The Student Room Group

Objectification of women!!!

Unless you live on a different planet or a particularly isolated basement then it'd be hard to miss the flurry of feminist news, especially around he for she and other such topics. Now one thing that is always a hot topic for feminists is the objectification of women. In short, society is filled with images that make women little more than objects, generally sexually objectified. This is hard to argue against as in places like the US, well this exists:

Because obviously the thing missing from a coffee or crap food is T&A. :rolleyes:

Either way, people arguing that women are openly objectified are right, and it is a problem as it's using a person for nothing more than the way they look in a wholly undignified way. However, here's the controversial point. These obvious contenders for misogynistic wet-dream are openly argued about, but the same people who argue about most likely do so with a heap full of contradiction. If society wants men and women to be equal and treated as people rather than an interchangeable means to an end then when will society start dealing with this:

How many people would argue that objectification is bad, yet go out aiming to treat someone as a jizz rag? Interchangable? Check. Means to an end? Check. No need for concern about their feelings and experiences? Check.

Until this is looked at, he for she etc will never, ever work because it's not dealing with the most common place inequalities found in society. :cool:

Scroll to see replies

People still care about this?
Those chicken wings look far tastier than the women
uh?
Reply 4
stole mah thread OP :cool:
Reply 5
Original post by Foo.mp3
Male:female attraction will always be premised on replication value, and female:male on security value. You can "look at" it all you like - short of putting something in the water you won't change it. Congrats, you've just made a convincing case for why a certain measure of 'objectification' is fairly unavoidable :rolleyes:

Btw, I myself am against the objectification of women. Oh and I've had one or two ONS's in the past, but never once did I treat the girl as an object :borat:

dude, how much research into PUAs and the kind did you do in your earlier years :s-smilie:
Calm yo' tits.
What about girls objectifying boy band members big boi?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Black Cat
Those chicken wings look far tastier than the women

Lolwut? Get your eyes checked, brah. The one in the middle looks pretty tasty to me!
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
Lolwut? Get your eyes checked, brah. The one in the middle looks pretty tasty to me!

Getting personal there big boiiii???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not sure if srs
Either way, I don't see anything wrong with 'objectifying' people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Foo.mp3
I'm a professional dating coach/relationship counsellor, and have always been interested in learning about different perspectives on interpersonal/psychological stuff, so yes, I've done my homework. I take the best bits from here there and everywhere. Fair to say that old school game/PUA concepts are mostly bull**** but mystery is a smart guy who had some powerful insights

What drives men, and women, on a primitive level, is the bottom line in understanding human nature, behaviour, and interactions. Naturally there's more to it but a lot of that is just superficial/social imprinting

cool, thanks for the insight :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by MattyR2895
Not sure if srs
Either way, I don't see anything wrong with 'objectifying' people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because it's treating people in a morally deplorable way? As soon as you start objectifying people, it opens a door that allows genocide, ethnic cleansing and so on.
Reply 13
Original post by Foo.mp3
Male:female attraction will always be premised on replication value, and female:male on security value. You can "look at" it all you like - short of putting something in the water you won't change it. Congrats, you've just made a convincing case for why a certain measure of 'objectification' is fairly unavoidable :rolleyes:

Btw, I myself am against the objectification of women. Oh and I've had one or two ONS's in the past, but never once did I treat the girl as an object :borat:

To be fair I think a few ONS's are fine as it's more to do with exploring, excitement etc so there is personal development from it, whereas when it's done very occasionally, that's when I think it's used much more as a means to an end with little to no regard to the person picked up. Either way, I do think it's something that to some degree can't be changed, but like obesity, it's about moderation, and that's the conversation that needs to be had.
Original post by geoking
Because it's treating people in a morally deplorable way? As soon as you start objectifying people, it opens a door that allows genocide, ethnic cleansing and so on.

What are you talking about? Who is treating them morally deplorably? The women want to look a certain way that men find attractive, and men enjoy looking at them. What's wrong with that?
Reply 15
Original post by MattyR2895
What are you talking about? Who is treating them morally deplorably? The women want to look a certain way that men find attractive, and men enjoy looking at them. What's wrong with that?

So you're just going to ignore the whole topic of objectification and pretend it's okay because....? And I'm talking about one night stands if you had bothered to read the thread :rolleyes:
Done the sexual objectification of males and females in Media Studies..
Oh, and females live in a patriarchal society, so males are dominant while females are perceived to be inferior to them; males are expected to control the females.
So, yeah.
Btw I'm against this idea myself, but I had learnt this from Media.
Okay, OP?
Original post by inachigeek21
Done the sexual objectification of males and females in Media Studies..
Oh, and females live in a patriarchal society, so males are dominant while females are perceived to be inferior to them; males are expected to control the females.
So, yeah.
Btw I'm against this idea myself, but I had learnt this from Media.
Okay, OP?

But girls objectify dudes just as much with boy bands and stuff

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by geoking

Well those women seem quite happy with being sexually objectified.
Original post by Madd Taurusette
Well those women seem quite happy with being sexually objectified.

Plot twist they aren't actually women they are robots sent from spaceship jupiter!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending