The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

University of Edinburgh Accommodation Thread for Entry 2015/16

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pipella
okay thank you! wasn't sure if they were for the whole year or not.
any particular reason? was it too far away from everything? or just too quiet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Personally it was the distance. My first year wasn't great, and I think Beaverbank had a lot to do with that. I now live 5 minutes from Central Campus and I'm loving uni now.
And it's not the distance from uni,it's the distance from everything. I had troubles going on a night out because it was so far away. I spent a lot of time clubbing in George Street, where the Cowgate is cheaper etc. etc.
A summary: Nice halls, too far away, too expensive.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by Mbxx
Awww good!! Shall hopefully be seeing you soon then aaah :-) x

Yes definitely ahh!! What grades do you need to get? :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 242
Original post by Anna-22
Yes definitely ahh!! What grades do you need to get? :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got an unconditional! Im on a gap year just now! What about you? :-) x
Original post by Mbxx
I got an unconditional! Im on a gap year just now! What about you? :-) x

Aw well done!! 3BBBs :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Could anyone help me choose between Sciennes and Meadow Court? Might put either of them down in 2nd behind Deaconess and then Pollock for 3rd.
Original post by UPSDGoat
Personally it was the distance. My first year wasn't great, and I think Beaverbank had a lot to do with that. I now live 5 minutes from Central Campus and I'm loving uni now.
And it's not the distance from uni,it's the distance from everything. I had troubles going on a night out because it was so far away. I spent a lot of time clubbing in George Street, where the Cowgate is cheaper etc. etc.
A summary: Nice halls, too far away, too expensive.

thanks for the advice, I'm going to eca so I'll try and choose halls closer to there 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 246
Original post by Anna-22
Aw well done!! 3BBBs :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you!! Aww thats good, you will get that!! do you have facebook :-) x
Reply 247
Original post by Frank the Tankk
Could anyone help me choose between Sciennes and Meadow Court? Might put either of them down in 2nd behind Deaconess and then Pollock for 3rd.

Very similar to be honest. They are on the same street, right across from eachother. I live in Sciennes and personally I think it is great here. Good common room, really good location - it is quiet, but extremely close to uni, the meadows, supermarkets, etc. I would really recommend it. I think it is slightly cheaper than Meadow Court, but Sciennes is just all round a really good place to stay.
Anyone got advice on pollock hall?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 249
Original post by indiearty
Anyone got advice on pollock hall?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by pipella
thanks for the advice, I'm going to eca so I'll try and choose halls closer to there

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've set up a thread for ECA students looking at accommodation so we can have a chat about it and find other ECA students looking at the same halls. Search ECA applicants 2015/16 accommodation xx
Original post by Ambry
Very similar to be honest. They are on the same street, right across from eachother. I live in Sciennes and personally I think it is great here. Good common room, really good location - it is quiet, but extremely close to uni, the meadows, supermarkets, etc. I would really recommend it. I think it is slightly cheaper than Meadow Court, but Sciennes is just all round a really good place to stay.

I thought so, they look extremely similar anyway...except I noticed Sciennes has a nice common room haha. How social is it at Sciennes too? From looking around I've heard some of the halls can be somewhat anti-social
Original post by Mbxx
thank you!! Aww thats good, you will get that!! do you have facebook :-) x

Hopefully!! Yes- Anna Hunter :smile: x
Reply 253
Original post by Anna-22
Hopefully!! Yes- Anna Hunter :smile: x

You will! Ive added you, its melissa brown :-) x
Hi guys, just firmed my offer for Medicinal Chemistry at Edinburgh! Was wondering what you guys thought would be the best accommodation for a science degree? I love going out and being social but also don't wanna be a million miles away from kings! Any advice would be great cheers guys
Deaconess or Darroch Court for social life?
Original post by pipella
thanks for the advice, I'm going to eca so I'll try and choose halls closer to there 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you looked at Portsburgh Court? They're ensuite and across the road from ECA
Original post by openthegate
Hi guys, just firmed my offer for Medicinal Chemistry at Edinburgh! Was wondering what you guys thought would be the best accommodation for a science degree? I love going out and being social but also don't wanna be a million miles away from kings! Any advice would be great cheers guys

Choose accommodation near central campus, I don't know how the timetable works, but in 1st year you'll likely have your lectures in central, your labs in Kings and then tutorials split between the two campuses.
If you're near central than you can use the free shuttle bus, walk (about 30 minutes) or cycle, and you'll live around loads of students and you'll be in a really good position for social events.
Advice on pollock halls?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know my three just need to decide the order.

Quick Reply

Latest