The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

University of Edinburgh Accommodation Thread for Entry 2015/16

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SarahLund
Hey, I wondered if anyone knew much about Deaconess studio flats (my first choice atm) and the Unite flats at Portsburgh court?

I'm definitely looking to live alone but with only 35 Deaconess flats I doubt I'll get one. If I have to live with others I'd prefer only 3-5 people per flat like Portsburgh, but was wondering how many flats are actually shared between 3 people, like is it just a rarity?

Scandinavian Studies and Linguistics offer holder btw! :biggrin:

I don't know much about Deaconess, as it's newly built.

In my first year I had 2 friends at Portburgh Court, they both stayed in a 4 bedroom, so it was themselves and 3 other people

The uni does have individual and studio flats elsewhere though if you want to live alone, you can find the list here:-
http://www.studenthomes.accom.ed.ac.uk/
Just choose "single person" and hit search
If you want to find out more information about them then phone the number on the individual flats pages
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by UPSDGoat
I don't know much about Deaconess, as it's newly built.

In my first year I had 2 friends at Portburgh Court, they both stayed in a 4 bedroom, so it was themselves and 3 other people

The uni does have individual and studio flats elsewhere though if you want to live alone, you can find the list here:-
http://www.studenthomes.accom.ed.ac.uk/
Just choose "single person" and hit search
If you want to find out more information about them then phone the number on the individual flats pages

Oh cool I don't mind sharing with a few people. Thank you for the link!
Reply 62
Hi !

I got an offer for Economics&Politics.

I just wanted to know which accomodations are the best at Edinburgh and why ?
And should I choose a catered or self-catered accommodation ?

Thanks
Original post by Me00
Hi !

I got an offer for Economics&Politics.

I just wanted to know which accomodations are the best at Edinburgh and why ?
And should I choose a catered or self-catered accommodation ?

Thanks

The question a bit vague, because there's a lot of choice so it depends on preference.

Can you imagine yourself making dinner every evening? Are you looking for a place which is cheaper? Do you prefer a double bedroom or an en suite? Do you want to be near campus?

These are the questions you should be asking yourself, as there's not one which is the stand-out "best"
Reply 64
Hello!

I'd like to know a little more about postgraduate accommodation, both public and private. I'll be joining the MScR course in Biomedical Sciences, and I would appreciate any help with regards to accommodation options in and around Little France (the school of biomedical sciences is based here right?) if possible.

Thanks.
Hiya!
After getting my MA English Language and Linguistics offer, I figured I should really start looking into accommodation options and I'm not really too sure where to start :') I know I'm definitely looking for a self catered single room, but I'm not sure about much more than that. Although it's probably not the most important thing to look for in accommodation, I would really like somewhere somewhat scenic- potentially with a view of, or at least near to, St Arthurs Seat? I quite like the look of Hermits Croft- Does anyone have a particularly strong opinion of it? I don't want to end up living somewhere too far away from everywhere :')
Thankyou! x
Original post by N.A.M
Hello!

I'd like to know a little more about postgraduate accommodation, both public and private. I'll be joining the MScR course in Biomedical Sciences, and I would appreciate any help with regards to accommodation options in and around Little France (the school of biomedical sciences is based here right?) if possible.

Thanks.

Hey. I don't know if you're international or within EU/UK? As far as I've heard it's hard to get accomendation via the university when you're within the EU - If you're from outside EU then there is guaranteed accomendation.

I'm gonna study Msc in Marketing and I found my accomendation via studentflat.com .. I think it looks nice and it's close to everything and not to expensive compared to a lot of other options..
Original post by N.A.M
Hello!

Thanks.

i'm not sure about postgraduate, but i'm starting the undergraduate biomedical sciences and my classes will be based in both Central and Kings campuses, but not Little France, so you might want to double check just in case! pretty sure the school of biomedical sciences building is in George Square, as thats the address they've put on letters.
Wondering whether anyone could recommend catered en suite accommodation for an undergraduate 1st year? Is John Burnett any good?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 69
Original post by michele394
i'm not sure about postgraduate, but i'm starting the undergraduate biomedical sciences and my classes will be based in both Central and Kings campuses, but not Little France, so you might want to double check just in case! pretty sure the school of biomedical sciences building is in George Square, as thats the address they've put on letters.

http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/biomedical-sciences/prospective-students/biomedical-sciences/accommodation

The various centres may be spread across the city. Isn't the admin building in George Square? Maybe that's the address on letters.
Reply 70
Hi everyone :biggrin: I, an international student, just received an unconditional offer from the University of Edinburgh to do MSc CS and it is very likely that I will firm here.

As a single postgrad student outside EU, they guarantee that I will receive an offer of accommodation. However, I am wondering if I get to choose which accommodation I want or they will have their methods to choose the place for me? The thing is I want to live close the lecture building.

Thank you all :biggrin:
Hi I got my offer from Edinburgh and I'm looking at accommodation now. Are there any (self catered) that you would absolutely NOT recommend? :smile:
Original post by lightningdoritos
Hi I got my offer from Edinburgh and I'm looking at accommodation now. Are there any (self catered) that you would absolutely NOT recommend? :smile:

Beaverbank mainly, and any others ridiculously far from central
Reply 73
I've applied for Interior Design at ECA so would Portsborough Court be a good choice of accommodation? It's really close to the school of art, en suite and self catered which is what I wanted so please let me know if you have any advice- whether it is quite a social halls?
Does anyone know any good accommodation for students studying at ECA?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 75
Which Accommodation would suit me?

I would be going to kings campus for CSc(I hope I got the campus right) , and would be better if there's a gym in close proximity as I like to work out and since it's located in the city center.
According to this post, Darroch court is ideal , But any other suggestion? I would also like to minimize the cost of living, so not too expensive accommodations please ^^

Help please :3

Thanks
Original post by Raysorb
Which Accommodation would suit me?

I would be going to kings campus for CSc(I hope I got the campus right) , and would be better if there's a gym in close proximity as I like to work out and since it's located in the city center.
According to this post, Darroch court is ideal , But any other suggestion? I would also like to minimize the cost of living, so not too expensive accommodations please ^^

Help please :3

Thanks

You'll actually be in central (George Square) campus, the school of informatics is based there and you'll be living in the glorious Appleton Tower for most of your degree!

Darroch Court is good, I'd also recommend Sciennes, Kincaids Court and College Wynd too. It is always a good plan, wherever you study at the university, to live as close as possible to central campus as everything is around there, and you can always get a shuttle bus to Kings if needs be. For example the University Gym, is 5-10 minutes away roughly from George Square (it's situated next to Pleasance, which is one of the student unions)
Original post by indiearty
Does anyone know any good accommodation for students studying at ECA?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Ah777
I've applied for Interior Design at ECA so would Portsborough Court be a good choice of accommodation? It's really close to the school of art, en suite and self catered which is what I wanted so please let me know if you have any advice- whether it is quite a social halls?

Portsburgh Court would be an amazing choice, it's practically on the doorstep of ECA. I have mates who lived there and they loved it, and got on really well there.

The ECA is also about 10 minutes from the George Square campus, so if you were looking for somewhere a little cheaper then go for a place around there.
Reply 78
Portsburgh Court would be an amazing choice, it's practically on the doorstep of ECA. I have mates who lived there and they loved it, and got on really well there.

The ECA is also about 10 minutes from the George Square campus, so if you were looking for somewhere a little cheaper then go for a place around there.

Ah okay, that's what I thought at first but friends have told me to go in Pollock Halls cause its more social than the other places?
Reply 79
You'll actually be in central (George Square) campus, the school of informatics is based there and you'll be living in the glorious Appleton Tower for most of your degree!

Darroch Court is good, I'd also recommend Sciennes, Kincaids Court and College Wynd too. It is always a good plan, wherever you study at the university, to live as close as possible to central campus as everything is around there, and you can always get a shuttle bus to Kings if needs be. For example the University Gym, is 5-10 minutes away roughly from George Square (it's situated next to Pleasance, which is one of the student unions)

Again thanks for your help. But I still can't decide between them :3 , can you please help me more by giving a short description or the advantages of the particular accommodation over others :x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest