The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

University of Edinburgh Accommodation Thread for Entry 2015/16

Scroll to see replies

Original post by USGirl14
Are Grant Properties good? Do they take care of their properties, etc? Any advice on letting agencies if Grant isnt good?

They're alright..., as long as nothing goes wrong.
They don't have the best reputation, but even I am willing to take up a flat with them if it's perfect; but they are known to hike up rent prices each year.
And when flat hunting I wouldn't concentrate on letting agents, but the flats instead. Most of the letting agents are alright and shouldn't give you much hassle
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 41
Hello,
I am an international student and I will study LLM program in Sept.

Could you recommend me any accommodations which not far from Old college building? I would like to walk.

Now I have two choices in my mind

the first one is Sugarhouse which is near and I am be able to walk but I saw a lot of awful posts about Unite from this website.

the last one is Gateway which seem to be a very nice accommodation but it is very far from the building, so I am wondering could I walk?

Thank you
Original post by Koho
Hello,
I am an international student and I will study LLM program in Sept.

Could you recommend me any accommodations which not far from Old college building? I would like to walk.

Now I have two choices in my mind

the first one is Sugarhouse which is near and I am be able to walk but I saw a lot of awful posts about Unite from this website.

the last one is Gateway which seem to be a very nice accommodation but it is very far from the building, so I am wondering could I walk?

Thank you

Are you not able to get university accommodation? They're not as nice but they're cheaper and could be closer (kincaids could be a good option to you!)

In terms of Sugarhouse Close and Gateway. I have a friend who currently lives at Sugarhouse close and he really enjoys it, and is even staying there for another year!

Also, I don't know much about Gateway but I'd say it's a 15-20 minute walk to Old College

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
Although I really want to live in an university accommodation, I am not guaranteed for the accommodation because I haven't got an uncon offer yet.
Reply 44
A few questions...
Do you know if you are still guaranteed accommodation (assuming you meet the other criteria) if you get a conditional offer instead of an unconditional, even if its your firm?
Also, what's the chances of being fully rejected from university accommodation? My worst nightmare would be accepting Edinburgh as my firm then not being able to get university accommodation as im set on moving out and on university accommodation. Is there a risk of this?

Hows the community spirit in Edinburgh? I know in various other universities that because the accommodation/unions/campus are all in the one area, it makes it a more united community spirit.

Is cowgate really as bad as its made out to be? I'm a pretty heavy sleeper and usually don't mind much noise, but I've not been subjected to what everyone says is true about cowgate.

Is there really much of a difference between small rooms and standard rooms? I know there's around £10-20 difference between them both and i was wondering if its worth it.

Also, anyone stayed in or know anything about Nicholson St and South College St, or East Newington Place?

Thanks!!
Original post by jane111
A few questions...
Do you know if you are still guaranteed accommodation (assuming you meet the other criteria) if you get a conditional offer instead of an unconditional, even if its your firm?
Also, what's the chances of being fully rejected from university accommodation? My worst nightmare would be accepting Edinburgh as my firm then not being able to get university accommodation as im set on moving out and on university accommodation. Is there a risk of this?

Hows the community spirit in Edinburgh? I know in various other universities that because the accommodation/unions/campus are all in the one area, it makes it a more united community spirit.

Is cowgate really as bad as its made out to be? I'm a pretty heavy sleeper and usually don't mind much noise, but I've not been subjected to what everyone says is true about cowgate.

Is there really much of a difference between small rooms and standard rooms? I know there's around £10-20 difference between them both and i was wondering if its worth it.

Also, anyone stayed in or know anything about Nicholson St and South College St, or East Newington Place?

Thanks!!

If UoE is your conditional firm choice (if you apply by August 16th and you meet your conditions by the 30th August), and you love outwith Edinburgh then you're guaranteed accommodation for your 1st year
If UoE is your conditional insurance choice then you're only guaranteed catered, shared rooms.

Community spirit is amazing in Edinburgh, everyone is normally really proud of their halls. It's also really easy to meet people outside halls too!

All rooms have everything you need (bed, desk and storage), so the only difference between a small and regular sized room is the size.

Nicholson Street and South College Street are on a main road, but you'll probably be fine with it if you're okay with noise.
East Newington Place will be quiter though
Apart from that I don't know a lot about these accommodations
Anyone have experience of New Arthur Place?
Reply 47
Hi I have received an offer to study a Masters of Public Health. As a home student I am not guaranteed university accommodation and I coming to Edinburgh with my partner who is not a student. Does anyone know of any landlords that will accept couple where only one of them is a student?
Original post by 2014 MPH
Hi I have received an offer to study a Masters of Public Health. As a home student I am not guaranteed university accommodation and I coming to Edinburgh with my partner who is not a student. Does anyone know of any landlords that will accept couple where only one of them is a student?

Landlords will accept anyone who can pay the rent, but you will have to pay council tax if one of you aren't a student (even though you will get a discount on it)
Reply 49
Original post by jane111

Hey! I would say almost always go for the smaller room. I stay in Sciennes and my friends who got a 'regular' room could hardly tell the difference in size between their rooms and my 'small' room. My room is small and is an absolutely perfect size, I honestly think the uni introduced small and regular room price differences to make money. Paying over 10 quid extra a week for a room that is hardly any different in the same accommodation is not worth it IMO. I can do a good weekly shop for the amount of money I am saving per week with my small Sciennes room compared to the large ones.
I've narrowed it down to Deaconess, Darroch Court, East Newington Place, Fraser Court, John Burnett, Kincaid, Meadow, Nicholson St or Warrender Park Crescent, so yeah... doing well on deciding...
Original post by callmethed0ctor
I've narrowed it down to Deaconess, Darroch Court, East Newington Place, Fraser Court, John Burnett, Kincaid, Meadow, Nicholson St or Warrender Park Crescent, so yeah... doing well on deciding...

That was me a few weeks ago haha, in the end I did an excel spreadsheet comparing them all with loads of different categories.. sad I know, what can I say, I'm thorough.

You have to pick 3, I went with 1. Darroch 2. Hermits 3. East Newington

a bit of advice, go on the kitchen size, my sister went to sheffield and said that in her 1st year it was hard for her and her flatmates to bond because there was one tiny kitchen table and 3 chairs. For 8 of them. They had nowhere to predrink haha!

Oh, that and check the floorplans, they tell you roughly how many toilets, shower ooms, the size of bedrooms and also kitchens are gonna be in that accommodation! :smile:
Reply 52
can anyone recommend accommodation to look at if you're going to be going to kings building?
Original post by Mhairip
can anyone recommend accommodation to look at if you're going to be going to kings building?

It'll be a good idea to stay around Central Campus, as you can get a free shuttle bus to Kings or walk (the walk takes about half an hour).

My recommendations would be Sciennes or Meadow Court

Just don't go too far away from Central if you're studying at Kings
Reply 54
Original post by UPSDGoat
It'll be a good idea to stay around Central Campus, as you can get a free shuttle bus to Kings or walk (the walk takes about half an hour).

My recommendations would be Sciennes or Meadow Court

Just don't go too far away from Central if you're studying at Kings

Yeah I was thinking on doing that because I didn't want to be away from the Central to much. I was looking into them since they did seem to be close, thanks
Reply 55
Hi I'm international student and got uncoditional offer as a student exchange.
Does anyone who lives Chancellors court or John Burnett?
Chancellors is much more cheaper than John Burnett but I prefer clean, comfortable place(single en-suite).
How about cleaness and people who lives?
Which is better for international student?
Original post by Hfblondey
That was me a few weeks ago haha, in the end I did an excel spreadsheet comparing them all with loads of different categories.. sad I know, what can I say, I'm thorough.

a bit of advice, go on the kitchen size, my sister went to sheffield and said that in her 1st year it was hard for her and her flatmates to bond because there was one tiny kitchen table and 3 chairs. For 8 of them. They had nowhere to predrink haha!

Oh, that and check the floorplans, they tell you roughly how many toilets, shower ooms, the size of bedrooms and also kitchens are gonna be in that accommodation! :smile:

That's not sad at all, I love a good spreadsheet! Kitchen size seems like an unusual category but I'll go with your sister's advice, thank you very much!
Original post by Hfblondey

How do I find the floor plans btw?
Original post by callmethed0ctor
How do I find the floor plans btw?

its on the website when you click on an accommodation, on the right hand side near 'print this page' or something like that x
Hey, I wondered if anyone knew much about Deaconess studio flats (my first choice atm) and the Unite flats at Portsburgh court?

I'm definitely looking to live alone but with only 35 Deaconess flats I doubt I'll get one. If I have to live with others I'd prefer only 3-5 people per flat like Portsburgh, but was wondering how many flats are actually shared between 3 people, like is it just a rarity?

Scandinavian Studies and Linguistics offer holder btw! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending