very normal university experience (see some of their current students at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsq_RsntllE&list=PLIr_gf3NNn2gEHtR9d8nHa1kefULwYyXf&index=2) so I don't think that you can just disqualify them for being more commercially oriented and practical.

Obviously their programme might be different than a more traditional and historic University like the one you attended or Cardiff. There will be less jurisprudence (or none) or philosophy of law and more "how to solve a legal problem" and practical based learning. This is exactly my point.

"The CoL is now producing law graduates who have never had to think and find out for themselves beyond a very regimented regime."
Given that you have previously confirmed that you didn't hire/were not in touch with UoL LLB graduates I think that this statement is just speculative and not based on any evidence or first-hand experience.

I think that you would need a bit more research before releasing these statements in a public forum e.g. review the curriculum/course structure and then you can say what is missing vs. Cardiff, UWE or any other option.

I don't think that I could possibly know better than you which place would be best but I somehow gather the feeling that much of your opinions are based on what the College of Law was 10+ years ago and not what the University of Law LLB is today.

As a general rule I think that it is best to review previous students experience (e.g. through the youtube channel - unfortunately many traditional Universities do not release similar videos) and by visiting in person the two-three institutions in question. An in-depth review of the curriculum and assessment methods is also very important to determine where a student is more likely to be successful. As you well know a lower classification in a more traditional university (which is not necessary better) would remain as a big negative for career prospectives.

I think that the University of Law relations with law firms helped them in designing a programme that is more practical and current to what the employers want - and not what academia dictates or feel that is better.

Last but not list the majority of faculty members at the University of Law are practitioners. I see this as a big plas.
It might not be the case in many traditional Universities that tend to be more academic oriented.
Nulli,
you raise some valid points but I think that your view of the University of Law is based on the older "College of Law" (I notice that you keep referring to it with the previous name which is fine but it reflects your old fashion view of the College of Law vs. what they do today as a University).

As a clear example the module "law in action", a portfolio that accounts for 26% of the final LLB qualification (see http://www.law.ac.uk/undergraduate/llb-hons-law-degree-3-year/ degree qualification) does pretty much what you describe: help the students to think outside the box and to solutions and not just black letter law.

Parrot fashion learning is not really applicable even in a GLD. Much of the exams are problems (and yes, may be even a defect title scenario) that you need to solve so just memorising without understanding won't help you to pass - not just at the University of Law but everywhere.

The LLB is a new programme seems to offer a very normal university experience (see some of their current students at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsq_RsntllE&list=PLIr_gf3NNn2gEHtR9d8nHa1kefULwYyXf&index=2) so I don't think that you can just disqualify them for being more commercially oriented and practical.

Obviously their programme might be different than a more traditional and historic University like the one you attended or Cardiff. There will be less jurisprudence (or none) or philosophy of law and more "how to solve a legal problem" and practical based learning. This is exactly my point.

"The CoL is now producing law graduates who have never had to think and find out for themselves beyond a very regimented regime."
Given that you have previously confirmed that you didn't hire/were not in touch with UoL LLB graduates I think that this statement is just speculative and not based on any evidence or first-hand experience.

I think that you would need a bit more research before releasing these statements in a public forum e.g. review the curriculum/course structure and then you can say what is missing vs. Cardiff, UWE or any other option.

I don't think that I could possibly know better than you which place would be best but I somehow gather the feeling that much of your opinions are based on what the College of Law was 10+ years ago and not what the University of Law LLB is today.

As a general rule I think that it is best to review previous students experience (e.g. through the youtube channel - unfortunately many traditional Universities do not release similar videos) and by visiting in person the two-three institutions in question. An in-depth review of the curriculum and assessment methods is also very important to determine where a student is more likely to be successful. As you well know a lower classification in a more traditional university (which is not necessary better) would remain as a big negative for career prospectives.

I think that the University of Law relations with law firms helped them in designing a programme that is more practical and current to what the employers want - and not what academia dictates or feel that is better.

Last but not list the majority of faculty members at the University of Law are practitioners. I see this as a big plas.
It might not be the case in many traditional Universities that tend to be more academic oriented.

You have my opinion. You have every right to disagree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending