The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

University of Edinburgh Accommodation Thread for Entry 2015/16

Scroll to see replies

Original post by callmethed0ctor
I do like the look of Meadow Court so I'll think about it a bit more!

Ooo finally! I've been trying to find someone who does maths at Edinburgh, so if you don't mind I have got a couple of questions:

1) I don't do Further Maths A Level formally but I'm doing FP1 in my own time. How else do you recommend I should prepare based on the courses you've been doing?

2) What do you think the best way to take notes in lectures would be? I hear it's pretty fast paced so I'm worried I won't be able to write quick enough haha

3) How different is the degree, like the structure, the content etc..., from A level Maths?

Thank you so much! :smile:

I'll reply on private chat, so it doesn't clog up the accom thread
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by UPSDGoat
I'll reply on private chat, so it doesn't clog up the accom thread

Yeah, good idea thank ya!
Are the self-catered accommodation's flats mixed gender or single-sex?
Are the self-catered accommodation's flats mixed gender or single-sex?

mostly single, but a few en-suite or bigger flats are mixed! I was in a mixed flat
mostly single, but a few en-suite or bigger flats are mixed! I was in a mixed flat

Ah right... Unsure how I feel about that :tongue: thank you though!
Ah right... Unsure how I feel about that :tongue: thank you though!

I'm 99% sure that during the application you can put down a preference
I'm 99% sure that during the application you can put down a preference

Would that not limit me only to specific accommodations?
Would that not limit me only to specific accommodations?

not at all, you put down all your accommodations and then select mixed or single-sex. If the accommmodation only allows you in a single sex flat then you'd be assigned a single-sex flat
not at all, you put down all your accommodations and then select mixed or single-sex. If the accommmodation only allows you in a single sex flat then you'd be assigned a single-sex flat

Oh ok that sounds pretty reasonable. Thank you for your help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Anyone got any advice about Grant Property? I'm a first year looking to move out for second year and my group is looking at some flats from Grant that seem nice, but I've heard some bad stuff about them. Any advice?
Original post by Ambry
Anyone got any advice about Grant Property? I'm a first year looking to move out for second year and my group is looking at some flats from Grant that seem nice, but I've heard some bad stuff about them. Any advice?

They're fine..., as long as you have no problems with the flat
Otherwise, they can be a pain in the arse

One of my mates stayed in a Grant property flat
Original post by Ambry

They certainly used to be one to avoid - subject to a rather memorable expose in The Student a few years ago, I seem to remember. However, I've really heard very little about them more recently. I think UPSDGoat's advice is sound - if the flat looks okay, then you'll probably be fine.
Reply 32
Original post by hopethishelpsu

Sciennes, I have been informed, is a wicked place to make friends. However, it’s a much grubbier place. The flats are smaller and dingy, and it’s much more further away than many of the accommodations. Further then Pollock (and that’s saying something). However, the shared common room is pretty swish and if money is a big problem then this cheaper alternative isn’t the worse place in the workld (although I wouldn’t recommend it)

Your advice about Sciennes is a bit wrong. I live here and it is great to make friends and has a great common room! BUT the rest of your advice is totally uninformed.

Sciennes flats and rooms are not dingy! I will post a picture of my room and show you. It is lovely and bright and I have an amazing view of the castle from my kitchen and Arthur's seat from my bedroom. Every Sciennes flat I've been in is bright, calm and pretty damn nice. I am actually insulted you say it is grubby, if any flats are grubby it is because of the people who live there. My flat (and all of the other 7-12 Sciennes flats I've been in) are clean, bright, and well kept. Have you even been to Sciennes?

And your advice about it being far away is complete and utter rubbish if I'm being honest. It is literally one of the closest accommodations to George Square. No joke, I can get to George Square (the main uni campus) in FIVE MINUTES. It is so well located its unreal - supermarkets a short walk away, right next to the beautiful meadows, not on a noisy street, and it is within walking distance of clubs, bars, Cowgate, etc.

Sciennes is an amazing place to live, it is so cheap and great value for money. The common room is wonderful and we just got a ping pong table, adding to our TV, pool table and DVD collection. It is literally the perfect accommodation, and feels like a real community.

Any incoming freshers - don't listen to his advice, take it from me as a person who has spent the past semester and a half living here - Sciennes is brilliant!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ambry
Your advice about Sciennes is a bit wrong. I live here and it is great to make friends and has a great common room! BUT the rest of your advice is totally uninformed.

Sciennes flats and rooms are not dingy! I will post a picture of my room and show you. It is lovely and bright and I have an amazing view of the castle from my kitchen and Arthur's seat from my bedroom. Every Sciennes flat I've been in is bright, calm and pretty damn nice. I am actually insulted you say it is grubby, if any flats are grubby it is because of the people who live there. My flat (and all of the other 7-12 Sciennes flats I've been in) are clean, bright, and well kept. Have you even been to Sciennes?

And your advice about it being far away is complete and utter rubbish if I'm being honest. It is literally one of the closest accommodations to George Square. No joke, I can get to George Square (the main uni campus) in FIVE MINUTES. It is so well located its unreal - supermarkets a short walk away, right next to the beautiful meadows, not on a noisy street, and it is within walking distance of clubs, bars, Cowgate, etc.

Sciennes is an amazing place to live, it is so cheap and great value for money. The common room is wonderful and we just got a ping pong table, adding to our TV, pool table and DVD collection. It is literally the perfect accommodation, and feels like a real community.

Any incoming freshers - don't listen to his advice, take it from me as a person who has spent the past semester and a half living here - Sciennes is brilliant!

I don't understand how someone could come to the conclusion that Sciennes is further than Pollock to uni.
But to extend this further, Sciennes (and Meadow Court) are the places I wish I stayed in during my 1st year.
Reply 34
Can only speak for Beaverbank. The distance from the uni bothered me at first but it's turned out to be ideal as we've got used to it. Yes you will have to bus or walk to uni, the bus is 10 minutes and the walk about 35, but being far away means you're a decent distance from the noise of everything if that is your preference, and at exam time you can barely hear a pin drop. The flats are so modern, double bed, ensuite. You're actually not far from clubs at all that are on George Street which are generally a lot nicer than the ones on Cowgate, Princes street is the midpoint between Beaverbank and the uni and takes only a 15 minute walk to get there. I feel from living here i've experienced more of the city than most freshers who won't venture out of the radius of the uni and Cowgate.. 15 minutes from Calton Hill (google it) . And the nearest supermarket (and I mean about a minutes walk) is a huge Tesco. As far as Im aware, the other accom's are only near express supermarkets. I didn't choose this accommodation but didn't mind accepting the offer, and I can't complain about it at all! Hope this helps
Reply 35
I don't understand how someone could come to the conclusion that Sciennes is further than Pollock to uni.
But to extend this further, Sciennes (and Meadow Court) are the places I wish I stayed in during my 1st year.

Same! Pollock is probably one of the furthest accommodations, and even then Pollock isn't that far out. It is about ten minutes away from Sciennes.
Sciennes is so damn close it is unreal! :biggrin:
Guys what about Darroch? I put that as my first choice and now I'm really worried- the reviews are mixed!! Is it over subscribed do you know?

:/xx
Are Grant Properties good? Do they take care of their properties, etc? Any advice on letting agencies if Grant isnt good?
Reply 38
Original post by helends
Can only speak for Beaverbank.

Hiii just wondering if Beaverbank has bicycle storage?
Original post by SMH95
Hiii just wondering if Beaverbank has bicycle storage?

hey! I stayed at Beaverbank, and it does have bike racks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending