The Student Room Group

Scottish Universities Medicine Offers/ Interviews 2015

I know a lot of people (myself included) who are applying for Medicine with 3/4 of their options being either Edinburgh, Dundee, Glasgow, Aberdeen or St Andrews. I thought I'd start a thread where the 2015 applicants can share if/ when they've received offers for interviews (so people can keep up with when they start coming out), as well as interview & final offer discussion. Good luck everyone!

Here's the medicine connect/stalking page - you'll be able to see other applicants' grades and offers. If you enter your details it will be really helpful for other people applying.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by maarji
I know a lot of people (myself included) who are applying for Medicine with 3/4 of their options being either Edinburgh, Dundee, Glasgow, Aberdeen or St Andrews. I thought I'd start a thread where the 2015 applicants can share if/ when they've received offers for interviews (so people can keep up with when they start coming out), as well as interview & final offer discussion. Good luck everyone!

There's so many Scottish threads but no one seems to keep them going. I've given up. Lol

Anyway I didn't get enough higher grades to meet any requirements in Scotland. So I am going for Keele. My only medicine choice. Thought its worth a try if I work hard to get my AH this year. Otherwise I will go for GEM.
Good luck with your application.
really hope 745 is enough for edinburgh! damn I hate waiting (for the 2nd time)
Reply 3
Original post by cannotdecide
There's so many Scottish threads but no one seems to keep them going. I've given up. Lol

Anyway I didn't get enough higher grades to meet any requirements in Scotland. So I am going for Keele. My only medicine choice. Thought its worth a try if I work hard to get my AH this year. Otherwise I will go for GEM.
Good luck with your application.

I'm hoping this one will gather a little momentum when offers start coming out! It's entirely for selfish purposes tbh :redface:, I want to know when unis start contacting people. I'm applying for Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Dundee & Glasgow.

Good luck with your AH's and Keele!
Reply 4
Original post by solarplexus
really hope 745 is enough for edinburgh! damn I hate waiting (for the 2nd time)

I got 707.5 so I hope so too! The averages are much lower this year so 745 puts you pretty far up there. Where else are you applying?
that puts you in the top 10%...I wouldn't worry. That's like getting 780 last year!! I got 630 so I'm extremely worried! :/
Reply 6
Do you think being in the 7th decile and all other requirements met (grades,work experience etc) will be enough for an interview or conditional from Glasgow,Aberdeen, Edinburgh or Dundee?
Original post by maarji
I got 707.5 so I hope so too! The averages are much lower this year so 745 puts you pretty far up there. Where else are you applying?

Im from UK, applying to Edinburgh, Plymouth, Barts (again) and KCL (again). Gap year re-applicant.
Reply 8
Original post by humza0786
Do you think being in the 7th decile and all other requirements met (grades,work experience etc) will be enough for an interview or conditional from Glasgow,Aberdeen, Edinburgh or Dundee?

That puts you in the top 30% so I'd say you stand a very good chance of getting interviews! Certainly at Glasgow because what I can tell they interview based solely on minimum requirements/ ukcat. What would be your first choice out of those for (I applied to the same ones :smile:)?
Reply 9
Original post by aspiring_dr
that puts you in the top 10%...I wouldn't worry. That's like getting 780 last year!! I got 630 so I'm extremely worried! :/

Where did you apply? Places like Aberdeen aren't so UKCAT heavy, and I'm not sure how Edinburgh will use it this year since they cant use the SJ banding.
Reply 10
Im from UK, applying to Edinburgh, Plymouth, Barts (again) and KCL (again). Gap year re-applicant.

Good luck! Did you do anything medical on your gap year?
Original post by maarji
That puts you in the top 30% so I'd say you stand a very good chance of getting interviews! Certainly at Glasgow because what I can tell they interview based solely on minimum requirements/ ukcat. What would be your first choice out of those for (I applied to the same ones :smile:)?

Glasgow look equally at ukcat, PS, grades and reference ... So each has 25% weighting. A very high UKCAT can compensate for something else you lack.
Original post by maarji
Where did you apply? Places like Aberdeen aren't so UKCAT heavy, and I'm not sure how Edinburgh will use it this year since they cant use the SJ banding.

Aberdeen, Glasgow, St Andrews and Cardiff. Edinburgh was too risky in my opinion and I'm so glad I didn't apply there... Glasgow have changed their tactics with weighing all components to an application equally ... But medicine is such a gamble at times. What about you??
Original post by maarji
Good luck! Did you do anything medical on your gap year?

Not exactly, been working part time at GPs surgery thats all. Been to USA and Tokyo just messing about like shiet, because tbf I did like 8 different types of work experience in the summer of 2012 and all the voluntary work in 2013. There is seriously nothing I can do anything else apart from going abroad to help some Eritrean kids, but as much as I would like to, I can't as I don't want to get Ebola.
Original post by maarji

I'd say im stuck between Aberdeen and Glasgow what about yourself?
Reply 15
Original post by aspiring_dr
Aberdeen, Glasgow, St Andrews and Cardiff. Edinburgh was too risky in my opinion and I'm so glad I didn't apply there... Glasgow have changed their tactics with weighing all components to an application equally ... But medicine is such a gamble at times. What about you??

So Glasgow have changed their admissions tactics this year then? They were very vague about it at the open day, it ticked me off :frown:. I've applied to Edinburgh, Dundee, Glasgow and Aberdeen.
Reply 16
Original post by humza0786
I'd say im stuck between Aberdeen and Glasgow what about yourself?

Probably Edinburgh or Dundee, depending on if I decided I could bear to live at home or not :redface:
Reply 17
Not exactly, been working part time at GPs surgery thats all. Been to USA and Tokyo just messing about like shiet, because tbf I did like 8 different types of work experience in the summer of 2012 and all the voluntary work in 2013. There is seriously nothing I can do anything else apart from going abroad to help some Eritrean kids, but as much as I would like to, I can't as I don't want to get Ebola.

How long were you in Tokyo/ USA for? Sounds amazing. Tbh I think working part time in a GP sounds like exactly the kind of gap year thing they like.

If you're hoping to be a doctor, you shouldn't be worrying about getting Ebola . If anybody in the U.K is going to get Ebola (Or whatever Black Death wannabe is floating around when you qualify) in the next few years, it will be a doctor.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Alex347_
If you're hoping to be a doctor, you shouldn't be worrying about getting Ebola . If anybody in the U.K is going to get Ebola (Or whatever Black Death wannabe is floating around when you qualify) in the next few years, it will be a doctor.

I am not worried about getting ebola. I dont WANT to get ebola.

Quick Reply

Latest