The Student Room Group

Revealed! why Welsh students fumble during interview!

Experimental psychology hopefuls, meanwhile, could be asked: 'An experiment appears to suggest Welsh speakers are worse at remembering phone numbers than English speakers. Why?' Nick Yeung of University College said: 'This would never be given as a one-line question out of context.

'It is one of a set of questions I ask students after showing them a psychology experiment case study with data about short-term memory in English and Welsh speakers. 'The key point is that numbers are spelled differently and are longer in Welsh than in English, and it turns out that memory (and arithmetic) depend on how easily pronounced the words are.

'I would hope the student would pick out this connection between memory and how easy to spell or pronounce a word is, and how that relates to spelling and pronunciation in Welsh versus in English.'

Source.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2794365/why-welsh-people-bad-remembering-phone-numbers-past-count-oxford-university-reveal-unanswerable-interview-questions-asks-students.html

Reply 1
I think many Welsh people fumble with any kind of mental task to be honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Jebedee
I think many Welsh people fumble with any kind of mental task to be honest.
Posted from TSR Mobile

From my past experience, the Welsh, the Scottish and the Irish are very nice people.
Reply 3
Original post by Maura Kat
From my past experience, the Welsh, the Scottish and the Irish are very nice people.

Lots of people with down syndrome are supposedly nice
..doesn't make them smart!
Reply 4
As usual the top rated comments on that article reiterating how people need to learn to shut up if they don't know what they're talking about.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by nohomo
Lots of people with down syndrome are supposedly nice
..doesn't make them smart!

Original post by Noble.
As usual the top rated comments on that article reiterating how people need to learn to shut up if they don't know what they're talking about.

i don't get what you both are trying to convey to me.
Reply 6
Original post by Maura Kat

From mine, I would disagree. (I'm Welsh).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending