The Student Room Group

Who do you think should have more opportunities for a job, unemployed or students?

I mean this in the sense of that you have someone unemployed over a year maybe even 4 or 5 or more years who wants to work, and students who want money for luxuries(or pushing it their parents refuse to top up their loans)

Whom do you think should have a better chance?

I ask this because I know people who want to work but cant as well as students just wanting booze money(quite literally) often being far better off than someone on benefits before working due to disposible income, student discounts etc.

If someone who is desperate to get off benefits is turned down for a student who probably wont be in the position long term what difference does that make to employment?
Don't see why an employer would rather hire a student with other commitments and with almost infinite bargaining power in the low-end job market. I think it would really only suit businesses who are themselves in the student ghetto. Your friends might do better looking in other areas of town or for different types of positions than retail.

I don’t mind government bungs being paid to corporations in return for favouring the long-term unemployed, or even a stepped minimum wage as works well for teenagers, but only for a proper paid position open to other applicants, no workfare slavery.
Reply 2
Original post by scrotgrot
Don't see why an employer would rather hire a student with other commitments and with almost infinite bargaining power in the low-end job market. I think it would really only suit businesses who are themselves in the student ghetto. Your friends might do better looking in other areas of town or for different types of positions than retail.

I don’t mind government bungs being paid to corporations in return for favouring the long-term unemployed, or even a stepped minimum wage as works well for teenagers, but only for a proper paid position open to other applicants, no workfare slavery.

I have heard many reasons, one that students are younger so get paid less as many are under 21, also they dont know their rights as much so dont complain, also things like apprentices are a con for young people, I have seen ones for under 19s pay like £2 a hour.

Another thing I have heard is that employers often ignore applications from the unemployed thinking they have zero work ethic and being a student means you are hard working, I have heard from many people and even first hand experienced employers dumping unread applications in the bin from unemployed plus when I was working I applied for a few other jobs as I didnt have enough hours(this was before the recession though) I got interviews with EVERY employer despite when I was unemployed being lucky to get 1 in 10 interviews.

I have also heard that employers prefer students as they hope once the person graduates they stay with the company
Original post by drbluebox
I have heard many reasons, one that students are younger so get paid less as many are under 21, also they dont know their rights as much so dont complain, also things like apprentices are a con for young people, I have seen ones for under 19s pay like £2 a hour.

Another thing I have heard is that employers often ignore applications from the unemployed thinking they have zero work ethic and being a student means you are hard working, I have heard from many people and even first hand experienced employers dumping unread applications in the bin from unemployed plus when I was working I applied for a few other jobs as I didnt have enough hours(this was before the recession though) I got interviews with EVERY employer despite when I was unemployed being lucky to get 1 in 10 interviews.

I have also heard that employers prefer students as they hope once the person graduates they stay with the company

Fair enough I imagine the under 21 thing is a big factor, didn't think of that as I am ancient myself. As for rights not only do they not know them but they have the luxury of knowing they can quit at any time if it gets too much.

As for the discrimination against the unemployed we can thank the neoliberals and the tabloids for that. Could only be solved with government bungs in my view.

Yes apprentice wages are an abuse of human rights especially nowadays when you have apprenticeships for cashier work etc
Original post by drbluebox
I mean this in the sense of that you have someone unemployed over a year maybe even 4 or 5 or more years who wants to work, and students who want money for luxuries(or pushing it their parents refuse to top up their loans)

Whom do you think should have a better chance?

I ask this because I know people who want to work but cant as well as students just wanting booze money(quite literally) often being far better off than someone on benefits before working due to disposible income, student discounts etc.

If someone who is desperate to get off benefits is turned down for a student who probably wont be in the position long term what difference does that make to employment?

Being a student myself, the unemployed who aren't in education should get the better chance of getting a job, if you're from a low income family you sometimes get bursaries or other benefits and some can rely on parents at least until they get a job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending