The Student Room Group

How big a rent for halls would you consider "too much"?

Going to uni in 2015 and looking at accommodation has made me realise just how diversely the prices of accommodation vary from uni to uni.

E.g Newcastle offers en suite accommodation in some places for £117.60/week while many other places charge over £100 for non basin accommodation and upwards £130 for en suite.
I'm not honestly sure what defines 'affordable' accommodation for me as I am not sure what sort of a loan I will get.

What would be your limit in weekly rent for accommodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
£2500 a week maybe?
£200 a week is enough depending on your location.

If it was London, I'd say £200 is a fair game. I don't know about other cities but until and unless you are catered, you shouldn't be charged that much.

£110 is fine for me (if only the room is big enough).

for ensuite I'd say £130-£140.
It's better to look at the overall cost per year as they will have varying contract lengths (likely either ~42 weeks or 51 weeks), especially if looking at private accom.

So currently I'm in private accom. in Sheffield which traditionally uses 51 week contracts and I'm paying £95 per week which is quite expensive, maybe a bit too much.
I pay £170 a week for a basic room with a basin. I don't get food or an en suite for that price.

But I am in London...
prices seem to be rising fast..

When i first started uni, outskirts of london, I paid £86 a week..

4 years later, in my final year I paid £96 - and they were apparently raising it to over £100 the next year..

Honestly, for me, if your not in london, then its got to be less then 100 for non-ensuite, and somewhere just over £100 for ensuite..

Its still crazy though.. I knew people at uni who were paying £145 or so, for a single ensuite room.. which works out at more per month then I pay now, for mine and my wifes big 2 bed flat, with out own kitchen, study, living room etc.. (with bills, its probably even money, but your getting a lot less space)

Of course it makes little difference though, as I would still strongly recomend halls to anyone - great experiance that most should go through :smile: (even if its just to learn how to manage living with strangers, and household diplomacy..)
Depends where you are and for how many weeks you have to pay, for example if your let is just term time, and you don't have to pay for the room in the holidays that is a considerable saving so you can pay more per week.
Reply 7
Leeds, £125 En-Suite
I pay around £160 however that's for an en-suite and I'm catered too, which includes breakfast and dinner.
Anything more than £100 is pretty much extortion for a room and shared kitchen. Student accommodation is outrageously expensive.

I just had a look on a property website and found a few houses nearby available to rent. One of them was a three bedroom terrace for £160/week.
Split evenly that's £53/week for an entire house not a tiny box room. Admittedly I don't live anywhere near London, but if you chose to go to university in London you know what you're getting yourself in for in terms of unreasonably high prices. I found quite a few 1 bed flats or rooms in houses in London for £90-£115/week just now. Obviously bills not included but you would be exempt from council tax if you're a full time university student.
Reply 10
I pay £163 per week, but that's for quite a large room, ensuite and catered weekdays (3 meals)and we get our room/ensuite cleaned fortnightly. Don't think mine's too bad. (Loughborough)
(edited 9 years ago)
I paid £90 p/w for my halls which weren't anything special but it was decent enough to live in. A good sized room with a sink, plus a fairly modern kitchen. I wouldn't really want to pay much more than that, i couldn't give a **** about these expensive ''super deluxe premium en suite'' rooms that so many universities are insisting on building these days.

I think the 'per week' figure makes it seem more expensive that it actually is though. I worked out that i'm paying £85 per week for my house once everything is added together (rent, bills & council tax which i'm paying by myself), over 12 months that comes to £4420. Whereas a £120 p/w 40 week contract in halls would come to £4800. Virtually no difference.
(edited 9 years ago)
I paid £94pw for en-suite accommodation, all bills included, 20 seconds away from the lecture theatre building. Hoorah for Liverpool and North West prices!
I'm hoping for around £85-100/week when I go to uni next year. The prices of accommodation in Durham are crazy (only one college on the City campus is self-catered, and it still charges £5000/year), but hopefully getting self-catered non-en-suite accommodation at Leeds, Warwick, Liverpool or Newcastle will still allow me to fit somewhere within my budget :smile:
My Leeds en-suite was £106 and not too far from uni/city centre either!
My washbasin room in Newcastle is £94 a week, and the location is pretty central too.
I would say anything more than £120 a week is expensive, but I wouldn't pay that much myself.
It really does vary but 9 times out of 10 halls are charged more than a private let for far less i.e even in west end of Glasgow you can get a large student room in private accomodation with cable tv and internet, all bills paid but not catered for under £100 a week around corner from uni but the halls would cost about £120 a week(is some cheaper ones but mostly taken by the richer students funnily enough)

When I was at uni in Chester I got a small room in a house but paid bills on top for £45 about 2 miles from uni but it was £130 a week on campus inc food and capped internet and zero cooking facilities(the internet was fast but download more than a gig a day and you were chucked off, 3 strikes and you were chucked off for good and had to pay a £100 fine!) if you got a student house at the accomodation fair just after christmas its about £45 a wwek to £60 for a massive room that you could fit 4-6 rooms in from halls, some about £65 included all bills.

Really does vary but as I say 9 times out of 10 halls charge more often as much as double for less than half what you get in private and unlike private ones you have next to no rights i.e tenancy rights do not apply.
Anything more than £5000 for the academic year...

I paid £4100 ish which was £111 a week when I was in halls that included everything including en suite and kitchen facilities (self-catering).
Anything over 100

But then imo there is no point paying for an ensuite

I paid £82 for self catered shared bathroom 3 years ago, now the same hall is on for £95 which imo is ridiculous. Worst part is they are soon demolishing it to build even more expensive accommodation. It ain't right.

I pay £65 a week for my room in my house share this year. So much cheaper
(edited 9 years ago)
It depends how much you have to spend and what you deem a necessity. If you must have an en-suite then youll probably be prepared to pay a bit more for it, I have an en-suite room and pay £145 a week for it but only have a 38 week contract, which is only 2 weeks longer than the academic year so Im not losing out on much really. If anything it's quite handy as it gives me leaway as to which day I actually leave to go home for the summer.

But Id agree with what most people have said generally that if its not got an en-suite don't pay more than £100 a week and if it does you could be paying between £130-£150 or more in London.

Quick Reply

Latest